Comparing David Boston to other WR's | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Comparing David Boston to other WR's

Breed

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The point of this post isn’t so much about comparing the Dolphins WR’s vs. the Patriots WR’s;, but comparing Boston’s numbers to other WR’s showing that when he is on the field he is better than just a decent receiver.

David Boston
70 games (61 games started), 311 receptions, 4,619 receiving yards and 25 TD’s over 6 NFL seasons (he didn’t even play last season so those stats are accumulated over 5 NFL seasons)

Chris Chambers
61 games (52 games started),233 receptions, 3,478 receiving yards and 28 TD’s over 4 NFL seasons

Marty Booker
84 games (71 games started), 365 receptions, 4,322 receiving yards and 24 TD’s over 6 NFL seasons)

Deion Branch
37 games (26 games started), 135 receptions, 1,746 receiving yards and 9 TD’s over 3 NFL seasons.

David Givens
40 games (17 games started), 99 receptions, 1,476 receiving yards and 10 TD’s over 3 NFL seasons

David Terrell
53 games (29 games started), 128 receptions, 1,602 receiving yards and 9 TD’s in 4 NFL seasons

Many people point out Boston’s season in SD and say “see……..he’s not all that goodâ€Â. Boston had 880 yards receiving in 14 games that year, that averages out to 1,006 yards (1,005.7 to be exact) over a full 16 game season.. That’s an average of 63 yards receiving per game, that’s Boston’s worst average of yards per game since his rookie season in 1999 where Boston played all 16 games but only started 8. Boston averaged only 30 yards receiving per game his rookie season.

To get an idea of how good Boston has been when he’s on the field I’m going to compare his yards receiving per game to players like Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Torry Holt, Marvin Harrison and Eric Moulds………I will then add in Deion Branch, David Givens, David Terrell, Az Hakim (who many posters thought would be a better signing than David Boston despite being more expensive), Chris Chambers and Marty Booker.

Torry Holt-84.96 receiving yards per game. This projects to 1,359.33 receiving yards over a 16 game season.

Randy Moss-83.87 receiving yards per game. This projects to 1,341.94 receiving yards over a 16 game season.

Marvin Harrison-80.47 receiving yards per game. This projects to 1,287.48 receiving yards over a 16 game season.

Terrell Owens-72.39 receiving yards per game. This projects to 1,158.16 receiving yards over a 16 game season.

David Boston-65.99 receiving yards per game. This projects to 1,055.77 receiving yards over a 16 game season. Keep in mind that Boston started only half his games his rookie season (where he played in all 16) and had 473 yards receiving. This is worth noting because the 473 yards that he had in 1999 is really out of the norm as compared to the of his career. These are 16 games really drive down his rypc……it may not seem like much but that is 16 out of the possible 70 games he’s played over his career. Take away Boston’s rookie season and he averaged 76.78 receiving yards per game…….that’s not to say he’s better than Terrell Owens but he’s in the same class when he’s on the field.

Eric Moulds-59.57 receiving yards per game. This projects to 953.09 receiving yards over a 16 game season. He’s really a better receiver than this…….Moulds started only 14 games his first 2 seasons out of the 32 games he played in. Moulds had a combined 573 receiving yards his first 2 seasons. Take away his first 2 seasons and he averaged 72.03 receiving yards per game.

Chris Chambers-56.10 receiving yards per game. This projects to 897.55 receiving yards over a 16 game season.

Marty Booker-51.45 receiving yards per game. This projects to 823.24 receiving yards over a 16 game season.

Deion Branch-47.19 receiving yards per game. This projects to 755.03 receiving yards over a 16 game season.. As with David Givens I think Branch could be an 800-1,000 yard receiver.

Az Hakim-38.64 receiving yards per game. This projects to 618.26 receiving yards over a 16 game season.

David Givens-36.9 receiving yards per game. This projects to 590.4 receiving yards over a 16 game season. He’s still only 24 so he’s young. I’d expect his numbers to go up. With the way New England spreads the ball I’m not sure he’ll be a 1,100 yard receiver but he could be an 800-1,000yard receiver.

David Terrell-30.23 receiving yards per game. This projects to 483.62 receiving yards per game.

Funny how Deion Branch is a great receiver (according to some New England fans) while missing 11 games over the past 3 seasons but Boston is “no good†when he’s (Boston) missed 24 games over the past 6 seasons and has had much more production.

