Commentary: Zach is Still the Man | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Commentary: Zach is Still the Man

Zach finished with 145 tackles behind an injured defensive line. But we should also point out the fact that Zach did it in 13 games.

That's a good point to make Muck. I agree with the article. Zach has been and still is the most important player on the defensive side of the ball. The defence hasn't been the same when he has been forced to miss games. The Tenessee game a couple of years ago is a good example. The only thing I take issue with is saying Olindo Mare has been one of our best players year in and year out. To me that doesn't make any sense. The last couple of years his field goal kicking has gone significantly downhill and he has missed some key kicks. Other than that good article.

" The Miami defensive scheme is dependant on the tackles being able to tie up those huge offensive linemen to keep them off the linebackers."

That should have said....."The Miami defensive scheme WAS dependant on....."
Its a new era with new systems on offense AND defense. Things that were absolutely necessary before (dominating DTs, smaller speedy LBs, great man coverage CBs) now may be a liability....or at least far less important than in the Wannabe system.

Bottom line, there maybe some linbackers faster then Zach, but no one even comes close to game prep, studying film, and being able to react to plays as they are called. I wish our younger linebackers would follow in Zach's footsteps.

in my relatively short time watching football on this earth, ive seen some lb's better than zack, even the youngest can put forth ray lewis' name. but you guys got it right, noone prepares harder and is more knowledgable about the game. ive seen him diagnose screens draws and trick plays as fast as i can on tv with a huge viewing angle. you dont get much more cerebral than zach. hes going to be dominant again...imo

Zach doesn't have the size and physical abilities other LBs have but he has more heart and brain than any of them. People ranted on Zach when he was first drafted and for some idiotic reason, they still do. He plays smart and that's how good players stay in this league.

Zack Thomas is like Allen Iverson in the way they play.. Undersized, both fly around with reckless abandon. Both play through injuries. Both tend to be slightly underrated by others.

yankeehillbilly said:
" The Miami defensive scheme is dependant on the tackles being able to tie up those huge offensive linemen to keep them off the linebackers."

That should have said....."The Miami defensive scheme WAS dependant on....."
Its a new era with new systems on offense AND defense. Things that were absolutely necessary before (dominating DTs, smaller speedy LBs, great man coverage CBs) now may be a liability....or at least far less important than in the Wannabe system.
Wasn't that the JJ system?

It's not a matter of burying Zach...he is still a very good LB. He does not, however, fit into Saban's idea of a prototypical LB. So the speculation, rightfully so, is that he will be moving on...and if he had been in PS situation contracturally, he would've been gone too...but the cap implications dictate otherwise. The issue is that will he be as "good" in Saban's scheme as compared to the JJ/Wanny scheme ?? I personally don't think so...as it states, he'll have trouble shedding blockers (something several teams have done well against him) in Saban's scheme. That will, in the eyes of the fans, make it look like he will have a "less than stellar" year...One other thing about Saban...he is very adept at taking the talent he has and getting the most from them...That says to me that he'll find ways to utilize Zach's strengths. But if he has only 110 tackles (that most likely would be due to the new scheme)...many fans will be further down on him after next season...Zach's issue will be that after next year, he'll be 33 yrs old and may not get a shot at returning to his old self unless he hooks up with a Jim Bates or someone who could put him back into the JJ scheme...

LarryFinFan said:
It's not a matter of burying Zach...he is still a very good LB. He does not, however, fit into Saban's idea of a prototypical LB. So the speculation, rightfully so, is that he will be moving on...and if he had been in PS situation contracturally, he would've been gone too...but the cap implications dictate otherwise. The issue is that will he be as "good" in Saban's scheme as compared to the JJ/Wanny scheme ?? I personally don't think so...as it states, he'll have trouble shedding blockers (something several teams have done well against him) in Saban's scheme. That will, in the eyes of the fans, make it look like he will have a "less than stellar" year...One other thing about Saban...he is very adept at taking the talent he has and getting the most from them...That says to me that he'll find ways to utilize Zach's strengths. But if he has only 110 tackles (that most likely would be due to the new scheme)...many fans will be further down on him after next season...Zach's issue will be that after next year, he'll be 33 yrs old and may not get a shot at returning to his old self unless he hooks up with a Jim Bates or someone who could put him back into the JJ scheme...

That's a good point, just like last years' scheme inflated Zach's numbers compared to the rest of the league, this year's scheme will take tackles away from his totals, in theory.

What can change that theory is how other teams go about scheming against our defense. Are they going to make sure that Zach is accounted for every play? Are they going to worry about other players because Zach is no longer THE plug in spout at the end of the funnel? Could less focus on Zach increase his effectivenss, or will one blocker getting to him be enough to completely alter his game? Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Should be interesting but, far from a sure thing that Zach will play well enough to forever be linked to the Miami Dolphins.

Zach had a ton of tackles....Yep and the system was all about Zach making the tackles even without our starting DT's there. The dolphins had the most rushing attempts against in the entire league last year, so it isnt a stretch that our starting MLB would have so many tackles. Just without our starting DT's the tackles were further and further past the line of scrimmage as the game and season went on.

inFINSible said:
Should be interesting but, far from a sure thing that Zach will play well enough to forever be linked to the Miami Dolphins.

???

You mean 9 years (and counting), 5 Pro Bowls and a probable trip to the Hall of Fame aren't enough to forever link him to the Miami Dolphins? Wow, you're a tough sell.

phunwin said:
???

You mean 9 years (and counting), 5 Pro Bowls and a probable trip to the Hall of Fame aren't enough to forever link him to the Miami Dolphins? Wow, you're a tough sell.
I meant his entire playing career. PCOW, sorry. :D

Back
Top Bottom