Commercial Point Karting Classic

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Fins1971, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins Finheaven VIP

Geared up in the pits
    [​IMG]

Entering the starting grid
    [​IMG]

Rolling into position
    [​IMG]

Race picture
    [​IMG]

fishfanmiami likes this.
  2. Fins1971

The winners. The 51 kart of Eric ***an smoked me in my race. Need to get a lot better

[​IMG]

fishfanmiami likes this.
  3. Fins1971

fishfanmiami likes this.
  4. Fins1971

It's a year later and the 2018 Commercial Point Karting Classic is this weekend. Its a big chance to learn from my mistakes last year and see if I can do better and avoid the barrels. A lot has changed for me since the race last year. My divorce was finalized in November and I have buried myself in my karting business and racing since. My brother and I have scheduled about 30 races this year with this one being the biggest.

Our rental business has started to pickup and the owner of Wilmington Raceway Park (WRP) offered us his concession rental business to run. We have been doing that for a month and using it to feed customers to our arrive and race business.

When we arrive for race this year we won't have a 10 year old kart to race like last year. We are showing up as vendors "Beyond The Karts" and we will have 3 brand new Ironwill karts in our pit area. Dan is racing one in the 206 medium class. Dan is one of the main fabricators for the kart chassis at WRP. So he will be racing a kart that he built from tubes and inanimate karts parts. He was my crew last year so this is his first chance to try this track. I'm racing another in the 206 heavy class and the last will be on display in our pit area.

WRP has 2 other karts it is working on building right now. Our display kart hopefully can gain some customers for those karts in production and also draw attention to our arrive and race rental business. It going to be an exciting weekend.

Pictures to follow.

fishfanmiami likes this.
  5. Blackcreekbandit

Blackcreekbandit Derek Jeter sits when he pees Finheaven VIP Donator

I'm glad you have found something that brings much joy to your life! Enjoy man i will be rooting for ya from afar

fishfanmiami and Fins1971 like this.
  6. Fins1971

Returned from Commercial Point unscathed. They call this the Monaco of gokart racing because there is no runoff anywhere. If you make a mistake you will pay dearly. I made contact with the plastic barrier trying to avoid a wreck qualifying on Saturday and it cost me a side nerf bar and I had to start the feature race from 20th in a field of 23 on Sunday. I worked my way all the way up to 12th place late in the race. There were 5 karts in my pack fighting for 12th place. We raced 3 wide at the finish and I ended up taking 14th place. My goal was to finish better than my 18th place finish last year and not get lapped. I was able to do both. Our pack was only 20 seconds behind the last payout spots for the race. Something to shoot for next year.
    This had to be the best 12 minutes that I have had in a long time. Feature race from the front of Ironwill #19

This wreck happened in my brothers race. He went by and about 4 karts later the girl over-steered and packed it into the turn one barrier. 1 kart behind flipped on side and the other got by. A third trailing by a few seconds didn't react and had to drive head on into the barrier to avoid the karts in the track. Luckily no one was seriously hurt. That turn can be scary. You lift at the last second doing between 55-60 and turn into a blind 20 ft wide alley. If you miss or are following someone who misses it ain't pretty. Here is the wreck

fishfanmiami likes this.
  7. Fins1971

Here's a few more video's

I noticed a bolt fall from rear tire of kart ahead of me when we pulled out of grid for practice. I tried to catch him but he was faster than me. I finally caught him when he started to feel vibration and was slowing. The tire flies off in front of me and hits barrier and goes back past me and grazes driver who was on my bumper. Good thing he had fast reflexes.

LO206 Heavy Race was red flagged before it even got started. Sitting in the 95 degree sun waiting for restart on main stretch. Ironically "If I ever Get out of Here" by Paul McCartney came on. I chuckled and enjoyed the moment.

8. Fins1971

OK, combined all the near misses, crashes, passes and good pictures into a 6 minute video that documents our weekend at Commercial Point.
    I will be back there again next year trying to improve my finish. Definitely something you'll never forget. Till then.