[Commentary] The Myth of Multiple Suitors: How Daunte is shooting himself in the foot | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

[Commentary] The Myth of Multiple Suitors: How Daunte is shooting himself in the foot

It's a good point, but I think it's the wrong point. I think DC already has had contact with a team he wants to go to and wants to get there on the cheap. He said he didn't 'want to bring the baggage of his current contract' to his new team. That too specific of a statement to make without something relevant connected. I think the team wants him to get cut from the fins so they don't lose a pick and then they'll sign DC to most likely a performance based contract.

This article assumes DC is just sitting there waiting and mouthing off. He may very well ALREADY have a suitor and thus be trying to get them a good deal in return for a chance to play again.

Hey Dr. Z,

Nice to hear from you, as well.

Let me start by rewording a thought: I don't think Daunte views Jacksonville as his "dream" situation. And neither would I. If he goes there, he's immediately pushed into a QB contraversy. His acquisition would jettison Garrard (#2) and the fans would simply wait for Leftwich to screw up. I honestly think Daunte is tired of living in the up and down drama of a QB contraversy. He's stated a few times he simply wants to start over (in not so many words) and get a clean slate. He can't do that in Jacksonville. His acquisition would immediately split the FO, team and fanbase.

In St. Louis, he can fly under the radar. He can go into a non-pressure situation, rehab completely and come out a re-invented man. I think his image needs some "silence" right now. He needs to regroup and I think St. Louis is the perfect spot to do it. Not too mention, I firmly believe his loyalties lie more with Linehan than with Tice. Linehan invented Daunte's career. Tice merely oversaw it parts of it. And, the Linehan name brings more credibility.

Daunte could walk away from St. Louis with nothing but praise and recommendations. However, he could be run out of Jacksonville if things blow up. And I don't think his career can suffer another round of bad press.

The ironic thing is that after 1 year in St. Louis, he might find himself landing in Jacksonville. But, this time, Leftwich and possibly Garrad could both be gone. Now THAT, would be an ideal situation for him to land in Jacksonville.

Finally, I don't think the team is IN turmoil at the present over this situation. However, I was moreso implying it COULD be if it continues. We saw how the Trent Green saga made KC look bad. I think we COULD be headed for the same thing. As if we learned nothing from watching Trent's situation unfold.

You're attempting to display expertise on how Daunte would percieve the St. Louis/JAX situations.

BTW, how would the Rams situation not be a QB controversy? He's got Bulger there, a fan favorite who's due a new contract extension.

Ehhhhhhhh no. He said he wouldn't "restructure" for them. Yet, they have more than enough cap room to take on his base salary as is. If they're desperate enough, they could easily take on his salary. I look for this to play out with Jacksonville seeing how their last minicamp goes. If they don't come away from it satisfied, I can see him getting traded to the Jags before the start of their training camp.

Once again, you've managed to twist the meaning of words in an effort to disagree. And frankly, it gets old.

Understand the situation:

1) Daunte can use his contract as leverage in ANY situation (ours, the Jags, any other trade partner). He has the right to renegotiate. It is HIS leverage to block a trade. It cannot ultimately stop a trade, BUT it IS leverage and he CAN use it.

2) Jacksonville CAN pay his salary. But, won't. Otherwise it would have already been done. It's not like Leftwich is going to show them something in their last minicamp he hasn't shown every year he's been there. Jacksonville is not going to pick up the tab on Daunte when they've never seen him play on their team and have no gaurantee about his health or ability to play this year. ONLY the Miami Dolphins would do something like that.

Do you understand completely that Jacksonville walked all the way to the counter with Daunte and decided to put him back on the shelf? They've got their limits in the situation. Daunte found them and exploited them to his benefit to prevent the trade.

ANYTHING you say or I say at this point does NOT disprove the fact Daunte was NOT traded. Understand?

