Comparing Players from 2004 and 2005 Drafts | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Comparing Players from 2004 and 2005 Drafts

rafael said:
Manning's rating may be inflated b/c of his name. His stats certainly aren't as good as Smith and Rogers. There were questions about Manning being a student of the game (none exist about Rogers and Smith). Manning isn't as accurate and doesn't read defenses as well. On the other hand, Manning has more prototypical size, a stronger arm than Smith and played against better comp. than Smith.

I think that people are having a hard time placing Rodgers and Smith becuase of the limited short-term successes of other highly touted QB's that have come out in recent years (Carr, Harrington, Palmer, Manning, Rivers, etc). On the one hand, Rodgers and Smith have the same skills and measurables as the other afroementioned QB's and probably derserve to be high round picks. On the other, the recent Round One QB's still have a lot to prove before we can say that their teams were "justified" for spending a high pick on them.

Accordingly, TSN probably ranks them high because of the former point, while many posters on this board find the rankings insccurate because of the latter point.

Surferosa said:
I think that people are having a hard time placing Rodgers and Smith becuase of the limited short-term successes of other highly touted QB's that have come out in recent years (Carr, Harrington, Palmer, Manning, Rivers, etc). On the one hand, Rodgers and Smith have the same skills and measurables as the other afroementioned QB's and probably derserve to be high round picks. On the other, the recent Round One QB's still have a lot to prove before we can say that their teams were "justified" for spending a high pick on them.

Accordingly, TSN probably ranks them high because of the former point, while many posters on this board find the rankings insccurate because of the latter point.

That makes sense except that Smith has had two good years. I think Rogers has as well (I can't recall his stats for the previous year). So IMO it's not that they didn't have success, but rather that they didn't receive a great deal of publicity.

depends who you talk to, scouts inc said...

One rumor that is picking up speed has the 49ers dealing this pick in exchange for Chargers QB Philip Rivers. It might not come to fruition, but it certainly makes sense for both sides. The Chargers would then have three first-round picks and their starting quarterback of the future in Drew Brees. The 49ers, on the other hand, would get a better quarterback prospect than they could find in this draft, as Rivers grades out considerably higher than Rodgers and Alex Smith (Utah).

so who knows, and who cares anymore really.. its an arguement that would never end...

Tatum bell wi the lowest rating on that list will out rush everyone on there. Why I hate paying big money to RB's. Get a great line and plugg in some over looked kid from the 3rd round on and youve got yourself a Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Rueben Droughns, and when they get ****y and want money cause they put up huge numbers get a great corner or DE or lineback from a team dumb enough to do it(see Washington last year). RB are only as good as the oline they run behind with very few exceptions, Barry Sanders, Jim Brown and Walter Payton or a select few that could run behind any line no metter how bad. The only reason Emmitt Smith is the NFL's all time leading rusher are because of a couple guys named Larry Allen and Nate Newton. Hence ill take one of the later round guys and build a grewat line and make them look like priest holmes or the Denver version of Clinton Portis.

NorFlaFin said:
8.8 Eli Manning, Mississippi
8.8 Aaron Rodgers, Cal
8.6 Alex Smith, Utah

This rating system has Aaron Rodgers and Eli Manning equal?:roflmao:

exactly, almost enough to scare you off of Rodgers isn't it. Boy, you gotta figure SD knows what they are doing. Course it's to early to completely write Eli off, he didn't have much of an o-line to work with...:cooldude:

I always thought if Eli's last name were Thompson Smith Jones anything but Manning that he would be a 2nd-4th round choice. Didn't produce anywhere near to the level Phillip or Ben did in college.

FinaticPatch said:
I always thought if Eli's last name were Thompson Smith Jones anything but Manning that he would be a 2nd-4th round choice. Didn't produce anywhere near to the level Phillip or Ben did in college.

not true... hes got a sick arm and throws one of the best deep balls ive seen and this was just this ****ty *** rookie year im going off... his deep balls are incredible... in some time he'll be dope...

arsenal said:
not true... hes got a sick arm and throws one of the best deep balls ive seen and this was just this ****ty *** rookie year im going off... his deep balls are incredible... in some time he'll be dope...

Until that happens I reserve judgement. Even in Peyton's first year he showed flashes. Eli has shown me nothing.

Does anyone remember what dropped Ben down originally? I remember it was Ben and Eli neck and neck for the longest time then all of a sudden Rivers made a rediculous move up draft boards. Or was it simply the fact Rivers blew up the board?

