Common Sense= Earl Thomas | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Common Sense= Earl Thomas

We're not drafting McClain, and Kindle shouldn't be drafted before the 2nd.
I don't think we will either...but I think McClain is a better overall prospect than Thomas or any of the OLB's. I don't follow Texas football that much, so I must say that I had never heard of Thomas before the combine. Now everybody is in love with the kid. Honestly he looks a little skinny to me, more like a cb. I think we could draft McClain and then trade Crowder during the draft. I really think we have a deal to trade down if a certain player somebody wants is there at 12. 5 more days and we will see! The trade for Marshall and the trade of Ginn makes the draft a winner.

IMO, Its not whether they like Thomas or not. I think they do. They brought him in 3 times. hello!

It comes down to depth at position and who they can get that would compare to him at better value vs. getting our NT or OLB.

Nobody Knows who we are picking cus they dont know. We are waiting for stuff to fall.

I like Thomas quite a bit but it would be more than a bit scary with Sean Smith and Earl Thomas in the same secondary, from a tackling standpoint. Thomas is a willing hitter but with that frame he's going to be a liability in certain situations. I could definitely see opponents game planning to take advantage of that duo's vulnerable tackling, particularly the divisional rivals.

That's the difference with Berry, who is the closest I've seen to Kenny Easley from a physical standpoint, a rangy guy who will also knock your head off. Berry would eliminate concerns that would be front and center with Thomas.

I like Thomas quite a bit but it would be more than a bit scary with Sean Smith and Earl Thomas in the same secondary, from a tackling standpoint. Thomas is a willing hitter but with that frame he's going to be a liability in certain situations. I could definitely see opponents game planning to take advantage of that duo's vulnerable tackling, particularly the divisional rivals.

That's the difference with Berry, who is the closest I've seen to Kenny Easley from a physical standpoint, a rangy guy who will also knock your head off. Berry would eliminate concerns that would be front and center with Thomas.

Earl Thomas is a little smallish for his position, but so was Zach Thomas. Tackling is less about size and much more about willingness, toughness and form. Thomas has those 3 attributes, the kid can tackle and hit. Very well rounded free safety.

Yeah, and Seattle even needs an FS with Deon Grant gone.

Come to think of it, they needed a FS while he was there, too.

The planets could align on this one. Beware the Ides of Advil, Mr. Berry.

Earl Thomas is a little smallish for his position, but so was Zach Thomas. Tackling is less about size and much more about willingness, toughness and form. Thomas has those 3 attributes, the kid can tackle and hit. Very well rounded free safety.
True.. I liked Zach and J.T. a lot, but our defense always seemed to wear down late in games and especially late in the season. Maybe size was a problem.

The only thing is he's frail and it looks like he will fall apart hitting NFL players. In the NFL he will look like gazoo from the Flintstones. Remember when we first saw Pat White in pre-season ? He looked like gazoo with that tiny body of his and big helmet.. well that's Earl Thomas.

Thomas looks tiny on the field at the college level, so just imagine for a moment how he will look at the NFL level. He will look like Pat White playing safety.

Eric Berry is not a lot bigger but he is so much more stout, and looks a lot bigger on the field (that's what really matters).. and it looks like he has the body to take it on a consistent basis. he has much better leg drive and lower body strength to lay people out and to hold his own. Like Polamalu with his lower body.

Earl Thomas doesn't have that. I am certain that the Dolphins met with Thomas 3 times to fake out other teams on who they really like. The Dolphins have been faking people out all off season with their moves. And last off season too.

I really liked Earl Thomas as one of our possible selections at 12 awhile ago. But after studying more and thinking about it further... I think I'll pass.

There are some good safeties we can get later on. Or just move up to #5 draft Berry and get it over with.

To me the problem with Earl is getting an OLB. Parcells loves OLB and he would prefer an OLB over a FS. If we pick Thomas then who is left in the 3rd round that can make big plays as an OLB? Even if we somehow get a 2nd all the great OLB's are going to be gone in the 1st.
In Parcells thinking a Great OLB and a good FS are better then a great FS and a good OLB. This leads me to believe that we are going with an OLB in the first. We can get very good FS's in the second if we get the pick again or a good one in the third.

Bringing in Earl Thomas for 3 visits looks like a smokescreen to me. This regime just doesn't telegraph their moves like that.

Brandon Graham should be the pick.

I'm not sold on Thomas and I do not think he will be the selection, I think they are eyeing Major Wright(later pick) and also feel Clemmons has potential.

I look for a trade down and Ronnie Brown trade that will garner more picks for a later selection of another safety into the mix.

The only thing is he's frail and it looks like he will fall apart hitting NFL players. In the NFL he will look like gazoo from the Flintstones. Remember when we first saw Pat White in pre-season ? He looked like gazoo with that tiny body of his and big helmet.. well that's Earl Thomas.

Thomas looks tiny on the field at the college level, so just imagine for a moment how he will look at the NFL level. He will look like Pat White playing safety.

Eric Berry is not a lot bigger but he is so much more stout, and looks a lot bigger on the field (that's what really matters).. and it looks like he has the body to take it on a consistent basis. he has much better leg drive and lower body strength to lay people out and to hold his own. Like Polamalu with his lower body.

Earl Thomas doesn't have that. I am certain that the Dolphins met with Thomas 3 times to fake out other teams on who they really like. The Dolphins have been faking people out all off season with their moves. And last off season too.

I really liked Earl Thomas as one of our possible selections at 12 awhile ago. But after studying more and thinking about it further... I think I'll pass.

There are some good safeties we can get later on. Or just move up to #5 draft Berry and get it over with.

Many of you fail to realize that the top Free Safety's are all around 5'10/5'11 and 205. Ryan Clark, Ed Reed, Bob Sanders, Brandon Merriweather, Reggie Nelson and Oj Atogwe all weigh in around the same as Earl Thomas.

We're not drafting McClain, and Kindle shouldn't be drafted before the 2nd.

You know, I was looking at Frank Coyle's website and was reading on Mcclain. He says we are hot for him. This may have been written way before Dansby, but I got to thinking, why wouldnt we draft Mcclain if he is there at 12?

Coyle says he can play WOLB in 3-4 if needed and I certainly think that he has our size requirements and the smarts to pick up the system right away.

I would not write off this possibility. We cannot lose getting this guy and still get our OLB's later. There is that much depth but would also change our mid round scenery a little probably.

I'm not sold on Thomas and I do not think he will be the selection, I think they are eyeing Major Wright(later pick) and also feel Clemmons has potential.

I look for a trade down and Ronnie Brown trade that will garner more picks for a later selection of another safety into the mix.

I think we will wait to see who falls to us and who doesn't.

Here is what I think we have them ranked as far as the players most mentioned here:

1. Morgan - as much as people think he is not the best OLB in this group since he is a totally a DE in college, he has the athletic ability to do everthing they want. He is good vs. run and rushing passer and is built for the long term.

2. Earl Thomas - speed, instincts, versatility. The size thing is not that big a deal. Its whether you come up with balls and knock em down from out of the hands of Moss, Welker, Edwards, Lee, and whoever else provides a threat.

3. Williams- Whether anyone wants to believe it or not, he can do what we would want by taking on two blockers and stuffing middle in our 3-4. Too important a position in this D to just write off. Yes there is depth and then there is being able to do something from day one.

4. B. Graham- We all know what he brings and the reason in my mind he would be the pick is because he may be the only guy left at 12 or the only one left should we trade down.

Back
Top Bottom