Comments on the Offensive Line | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Comments on the Offensive Line

KB21

Club Member
Reaction score
This is just based on what I've heard from Nick Saban after these three mini camp practices.

It appears that the coaching staff definitely feels Vernon Carey has the ability to play left tackle. Nick Saban specifically mentioned that Vernon is a big guy with a lot of power and a lot of range. Vernon is far more athletic than a lot of people think. Anyway, the one thing Nick keep stating about Vernon is that he needs to get to a consistent level. It sounds like at this point he may be up one minute and down the next in his play. However, it is clear that the coaching staff is giving him every opportunity to be the left tackle, and Nick Saban truly believes that Hudson Houck can get the best out of Vernon Carey.

I've heard nothing on Jeno James to this point. I felt Jeno was very disappointing last season. Hopefully, he will improve in the new system.

To this point, the team has been rotating Seth McKinney and Rex Hadnot at center. I think at some point Nick Saban envisions Rex being at center at some point. I think there will be some mobility issues with Rex at center.

Rex is currently lining up at right guard as well, but I heard Nick state that they are also lining up John St. Clair at right guard when they move Rex to center. That could be the pairing they will be looking at.

Stockar McDougle appears to really have himself in great shape this year, and much like Vernon Carey, they are looking for some consistency out of him.

As far as some of the other linemen, I haven't heard them mentioned specifically. Nothing on Damion Cook or Damion McIntosh to this point. I'm really curious to see how McIntosh adapts to the idea that he may be a reserve.

According to all reports, Rex Hadnot has been working at right guard (with the first unit too) while Wade Smith has been the one rotating in with Seth McKinney at center.

Well, Nick stated that Rex was working at center when St. Clair was at right guard.

God, I hope this doesn't turn into another revolving door OL like we had last year (in more than one sense). I don't think it will, and I know that Saban's just mixing and matching now, trying to get the best result, but still. Call it emotional scarring from the Wannstedt Era.

I was very excited when we signed McDougle. I've already stated in a previous post that he'd be the biggest surprise of the season. People forget easily (because Joey Harrington sucks, and before drafting Kevin Jones, they had Larry, Curly and Moe running the ball), but that Lions OL he played on was GOOD. I think we got a steal with him, and I'm glad he's done nothing to disprove that so far.

I hope we can find a place for St. Clair. He was our best lineman last year and deserves a starting spot somewhere on the line.

I know this is slanted humor semi on topic but i think there may be something to McKinneys sweaty butt syndrome. Aj said something about it last year and during the minicamp (10 minutes into practice) I observed Mckinney's shorts were soaking on the back side as well. Maybe thats why the are rotating people in.. tired of the butt sweat on the ball, as sick as that is.

IF VERNON CAREY CAN PLAY LEFT TACKLE.....it amazes me that the prior coaching staff sat him out last year.

awing_pilot said:
I know this is slanted humor semi on topic but i think there may be something to McKinneys sweaty butt syndrome. Aj said something about it last year and during the minicamp (10 minutes into practice) I observed Mckinney's shorts were soaking on the back side as well. Maybe thats why the are rotating people in.. tired of the butt sweat on the ball, as sick as that is.

He's probably like me and has more hair on his *** than a lot of people have on their head.

KB21 said:
He's probably like me and has more hair on his *** than a lot of people have on their head.

Ah, so *THAT'S* why you have The Beast as your avatar. :lol:

Hell, I went to the beach a couple of weeks ago. I put sun screen on and still got a sun burn. I think my hair soaked up all the sun screen and it didn't make it to my skin.

KB21 said:
Hell, I went to the beach a couple of weeks ago. I put sun screen on and still got a sun burn. I think my hair soaked up all the sun screen and it didn't make it to my skin.

:roflmao:

You'd think your hair would provide your skin some shade...

GRT8 said:
IF VERNON CAREY CAN PLAY LEFT TACKLE.....it amazes me that the prior coaching staff sat him out last year.

As time goes by and we see things change for the better, I kind of get the feeling as to how INEPT our previous coaching staff was at identifying problems with schemes, lack of experience and talent. :(

I mean Houck stated that Smith has not the size to be a LT, but Dave put him there for a hole season as a rookie. We saw his problems but the coaching staff still went with him, stating that he was the best the team had. :confused:

We will see improvements all around this year, and the talent, experience and schemes are what the coaches bring to the game plan, something that was lacking on the OL unit last year.

Everyone is saying that maybe Houck can bring Carey along at LT(probably the toughest position along the line, and a position he doesnt have alot of experience at), but wouldnt it be more realistic that Houck can get McKinney to improve at center? A position he has experience in...Houck in 2002 had undrafted Jason Ball start 13 games as a rookie, and had 3rd round rookie Hardwick start 14 games for the chargers last year. Houck seemed to have alot of good luck with the center position, which may come from the fact that he played center in college for the Trojans. With Houck around i think the center position is the least of our worries.

Just my random thoughts on the center position.

Back
Top Bottom