Concerns About Gesicki, The Challenge Of Replacing Suh And Old Questions 'return' Read More Here: H | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Concerns About Gesicki, The Challenge Of Replacing Suh And Old Questions 'return' Read More Here: H

Those were different cases. We have nothing ahead of Gesicki plus he's a 2nd rounder. Hes gonna play alot

The scary pattern is that we have bad luck drafting 2nd round picks. Hopefully Gesicki works out for us.

Wozz, that's what I was thinking. The kid is brand new, wet behind the ears in one of his first practices as an NFL player. If he was lost at times that would seem perfectly natural. Oh, and they didn't even have pads on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gisecki is not as "Pro ready" as Minkah Fitzpatrick but then again who is? We really scored with that kid. But, Gisecki played in tons of huge games against the best college players in the Country so I feel sure he'll be up to speed when it counts.

Maybe that's why they don't invite the press that often. Stupid articles like this one.

Derby is not terrible and he has had a whole offseason to figure things out, he SHOULD be ahead of Gesicki right now, and likely to start the season ... I expect to see Derby and Gesicki on the field at times together... not Smythe right now. Both rookies will get it, it will just take some time ... I am NOT worried about TE now for quite a while ....

I'm not expecting Gesicki to be All-Pro. I'm not expecting ANY draft pick to be all Pro. That's just a statistical statement. Most high draft picks who start all their career are solid players. That's what I want from draft picks. Expecting Gesicki to have 80 receptions and 15 TDs (I made those numbers up) are in for disappointment. If he's good enough to be a weapon and draw mismatches, he'll help the O.
I'm NOT saying he, Fitz, or anyone WON'T be All-Pro or that I don't expect it, but I'm not going to be disappointed with a solid starter, PARTICULARLY in the first week on the field.

I guess because the narrative is he can block? Of course blocking tes are all the rage In The nfl.
he is a far more complete tight end and it's not just the blocking. He has great size and can get separation in the middle of the field with both his size and speed. He is also the better blocker and IMHO the more polished route runner as well. I've watched the guy for over 2 years, the only thing Mike has on him is the athletic ability. Goedert has the skill set to be a Travis Kelce in this league if he reaches his ceiling, Mike is more of a Jimmy Graham type.

It's just a matchup I will be paying attention too, that's all I meant by all of this.

jesus people, he's a rookie and it's not even training camp yet...I am sure the media blew this outta proportion as they dont have much else to write about...
give the kid a chance, I would start to worry if its week 6 and he hasn't really seen the field...the kid is a stud and at the very least can contribute early in the RZ and get more well rounded as the season goes on...not gonna happen overnight

he is a far more complete tight end and it's not just the blocking. He has great size and can get separation in the middle of the field with both his size and speed. He is also the better blocker and IMHO the more polished route runner as well. I've watched the guy for over 2 years, the only thing Mike has on him is the athletic ability. Goedert has the skill set to be a Travis Kelce in this league if he reaches his ceiling, Mike is more of a Jimmy Graham type.

It's just a matchup I will be paying attention too, that's all I meant by all of this.
I watched Gesicki at Penn State the past two years. I will admit I didn't see Goedert, so i won't compare; Gesicki, no doubt, was a beast. He caught everything that came his way, pressure passes, clutch passes, down the field, over the top of defenders. Barkley and the QB got so much pub, and Gesicki kind of went under the radar. But make no mistake, that kid balled out. After seeing him in college for 20+ games I am thrilled to have him and am not worried that he will not make plays for the Dolphins. I can't say when the light will come on, when he will become a viable blocker, but based on what I saw of him week in/week out in college we have got an absolute stud.

I'm not sure if he has but doesn't he have to sign his contract before full participation in practice is allowed.

Why do I get the impression they are setting us up for Gesicki being a bust this year?
It's the Dolphins way to consistently draft underachievers. I'd like to see Gray given a chance for a lot of playing time if not a chance to start. He has playmaking ability that we've all seen

There is little concern for whether this kid is going to contribute. He will play plenty this season. He is a weapon of significant proportion and they are not going to leave him on the bench.
Gase has made it clear that HIS offense is going to be run HIS way this year so it's going to take people a second to master it. It's well known that it is comprehensive and complicated. He'll be fine.

It's the Dolphins way to consistently draft underachievers. I'd like to see Gray given a chance for a lot of playing time if not a chance to start. He has playmaking ability that we've all seen
I’m less concerned about the drafting underachievers than signing free agent underachievers. If you toss out dj I think you’ll find guys we overdrafted, they performed, left the dolphins then didn’t do ****. That’s not underachieving on the team that’s overachieving

I do not know how true it is, but we did not see much Gesicki, because they were forcefeeding him trying to improve his blocking,

I heard they were working hard with him to at least get him to the point he is at least an acceptable/addiquite blocker.

Miami does not want a one dementional TE, especially in the RZ. If Gesicki can learn to hold his own blocking, Miami's RZ offense is going to be tough to keep out of the end zone with the RBs, WR they have...as well as TEs.

I don't know how anybody evaluates tight ends in OTAs.

They are, by design, players who make plays in the passing game by being PHYSICAL.

They're not a bunch of mice scurrying around the field in RVAs or 7-on-7's playing finesse football and catching lots of passes.

In OTAs you essentially take the entire concept of FINISHING off the table. And if you take that away from a tight end, what do you have left? Even the fastest among them are 4.5 guys running routes against defensive backs with 4.4 speed, or running through a brier patch of zone coverage where everything is dependent on the QB to get the ball into the spot or not.

If you want to see what a tight end has, even in the passing game, you've got to put on pads and dial up the speed and intensity to game levels.

Looking at the responses one would think they said he doesn't belong in the league. I'm not surprised that he or any rookie would look lost and I'm fine with it being reported. I want to know what's happening in practice since I can't attend, I'm not just looking to see who got praised on any given day.

We shall wait and see but I'm not getting my Hope's up that this guy will be our franchise TE based on the odds. Looking at draft history of TEs their have been plenty of TE busts, to think that wont happen to us the first time we use a high pick on a TE is crazy.......just keeping it real

And if he was playing well, it would be 'yeah, but it's in shorts and tshirts .' It's that time of year

Back
Top Bottom