One more thing, stop commenting on my posts. You've done nothing but outright attack everything I've said. You've offered no support in anything I've posted and therefore your comments have become unwelcome. If you can't offer a peaceful and more pleasant tone while TRYING to offer an opposing viewpoint, ignore me or stop reading my posts.

Even in disagreement, adults can find an intelligent and respectful tone. Offer it or stop commenting on my posts.

I've exchanged enough posts with you to realize you're offering nothing but an aggressive and confrontational tone. Therefore, you're getting one from me. Do you understand?

• If a team has made an under-the-table deal with Culpepper to sign him as soon as he is released, that is tampering and feel both that team and Culpepper deserve -- at the very least -- to be forced to wait until the last possible moment to consumate a deal that's against the rules. The Dolphins and Trent Green agreed to the parameters of a deal, but the understanding was based on premise a trade could be worked out.
  • Speaking of situations that aren't really the same, comparing our handling of the Culpepper situation with the Titans/Steve McNair situation doesn't hold water. The Titans barred McNair from their facility entirely. The Dolphins are allowing Culpepper to continue his rehab while not disrupting team chemistry in the way that the Chiefs did by putting him through minicamp practice. Also, to speak of Culpepper's being barred from the practice field as if it is an ongoing situation isn't accurate either, as there are no on-field practices happening now.
  • One more thing. Wanting the best possible deal does not make Culpepper greedy, it makes him like every other player in the NFL. (Note: I just defended Daunte Culpepper.)

Once again, you've managed to twist the meaning of words in an effort to disagree. And frankly, it gets old.

Understand the situation:

1) Daunte can use his contract as leverage in ANY situation (ours, the Jags, any other trade partner). He has the right to renegotiate. It is HIS leverage to block a trade. It cannot ultimately stop a trade, BUT it IS leverage and he CAN use it.

He can't block the trade as he doesn't have a no-trade clause. He can, however, block any chances of a structure to torpedo the trade if that's what the trade hinges on.

2) Jacksonville CAN pay his salary. But, won't. Otherwise it would have already been done. It's not like Leftwich is going to show them something in their last minicamp he hasn't shown every year he's been there. Jacksonville is not going to pick up the tab on Daunte when they've never seen him play on their team and have no gaurantee about his health or ability to play this year. ONLY the Miami Dolphins would do something like that.

Strictly your opinion.

Do you understand completely that Jacksonville walked all the way to the counter with Daunte and decided to put him back on the shelf? They've got their limits in the situation. Daunte found them and exploited them to his benefit to prevent the trade.

Key phrase, "as of right now." That was the reason I brought up desperation if their last minicamp doesn't go well.

One more thing, stop commenting on my posts. You've done nothing but outright attack everything I've said. You've offered no support in anything I've posted and therefore your comments have become unwelcome. If you can't offer a peaceful and more pleasant tone while TRYING to offer an opposing viewpoint, ignore me or stop reading my posts.

Even in disagreement, adults can find an intelligent and respectful tone. Offer it or stop commenting on my posts.

I've exchanged enough posts with you to realize you're offering nothing but an aggressive and confrontational tone. Therefore, you're getting one from me. Do you understand?

Wow. Did you really expect for me to lay at the feet of all of your assumptions? Remember man, it's just a forum. You're reading too hard into my comments and making them personal and since you missed it - psssssst, they're about Daunte. If you don't want to be battled on the issue then don't comment because you know darn well this whole subject has alot of open-ends............but in the end it's all moot anyways. Bye-bye Daunte, hello Trent Green, hello 2007 Miami Dolphins.

Hey Dr. Z,

Nice to hear from you, as well.

Let me start by rewording a thought: I don't think Daunte views Jacksonville as his "dream" situation. And neither would I. If he goes there, he's immediately pushed into a QB contraversy. His acquisition would jettison Garrard (#2) and the fans would simply wait for Leftwich to screw up. I honestly think Daunte is tired of living in the up and down drama of a QB contraversy. He's stated a few times he simply wants to start over (in not so many words) and get a clean slate. He can't do that in Jacksonville. His acquisition would immediately split the FO, team and fanbase.