Good post. Way to present the facts. The only difference is that Branch has been doing it up now, and it's been a couple years since Boston has done anything. Nevertheless just thinkin about having Boston and Booker split out with Chambers in the slot should be really scary for a lot of teams.

I take issue with the Chambers and Booker comparisons. Give them a QB as talented as Plummer and we can talk. The only WR with a QB situation like theirs was Terrell. You can compare Terrell to Booker and see that wasn't the only factor for him, though.

No one doubts his God given talent. It's his character and his ability to stay healthy.

Justasportsfan said:
No one doubts his God given talent. It's his character and his ability to stay healthy.

Helllllllllllllllllo........ McGaheee..........

Sheesh. Hypocrite.

Justasportsfan said:

I'm not expecting him to play a full 16 games season.....because that probably wouldn't be realistic. Even if Boston only gets 770 recieving yards over about 12 games that would still be a big lift over what we've had the past several years.

terrell davis is great when hes on the field, lets pick him up... oh know who else, lets get back yatil green, give him another shot... or jamal anderson, hes gotten a lot of yards before...

point is, yes if he can stay on the field everyone knows he can be good... but thats like saying if feeley throws no interceptions he'll be a good QB... its pretty obvious but unlikely to happen...

i hope he goes nuts here and has a great career, but stop getting your hopes up that hes gonna turn our entire team around, just like people did last year...

Jimmy James said:
I take issue with the Chambers and Booker comparisons. Give them a QB as talented as Plummer and we can talk. The only WR with a QB situation like theirs was Terrell. You can compare Terrell to Booker and see that wasn't the only factor for him, though.
Plummer and talented? Youre definitely mistaken. Maybe in comparison to the qb's we have but surely talented is not the right word for Jake the Fake. :lol:

Justasportsfan said:
Willis has had 1 injury. Boston has had several. DUH!!!

How many years has Willis been in the league? I like Willis as much as anyone but he hasn't had the opportunities to get injured that Boston has because he hasn't played as many years. Boston didn't miss 1 game his first 3 seasons.......

arsenal said:
terrell davis is great when hes on the field, lets pick him up... oh know who else, lets get back yatil green, give him another shot... or jamal anderson, hes gotten a lot of yards before...

point is, yes if he can stay on the field everyone knows he can be good... but thats like saying if feeley throws no interceptions he'll be a good QB... its pretty obvious but unlikely to happen...

i hope he goes nuts here and has a great career, but stop getting your hopes up that hes gonna turn our entire team around, just like people did last year...
Except that comparing Rb's and wr's is comparing apples and oranges. RB's take far more punishment so injuries are more common. Also its so hard to find reliable wrs who have Dbo's kind of gifts. If he wasnt such a dimwit hed be an all pro. The reward aspect of having Dbo on the team far outweighs the negatives. If saban can be the coach to get through to the guy then we wont have to worry about wr for a while with CC, Dbo and booker.

Boik14 said:
Except that comparing Rb's and wr's is comparing apples and oranges. RB's take far more punishment so injuries are more common. Also its so hard to find reliable wrs who have Dbo's kind of gifts. If he wasnt such a dimwit hed be an all pro. The reward aspect of having Dbo on the team far outweighs the negatives. If saban can be the coach to get through to the guy then we wont have to worry about wr for a while with CC, Dbo and booker.

but the point is a player who has an injury history usually doesn't all of a sudden become a healthy starter for the rest of his career no problem...

all im saying is you guys are hyping him up too much and getting your hopes up for an unreliable injury plagued WR who had a breakout season 5 years ago...

yes its a low risk pick so im not mad at it, but im not planning on him coming in and saving our offense like half of you people think he will...

arsenal said:
but the point is a player who has an injury history usually doesn't all of a sudden become a healthy starter for the rest of his career no problem...

all im saying is you guys are hyping him up too much and getting your hopes up for an unreliable injury plagued WR who had a breakout season 5 years ago...

yes its a low risk pick so im not mad at it, but im not planning on him coming in and saving our offense like half of you people think he will...
I dont think he will save our offense; I think we need viable option at qb. But its 1 less excuse our qbs will have if they dont pan out and its 1 more talented player on the roster with low risk.

If, and I know its a big if, he can stay healthy and contribute the guy has the upside to be an elite wr. Thats not getting hopes up, thats factual. hes shown what he can do when hes been healthy and plays hard. That proof came in the form of 1500+ yards. Thats all the proof i need. Saban needs to do whatever he can to get through to him.

Back
Top Bottom