Comments made by an LSU player.. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Comments made by an LSU player..

FiN.in.RI said:
Some players may not like Saban's approach because their egos are too big.. (i.e. Jay Williams) To those people I say: "Find a new team"

agreed - bye bye doggie

does b.b. in ne stroke his players? did j.j. in dallas? i could be way off here but it seems to me that loud, angry coaches not only survive but succeed in football. jmo. if i am wrong please show me. j.j. used to scorch his team. i think b.b. does the same. super bowls both of them. but i could be wrong.

If you listen to the philosophical stuff Saban says, you hear common sense and not some dick trying to bully you into something. In his PC, he was a bit tough in the facial expressions when it came to talking about who he would draft and how he is looking at the players. He has a toughness about him that tells me he is ready for the NFL and has been for some time. If you go to Shula's hotel, you will see the pic of Shula chewing out someone on the sidelines................I miss those days.

CRAZYDOLFAN305 said:
Nick 007

How do you think some of the players are going to react to Nick's approach in regards to his agressive attitude. ??

Actually, Saban's personality may be more of an advantage than disadvantage. The leaders of the team (ZT, JT, SM, RM) are a little more mature than the average 19 yr old college player, so the rah, rah type stuff doesn't work as well with them. At any rate, the bottom line is that while not every player will think of Saban as his best friend, we just came from 5 years of that crap and it hasn't worked, has it ?? If you want to win, you have to be serious about winning, that is the definition of Saban as far as I can tell between what I know of him as a DC and college coach. Players adapt to different styles of coaching differently...some guys will love Saban, some won't. We just have to get used to that...

From the article...

Saban preferred teaching techniques and avoided a lot of hitting and tackling at practice

I like this. Our players have always complained about their bodies being worn out from all the contact in practice. Even last year with Wanny, when he supposedly backed off in training camp.

This will be a welcomed change IMO. I've always been a fan of fundamantals.

d-day said:
The Wolf: You're... Wayne, right? This is your house?
Wayne: Sure is.
The Wolf: I'm coach Saban. I solve problems.
Wayne: Good, we got one.
The Wolf: So I heard. May I come in?
Wayne: Uh, yeah, please do.

The Wolf: J.T. lead the way. Boys, get to work.
Jay Williams: A please would be nice.
The Wolf: What?
Jay Williams: I said a please would be nice.
The Wolf: Get it straight, gentlemen: I'm not here to say please, I'm here to tell you what to do. And if self-preservation is an instinct that you possess, you'd better do it and do it quick. If my help's not appreciated, lots of luck, gentlemen.
J.T.: No, Mr. Wolf, it ain't like that...
Jay Williams: I don't mean any disrespect, I just don't like people barking orders at me.
The Wolf: If I'm curt with you, it's because time is a factor here. I think fast, I talk fast, and I need you guys to act fast if you want to get out of this. So, pretty please, with sugar on top, or i'm cleaning house.

I love it. But at the end, you were nicer than Harvey Keitel. ;) Then again, it's the offseason. So it fits.

Coach Saban is just what the doctor ordered for this squad. Without a doubt.

I want the coach that is a stickler for detail. We all know they team played hard last year, but facts are facts, they missed blocks, tackles, open reads, etc. I like the fact that Saban will get in your face and tell you your breath stinks and to fix the problem. If you are getting paid an ungodly amount of money and think you have no issues that can be fixed, you need to go to another team. I want us to have a hard assed attitude and punch the other team right in the mouth this year.

The main reason we lost so many games last year (IMO) was due to the terrible mental lapses/mistakes we made in key areas of games. This can only reflect the horrific coaching job that Wanny and his crew did last year. This especially applied to the O-Line which was constantly blowing assignments, jumping off-sides, etc. Yes, Wanny/Speilman made awful personnell decisions but we had enough talent to win more games than we did...so with proper coaching the Phins may indeed surprise the heck out of the NFL soon.

I can tell you from experience, that a critical coach is always the better coach. It's the attention to detail or they say "paying attention to the little things" that make teams better. "Repition is the mother of all skills", Vince Lombardi. Etc. Etc.
Yelling and screaming comes from passion, but the timing of it is crutial. A smart coach is one who gets the most from his players and sometimes you need a whip to get guys in gear.
I feel that Coach Saban has been a professional coach stuck in college waiting for the right opportunity. He's got a great opportunity here and I welcome what he brings. He reminds me of the "Larry Czonka" type and our team will be in good shape for years to come.

Saban will get them working and thinking. His tactics will make them sharp. Wanny was a pushover and no one took him seriously, won't happen to Saban.

I had coaches that were screamers, and they usually didn't scream unless they had a good reason to. They are passionate about the game. Nothing wrong with that.

I think everyone is confusing personality styles with being a good coach. Being a player friendly coach isn't a bad thing, and neither is being a disciplinarian. However, neither of those things matter if the coach doesn't know how to best use his talent and call/manage the game. Some disciplinarian coaches suck, and sometimes a player's coach will be successful.

In the end, it is all about competency. Wanny didn't lose because he was soft, he lost because he simply wasn't competent. If Saban wins, it isn't because he is tough, it is because he is a competent coach. Regardless what style is employed by the coach, he will still have to earn respect through winning. Winning tells the players that the coach knows what he is doing and re-enforces why he is a good coach...once that respect is earned, the idiosyncracies of the coache's personality are simply accepted as part of the winning formula.

Muck said:
From the article...

I like this. Our players have always complained about their bodies being worn out from all the contact in practice. Even last year with Wanny, when he supposedly backed off in training camp.

This will be a welcomed change IMO. I've always been a fan of fundamantals.

Muck, you beat me to the punch. I actually read that and was more encouraged about Saban's style than I was before. I thought at his worst, he might be another Tom Coughlin. You guys all know that has to be our biggest fear with such a personality for a coach.

Personality is the key word to me. The coach has to be a personality. I think he has to be a bit unapproachable, even volatile. Players have to be in constant fear of their jobs. We already knew that Saban had this kind of personality. It's the kind of thing that inspires players to play really well out of fear. The glory is there to be had for these players. They do something good on the field they hear it immediately from the fans. Everywhere they go if they've made a name for themselves, they are recognized and treated like gods among men. They've got enough of the damn glory. They need more of the fear.

But with Saban actually preferring to teach technique rather than hitting, that reminds me more of Shula than anyone...but I have to admit my memory doesn't stretch back very far into the Shula era. Jimmy Johnson was definitely a very hard trainer during the offseason, hitting was a big part of his camps, and he was physically demanding. He also was a big personality. It worked in Dallas, didn't work in Miami. Not surprising, that kind of thing can be very hit or miss depending on the situation and I think eventually JJ would have succeeded in Miami, had he had the stamina to continue. Saban is a big, fearful, unapproachable personality as well, but he goes easy on the players in camp. That will win over player support, and make them fearful. I don't pretend to know overall whether this will work or not, but I think it might.

Back
Top Bottom