Commentary: Who’s Next? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Commentary: Who’s Next?

By: Phil Unwin a quote
If he only had a year or two in the league, I could overlook his flaws and focus on the positives. But he’s going to be 28 years old. This will be his fifth year in the league.

" so what you telling me is he has a chance"..........ha
seriously you do have sound logic that was carefully thought out.....how is this for a "generality"...bushism Feeley is only (playing wise) very inexperienced and we could talk until we are blue in the face, but if and I mean "if" he can be the man, he would have a good five years in him and the qb search isn't so pressing for a franchise guy.
Saban can't fix everything in one draft and did add a few quality players.The future at QB isn't top priority right now......maybe next year it will be depending on the level of play this year.......................how is that for talking alot and saying nothing?

Thanks for the article. It's a good read. I happen to disagree with you about Feeley. In essence he was a rookie last year. You figure that he had just 13 starts in college and the pros combined prior to taking the reins this past year. He played like a rookie, and did exactly what you want a rookie to do...he got better. I think he will benefit from the coaching and running game even more so. He is probably still another year out before he hits his stride, which is fine. We are at least another draft and off season away with putting the talent around him.

If he does flop, and it can happen, look for Saban to chase after Rohan Davey his old QB from LSU.

I agree with you about Omar Jacobs, I think he is going to be a great pro and I am sure people are starting to notice I am real high on this guy, I have started a couple of threads on him in the past. His numbers are too damn good to look past, plus hes very athletic. I hope we get a shot at him.

fin-atic said:
Thanks for the article. It's a good read. I happen to disagree with you about Feeley. In essence he was a rookie last year. You figure that he had just 13 starts in college and the pros combined prior to taking the reins this past year. He played like a rookie, and did exactly what you want a rookie to do...he got better. I think he will benefit from the coaching and running game even more so. He is probably still another year out before he hits his stride, which is fine. We are at least another draft and off season away with putting the talent around him.

If he does flop, and it can happen, look for Saban to chase after Rohan Davey his old QB from LSU.

Thanks Matt!

I hope I'm wrong about Feeley. But here's the thing: lack of experience or no, there just aren't that many QBs who make a quantum leap at that age. True, in terms of in-game experience, he's probably about on par with David Carr, or maybe even Carson Palmer. However, he's going to be 28. He got to learn from Donovan McNabb on the field and one of the best offensive coaching staffs in football off it for three years. He SHOULD have been ready to start at that point. Admittedly, having the NFL's worst running game behind him and the NFL's worst coaching staff supporting him stunted his development. But still, the track record of QBs suddenly "getting it" at Feeley's age is not a long one. In fact, I can only think of one: Steve Young. If he's the next Young, awesome. But I'm betting he's not.

Davey's interesting, but I wonder how deep those LSU roots go with Saban. Davey hasn't shown us much; probably not enough for Saban to risk putting his future in his hands. Then again, he hasn't really had the chance.

In terms of age for a QB........

28 is nothing.......

The average age for a QB to retire(that can find a job) is in his late 30`s.

DeeAy3000 said:
I agree with you about Omar Jacobs, I think he is going to be a great pro and I am sure people are starting to notice I am real high on this guy, I have started a couple of threads on him in the past. His numbers are too damn good to look past, plus hes very athletic. I hope we get a shot at him.

I know NOTHING about Jacobs save for the few scouting snippets I've read, as well as his Tecmo-like stats from 2004. But based on that, I like him. :)

Like I said, a 41-4 TD-INT ratio is impressive anywhere. I don't care if he's playing Division III football...with the other team fielding their cheerleaders on defense. That's impressive.

guys jake delhomme blew up at age 29 i think. noone heard of him, didnt even beat out peete until the season opener they pulled rodney and put jake and and he hasnt looked back. 28 isnt exactly young. but i like to think of AJ as a young 28 with alot of room for development

fin-atic said:

I like your thinking. And remember, the Ravens won the SB with whathisname at QB. The team aroiund the QB helps and with a solid group around him, Feeley may be good enough. Nobody expects him to be Marino. But maybe with a better line, better running game, better coaches, and a bit more experience he could be reliable. Reliable may be all we need.

HVACservice said:
In terms of age for a QB........

28 is nothing.......

The average age for a QB to retire(that can find a job) is in his late 30`s.

And what's the age at which it becomes clear that they are (or will be) a competent starting QB? It's usually 24 or 25. Those three lost years are critical. Like I said, there's Steve Young, and then there's a bunch of never-weres. QBs very seldom become studs at that advanced age.

I never said Feeley didn't have a place in the NFL. There's no reason he can't have one of those Neil O'Donnell careers, where he's nothing special as a starter, but has a decade or so as a well-regarded backup.

Brees just turned 26, meaning that he was 25 when he had a breakout season.

However, I have to give Claytonandduper some credit. Delhomme was 28 when he had his breakout season. So was Kurt Warner, though that was a particularly unusual case.

phunwin said:
And what's the age at which it becomes clear that they are (or will be) a competent starting QB? It's usually 24 or 25. Those three lost years are critical. Like I said, there's Steve Young, and then there's a bunch of never-weres. QBs very seldom become studs at that advanced age.

I never said Feeley didn't have a place in the NFL. There's no reason he can't have one of those Neil O'Donnell careers, where he's nothing special as a starter, but has a decade or so as a well-regarded backup.

I think you are putting to much stock into "holding a clipboard", "being in the league" and "two critical years" of an age difference.

I dont care how long you sit on the sidelines and take notes. There is nothing like "getting your hands dirty".

And to tell you the truth I think AJ did "get it".

90 +passes without an INT to conclude the season. That to me was "getting it". Its just too bad Wanny decided to play musical QB`s during TC. Feeley should have been handed the reins from the get go. I wonder what sort of progression he would have shown then? What if RW stuck around and Feeley had a running game?What if Feeley didnt have to start against the eventuall 15-2 Steelers during a hurricane?

What if.......Feeley was NOT dealt a fu#ked up hand?

He went thru all of that and still manages to come out if it playing better and better.

Like my father says "sometimes you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet".

Last year Feeley broke some eggs.....

This year I think he is going to make the omelet.

phunwin said:
Brees just turned 26, meaning that he was 25 when he had a breakout season.

How many starts did Brees have at the beginning of the season?

The guy "broke out" only after extensive playing time.

Back
Top Bottom