Concerns about Drafting OL in first | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Concerns about Drafting OL in first

I agree with you my fellow Cane brother but you're preaching to a wall. I've tried to state a case as to why we shouldn't be forced into taking a OL with the first pick if it means passing up a much better player at another position but too many of these guys are blinded by fear. They think we HAVE to take OL with the 1st pick because our right side is weak. But your wasting your time trying to explain it. Too many Chicken Littles on this board. There are however a few of us who agree with you. I wasn't going to be a part of the other thread because it just seemed like a couple of guys patting themselves on the back and I wasn't going to waste my energy arguing with people who have already made up their mind. They have their opinions and I respect that...even if I disagree.

If Andrews isn't there I'd take Vilma or Dockett or Starks or even Evans or Woods before Carey or Smiley. So shoot me...

Whatever happens though...we're all Fin Fans. And we'll still be behind them. Even if we disagree with the pick.

We don't just need someone to start, we have the bodies, we need someone to be a force their first year and not get injured. I like the idea of adding Solomon Page to the mix. He could be the guy we need to get this OL moving this year. If we're drafting for the future in our OL sure go ahead, but don't expect Andrews, Smiley, Grove, etc... to make a big impact on our OL that's all I'm saying. P.S. The reason why I asked the fans how they thought they did was because number of starts doesn't tell you how well each of the linemen faired their first year. Just means they were in there, doesn't mean they were good while they were in there.

I agree to a point.Is it reaching if we do not have a second rd pick and can not trade down? Say noone wants to trade up and give us an extra pick would you still take the best o-lineman on the board at 20? I would say you would have too. I just hope it does not come to that.Dolfanreal69

See that's where we disagree, I would not like that to happen and it's a very likely possibility that we can't trade down (everyone this year wants to trade down) and taking a linemen at 20 that's not 20 material is IMO a waste. Choosing value at our other need positions would be a good idea, e.g. DT, LB, S, QB. It may not be our biggest need, but why get someone who is not worth that pick?

Originally posted by caneproud117
When you say "majority" of their games what exactly is a majority of their games?

In this case, anything over 10 starts, and most of those are actually 14 starts and over.

"In this case, anything over 10 starts, and most of those are actually 14 starts and over." - relive1972

See post about starts not amounting to much, but quality of starts that matters.

I firmly believe in taking a guy that is worth the 20 pick at pick 20. Now, you may say what then do we do with our OLine this year? We sign Page up, and let the best men win the job on the right side (which we have guys that play both RT and RG). If we don't draft an OL at 20 we will draft one in the third just for sheer chance of finding someone to compete with the guys we already have on our roster. Further increasing the chance of "the best man" winning the job.

Most draft reviews have Smiley as one that can start his first year, as will as Andrews, Gallery, and possibly Carey. Grove is nearly as good a talent as these mentioned but the center position takes a little longer to learn and he is not expected to start...Smiley is moving up the charts fast right now.

IMO, and based on the reviews and the games I've seen played, I would take Smiley at #20...It may be a little reach but he'll be gone by #24 or 25 if we don't take him....I actually have Smiley rated above Andrews and Carey because there are fewer questions with Smiley (attitude, weight, etc).

I think, in our predicament, the FO and DW doesn't have the time to give an OL a year or two to develop. Whomever we draft will start. That is why we picked up all these other OL that have starting experience (McI, James, St. Clair). Any tackle we draft will take some time to adjust as well (the exception may be Gallery, but he'll be long gone for us). Just look at what happened with Smith...He was fine in the begining of the season, then became inconsistent, was poor in a couple of games, particularly against better LDEs.

Without actually being there, I think RS/DW have the idea that St. Clair will start at RT until McI is healthy. McI is a quality tackle. St. Clair will then assume the role of backup all along the line, as needed. Or if St. Clair is performing ok and there is question about that, he stays at RT this year and McI assumes the backup role...could work out better to McI with more time to allow his ankle to heal. The rookie we draft (Andrews, Carey, Smiley, whoever) will be the RG. Either way, assuming that St. Clair can hold down the RT spot...the OL should be better than what we have had.

I'd like to post a poll as to how many people think that if we were to draft an OL in the first round: A. 1 in 4 chance he hits it big his first year. B. 1 in 3 chance he hits it big his first year. C. 1 in 2 chance he hits it big his first year. D. I expect him to come in and hit it big his first year. I think most people on this board expect that OL to be an impact player right off the bat.

The only one I'd take at 20 would be Andrews, Smiley is probably late 20 material, and unless we trade down (not likely) I wouldn't take him, Carey same thing. Remember one thing, value, value, value. Look for DT or LB to be addressed because they present value at pick 20 IMO. If Andrews is there sure take him, but work him into the line up.

Well, I was a little behind today, but I just read that we brought in UFA Solomon Page (OG/T) from San Diego to look at....If we sign him, we won't go OL in the 1st round..that would be a sure thing....Page was injured last year, but has started at both G and T positions. Now we probably go OL on Day 2 of draft (assuming we sign him)...

Originally posted by DOLFANMIKE
I think reaching at any position in RD 1 is a BIG mistake, regardless of the need. If Andrews is gone round 1 (As I expect him to be) there is nobody IMO that is worth the 20th pick overall on OL. We'd be better served trading back and picking up another pick if we are set to draft OL so that we get value on our picks.
I think most people on here are fine with us trading down and then taking an o-lineman. Smith started last year as a rookie and didn't do that good. On the other hand Wade started as a rookie at RT and had a fine season but he never played that good after that. I'm still worry about Andrews weight problems and his back injury too but of course the talent is there. We 'll see what Rick's thinking. One thing's for sure, if he's there and we don't take him we'll never hear the end of it on this board.

Ozzy rules!!

True we wouldn't hear the end of it, but I'd be laughing at everyone who thought they knew what Rick was thinking. All I ever hear is "mark my words, we will draft OL in first." How funny would that be if Rick doesn't give a crap what we think? :)

I'm not going to rub it in their faces or anything, but I would have a nice chuckle inside with that "I told you so" feeling.

Back
Top Bottom