Commentary: When the Fins Need a New Coach, They Should Take a Lesson from Redskins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Commentary: When the Fins Need a New Coach, They Should Take a Lesson from Redskins

LouPhinFan

It's ok to say "I don't know".
Club Member
Reaction score
The sunburned savant hunched over the lectern, fielding pointed questions from reporters after a loss that peeled away a little more of his Mastermind mystique.

Those reporters mostly needed to know why Washington's red-faced leader, Mike Shanahan, would switch starting quarterbacks just a day before the Redskins fell 20-9 to the Dolphins - even though the deeper issue was why a once-proud NFL franchise would be forced into choosing between Rex Grossman and John Beck.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports...miami-dolphins-need-a-coach-they-1966879.html

The commentary makes good points. The NFL isn't like college. NFL success depends as much on the rest of the front office and how well the franchise is run as much as good coaching. For those Cowher and Gruden fans, the odds are against them winning another Superbowl. Could Cowher have won a Superbowl if he was the coach of the Seahawks, Lions, or Jets instead of the Steelers? Could Gruden have won that Superbowl if Dungy hadn't put that defense together for him before he was canned? Those are legitmate questions.

Personally I will be disappointed if they hire either, at least without a valid and complete coaching search. If the interview a good list (including some up and coming hungry coaches) and still decide that Cowher or Gruden are best then so be it. I won't be happy, but I'll accept it.

Personally I will be disappointed if they hire either, at least without a valid and complete coaching search. If the interview a good list (including some up and coming hungry coaches) and still decide that Cowher or Gruden are best then so be it. I won't be happy, but I'll accept it.

This is what I truely hope for. I have no names to throw out there but I would much rather see an up and coming coach.

Anyone else think the GM is more important than the Head Coach?

I was listening to Fox Sports radio a few weeks ago, and they brought an interesting point up. When a coach has extended success in the NFL, they start to believe that it's all their system and not the players at all. Now good coaching can make players look really good, but you need to be able to put players in a good position to succeed. Shanny really hasn't done that with the Redskins and instead has just made moves IMO to just make moves. He made a lot of poor decisions towards the end of his days at Denver, and they're showing up in Washington again.

You need to have a plan when you're revamping a team and you have to have your players' skill set in mind. Shanny has been trying to fit square pegs in round holes the last 2 years.

Just for a reference, he is on pace to have a worse 2 year record than either Jim Zorn or Steve Spurrier.

you need the GM and HC to be on the same page. That's why the Steelers have been so successful throughout their history. Kevin Colbert especially has been able to work very well with both Cowher and Tomlin. Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthey know exactly what type of players they want on the Packers.

Hell, even a team like the Browns who are awful now (though even their fans blame a lot of that on Mangini for trading their top bargaining chips for peanuts) have been able to pickup some nice looking young players because Holmgren and Shurmur are on the same page with what type of team they want.

There is a lot to be said about that point. I think that if you have a GM that can find good talent in the draft and free agency along with being wise with trades then that can make up for a so-so coach. As long as he's not a complete moron or in over his head (like Caldwell up in Indy) then utilizing good talent properly is all he really has to do.

I want a young and hungry head coach. Same with the GM.

We've tried big name coaches and big name front office types. I want to emulate the Green Bay/Atlanta style. No ego's to get in the way of doing what's best for the franchise when you're going for a young coach and gm who are trying to prove themselves. The problem with the Gruden/Cowher types is that coaches that have success from somewhere else, is that they come in with an attitude that they can do no wrong and that they know exactly what they're doing. They tend to forget the probability that they weren't afraid to ask others for input while they had their success.

Just my two cents

you need the GM and HC to be on the same page. That's why the Steelers have been so successful throughout their history. Kevin Colbert especially has been able to work very well with both Cowher and Tomlin. Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthey know exactly what type of players they want on the Packers.

Hell, even a team like the Browns who are awful now (though even their fans blame a lot of that on Mangini for trading their top bargaining chips for peanuts) have been able to pickup some nice looking young players because Holmgren and Shurmur are on the same page with what type of team they want.

Basically this.

They are equally important.

Hear, hear!

You need talented players, but let's be honest here: *everyone* is talented in the NFL. Sure, players head and shoulders above their peers can turn things around by themselves sometimes. But mostly, it's not about individual talent; it's about maximizing everyone's talents. Which is why a coach is important, obviously - he sets the schemes, the tempo of the team. But it's also why the GM is critical - you don't necessarily require an absolute mastermind at recognizing talent, you need someone that recognizes what each player does well and what he doesn't, and (in tandem with his coaches' needs) gets the best players for whatever you're trying to build.

In other, shorter words: they're both important, because they work together. If they're pulling in different directions (or simply don't have a direction), they'll fail, period. You can build around *any* idea (some are harder than others, obviously), you just have to be consistent about it.

here's a story I remember reading about the Lions when Millen was the GM.

One year, it was the second round and the staff was discussing who to pick. They couldn't make a decision and one scout spoke up and said "How about that RB from Wisconsin?" (Brian Calhoun). Calhoun was not on their draft board, but they picked him anyways.

I want a young and hungry coach. It's too bad Harbaugh made up his mind about the 49ers, obviously we could have paid him more but the guy had Burgandy and Gold going through his veins. Nothing was going to pull him away from his dream job.

I want a young and hungry coach. It's too bad Harbaugh made up his mind about the 49ers, obviously we could have paid him more but the guy had Burgandy and Gold going through his veins. Nothing was going to pull him away from his dream job.
He didn't even have to move. I think for his family it was a simple decision.

Back
Top Bottom