Compare PFF to what you saw.... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Compare PFF to what you saw....

Of all the statistics platforms out there, PFF are the only guys in their niche which isnt really stats to begin with. The mainstream advanced statistics site out there is footballoutsiders, they have a full roster of proprietary statistics and very much analytics driven. The most reliable pure stats site is Pro Football Reference and they've started adding advanced stats to their options too... If you subscribe, you have the full flegde player, season, play, whateveryounameit,... Finder.Which is very usefull.

There's always this sort of pseudo war between analytics and tape guys, its been going on for a while... Well PFF is to scouts what sites like PFR, FO, NextGen stats and many more are to analytics. Its a scouting report scaled up by having a crowd of scouts working with the same grading platform. There is absolutely nothing factual about PFF, you just have to really understand the grading method, know exactly were are the flaws and what are the strenght of the system to really benefit from it.

Ah ok at least this is first hand knowledge. Did not know that.

Do they pay well? I always wondered for a position like an analyst for them.
Not much but this was over 5 years ago, considering their influx of investment I think it could be better..

It’s a lot of time on the analyst part required.. and there are serious deadlines

These are all valid points, but I think the problem is also on the fans side as well. PFF isn't saying their grades are the end all be all for every player, just an additional resource to gauge players with along with the eye test fans do each week.

I find it more relevant for other teams than my own, because I can sort of peruse their grades if I want to, see "That guy is grading well or poorly this year" and then put additional resources into my own evaluation of a player and the situation to confirm or deny those grades.

I'll defend PFF a little. Their player rankings are in the ball park. That is, they don't rate Bobby McCain as top 5. Generally close to other raters. And they allow subscribers to rate a player on, say, the last 5 games. That’s it. Can't defend them beyond that

The problem with grading systems is they have inherent biases . They have never validated it , there really arnt many that are comprehensive so it’s pretty much this sounds good. Alright, let’s put it in.

Like how do you grade that check down call from tua with the quick slant? That was important but it would only give him 0.5 points. There are no “context” points . That play effectively sealed the deal for us . He read the defense, knew what he is good at and what Parker is good at . Put the ball right on the money with no hesitation and sealed the game .

I don’t get how X allowed 2 receptions for 11 yards and had a lower rating than Mccourty who allowed 3 for 33. I mean I really don’t see how 2 for 11 does not warrant a really good grade. He shut his man down.
McCourty had a really nice PBU that looked like a sure catch. Had to play into it.

Back
Top Bottom