No team needed a QB till the Steelers had to pick. Marty loved Rivers hence him going first.

manning will look really good next year with plaxico as his huge deep threat. Now the question is will brown or benson be one of those backs that succeed in spite of their O-lines? ie. sanders, and the man u left off the list LT

Surferosa said:
Below is a post from another Football board. It ranks the top rated prosepcts from the 2004 and 2005 drafts according to The Sporting News's Annual Draft Guide. Its an excellent source of discussion when comparing players from this years and last yearss draft:

I've got both the 2004 and 2005 draft guides here, and here is how the top-10 at each position both years stacks up. 2005 rooks in bold:

QB
Overall grade 2004 B
Overall grade 2005 C

8.9 Ben Roethlisberger, Miami OH
8.8 Eli Manning, Mississippi
8.8 Aaron Rodgers, Cal
8.6 Alex Smith, Utah
8.4 Philip Rivers, NC St
8.0 J.P. Losman, Tulane
7.9 Charlie Frye, Akron
7.8 Andrew Walter, Arizona St
7.4 Jason Campbell, Auburn
6.8 Dan Orlovsky, Connecticut
6.8 Matt Schaub, Virginia
6.7 Derek Anderson, Oregon St
6.4 Kyle Orton, Purdue
6.1 John Navarre, Michigan
5.9 David Greene, Georgia
5.7 Josh Harris, Bowling Green
5.4 Walter Washington, Temple
5.2 Cody Pickett, Washington
4.9 Matt Mauck, LSU
4.6 Ryan Dinwiddie, Boise St

RB
Overall grade 2004 B
Overall grade 2005 A-

8.8 Cedric Benson, Texas
8.7 Ronnie Brown, Auburn
8.6 Carnell Williams, Auburn
8.5 Steven Jackson, Oregon St
8.3 Kevin Jones, Virginia Tech
8.1 Ciatrick Fason, Florida
8.0 Chris Perry, Michigan
7.9 Verand Morency, Oklahoma St
7.7 Maurice Clarett, Ohio St (2004 ranking)
7.6 Greg Jones, Florida St
7.1 Eric Shelton, Louisville
7.0 T.A. McClendon, NC St
6.9 Cedric Cobbs, Arkansas
6.9 Julius Jones, Notre Dame
6.6 Walter Reyes, Syracuse
6.5 Anthony Davis, Wisconsin
6.4 Quincy Wilson, W Virginia (says 3.4, but I'm assuming that's a typo)
6.2 Marion Barber, Minnesota
6.1 Michael Turner, N Illinois
5.9 Tatum Bell, Oklahoma St

WR
Overall grade 2004 A
Overall grade 2005 B+

8.9 Mike Williams, USC (2004 rating)
8.9 Larry Fitzgerald, Pittsburgh
8.7 Braylon Edwards, Michigan
8.7 Roy Williams, Texas
8.6 Mike Williams, USC (2005 rating)
8.5 Troy Williamson, S Carolina
8.4 Reggie Williams, Washington
8.4 Michael Clayton, LSU
8.2 Mark Clayton, Oklahoma
8.1 Lee Evans, Wisconsin
7.9 Chris Henry, W Virginia
7.9 Michael Jenkins, Ohio St
7.6 Devery Henderson, LSU
7.5 Roddy White, UAB
7.4 Fred Gibson, Georgia
7.2 Bernard Berrien, Fresno St
7.2 Craphonso Thorpe, Florida St.
7.1 Terrence Murphy, Texas A&M
7.0 Reggie Brown, Georgia

TE
Overall grade 2004 C+
Overall grade 2005 C

8.7 Kellen Winslow, Miami
8.5 Heath Miler, Virginia
8.3 Ben Troupe, Florida
7.8 Ben Watson, Georgia
7.6 Alex Smith, Stanford
6.6 Ben Utecht, Minnesota
6.5 Kevin Everett, Miami
6.2 Garrett Cross, Cal
6.1 Jason Peters, Arkansas
5.9 Joel Dreessen, Colorado St
5.7 Steve Fleming, Arizona
5.7 Ben Hartsock, Ohio St
5.5 Chris Cooley, Utah St
5.4 Adam Bergen, Lehigh
5.2 Ronnie Ghent, Louisville
5.1 David Kashetta, Boston College
4.8 Alex Holmes, USC
4.8 Sean Ryan, Boston College
4.4 Eric Knott, Michigan St
4.4 Keith Willis, Virginia Tech

Here is what the numerical grades mean:
9.0 - 8.0 = Franchise player.
7.9 - 7.0 = Potential Pro Bowl player.
6.9 - 6.0 = Could start as a rookie.
5.9 - 5.0 = Eventual starter.
4.9 - 4.0 = Quality backup.
3.9 - 3.0 = Chance to make roster.
2.9 - 2.0 = Not likely to make roster.
1.9 - 1.0 = Free agent possibility.

Two quick comments from me:

- The second tier QB's in this years drft are much better then the second tier QB's from 2004. Also, Smith and Rodgers are not ranked much lower than last years top 2 QB's - Manning and Roethlisberger.

- This years RB class is clearly better from top to bottom. It is both top heavy and filled with excellent depth.

I think whether we go QB/RB or RB/QB, we are bound to make out ok due to the excellent depth this year at those two positions.

i made one on the whole offensvie side like 3 weeks ago

i agree with everything except WR. though some of the later RBs are a bit skewed. 20/20 i guess.

Back
Top Bottom