In St. Louis, he can fly under the radar. He can go into a non-pressure situation, rehab completely and come out a re-invented man. I think his image needs some "silence" right now. He needs to regroup and I think St. Louis is the perfect spot to do it. Not too mention, I firmly believe his loyalties lie more with Linehan than with Tice. Linehan invented Daunte's career. Tice merely oversaw it parts of it. And, the Linehan name brings more credibility.

Daunte could walk away from St. Louis with nothing but praise and recommendations. However, he could be run out of Jacksonville if things blow up. And I don't think his career can suffer another round of bad press.

The ironic thing is that after 1 year in St. Louis, he might find himself landing in Jacksonville. But, this time, Leftwich and possibly Garrad could both be gone. Now THAT, would be an ideal situation for him to land in Jacksonville.

Finally, I don't think the team is IN turmoil at the present over this situation. However, I was moreso implying it COULD be if it continues. We saw how the Trent Green saga made KC look bad. I think we COULD be headed for the same thing. As if we learned nothing from watching Trent's situation unfold.

Nathan, do you really think Culpepper is content to be a backup this year? I don't. His comments to me have sounded like those of someone whose anxious to play now.

Wouldn't we atleast get a late round comp. pick by cutting him? Or are comp picks just for players that you don't resign after their contracts are up? I would venture to guess that whatever comp pick we would get(if we get one) wouldn't be much different from what we are asking in compensation for him in the first place...

Wouldn't we atleast get a late round comp. pick by cutting him? Or are comp picks just for players that you don't resign after their contracts are up? I would venture to guess that whatever comp pick we would get(if we get one) wouldn't be much different from what we are asking in compensation for him in the first place...

I think (though I'm not sure on this) that compensatory picks are only granted for teams who have unrestricted free agents signed by another team. This implies a FA whose contact has simply been nonrenewed, rather than someone who is cut. Otherwise, comp picks would be given out all over the place for cut players.

I have to give In Flames credit. He's done a whole series of Dolphins-as-comic-book-characters sigs. And they all rock.

I just noticed he added the tongue too.........was that because of that one pictures with the Islanders where one of them has his tongue jacked out?

I think (though I'm not sure on this) that compensatory picks are only granted for teams who have unrestricted free agents signed by another team. This implies a FA whose contact has simply been nonrenewed, rather than someone who is cut. Otherwise, comp picks would be given out all over the place for cut players.
Thx Doc, I am quite sure that as long as I live I will never fully understand the mystery that is the Comp Pick

Thanks for your response. Remember, I said this was an atypical situation. I think if a team is considering Culpepper as a starter, they will want to trade for him and be able to monitor his progress as soon as possible. The longer teams have to wait to acquire him, the less they'll be interested in acquiring him at all -- in my opinion.

And a general response to several posters -- I don't think Culpepper is stupid. I question the wisdom (and that's difference than intelligence: ask any Dungeons & Dragons player) of any athlete acting as his own agent.

I think you make a good point about a player not being able to truely value himself in a way that an agent would.

I just don't think that any team looking to sign DC is looking to him as a starter, and most likely not even the immediate backup due to his health status. If this turns out to be true (a team like Jax is a perfect example) then waiting another month to get him for nothing (no draft compensation) would be a good move for said team.

The Dolphins' biggest misstep was allowing Culpepper on the practice field. While they're trying to work out a trade, it's in their best interests to help Culpepper keep rehabbing while keeping his true football readiness a mystery and letting the new offense gel.

I think an even bigger misstep was the team airing contract business in front of the entire team, I have never heard of this happening with any other player on any other team. Telling DC that he would be traded and also telling him that he would not be able to fully participate in the practice in front of the team is what made DC change his stance on working with the Phins for a trade. (IMO, of course)

Back
Top Bottom