Concerns about Larry Chester | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Concerns about Larry Chester

Capt. Dick

Deep Sea Wanderer
Reaction score
I don`t know much about Larry Chester, but from what I can gather, he`s got tremendous upper body strength and skinny legs. Could this be a sign of steroid abuse? One sign of steroid abuse is brittle bones and Chester is coming back from a broken leg. Tony Manderich comes to mind. Then again, maybe I`m full of it. Thoughts?

Chester doesn't look like the kind of guy that would be a steroid abuser.... Gardener on the other hand... I don't know.

Whats funny is I commented last year on another board how I was ABSOLUTELY SURE David Boston had been on the Roids the last offseason (I mean come on 40 pounds of muscle added in one offseason!!!) and someone stated he was the son of an official and a would not embarass him and the league that way... bet now that he was caught hyped up on coke that opinion has changed. The sad thing is he probably DID(or does) take steroids and his performance last year will only be looked at as incentive by other players in the league to abuse drugs also.

Boston has a strong body all over from what I heard, he does not take steroids. I was really surprised when I heard that he had cocaine in his system because he didn't seem like the kind of player who would take drugs. A lot of people get caught for excesive speeding, I don't think that is much of a problem.

What does having a strong body all over have anything to do with whether someone takes steroids or not?!?! Steroids is not a local shot that increases strength to one area. It gives your body more testoserone and the ability to add muscle quicker and beyond a human's natural ability... BUT you still have to work out to do it. The only reason I can think any of you MIGHT have heard that theory is because the gym-rats that take steroids are usually guys trying to take a short-cut... and they are the same guys who are looking to have "big-guns" to impress the ladies. So a lot of them take another shortcut and focus most of their efforts on upper body, which is why they would have weak legs. But if you are on the "juice" and work out hard for full-body strength... you will gain full body strength.

I don't know... I'm not convinced Boston isn't a steroid abuser. (perhaps Andro... but still!) People just do not put on THAT kind of muscle THAT quickly... naturally! ESPECIALLY an Athlete who is already at near-peak physical condition.

BTW How would you have ANY idea whether he was "the kind" of player to take steroids?? How many players do you haveg out with personally... do you watch them workout and eat... take supplements?? Not trying to put you down... I just always hear comments from fans that make it seem like they have some kind of an idea what a player is like... even though they only know them from watching them on Sundays...

This is David Boston's profile from Sportsline in 1999:
2. David Boston
6'2" - 215 - Ohio State - 4.45 - Rating: 91

This is his current profile on NFL.com, 2002:
6'2 222

People, he has put on 7 pounds since his Ohio State days. Where are all of you getting this 20 pounds of weight stuff? He was ALWAYS a very big WR, and a very fast one at that. That is why he was drafted so high on top of his preceived attitude/arrogance problem in school.

I don't know where you guys get your info.....

Wasn`t Manderich a steroid freak, who had a big upper body and thin legs? If I recall, he was always injuring his legs one way or another. Like I said, I could be mistaken.

Originally posted by Capt. Dick
I don`t know much about Larry Chester, but from what I can gather, he`s got tremendous upper body strength and skinny legs. Could this be a sign of steroid abuse? One sign of steroid abuse is brittle bones and Chester is coming back from a broken leg. Tony Manderich comes to mind. Then again, maybe I`m full of it. Thoughts?

I mentioned this in my last report, and took a good look at Chester yesterday. He is just so massive in his upper body that it almost makes hies legs look small, but after a closer look I think I was wrong! He does have kind of small Ankles (not too small though), and definetly has small ankles, whixh is common in some African Americans.......

Oz, is he working with the regulars this mini camp? I thought he was still rehabbing his leg.

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
This is David Boston's profile from Sportsline in 1999:
2. David Boston
6'2" - 215 - Ohio State - 4.45 - Rating: 91

This is his current profile on NFL.com, 2002:
6'2 222

People, he has put on 7 pounds since his Ohio State days. Where are all of you getting this 20 pounds of weight stuff? He was ALWAYS a very big WR, and a very fast one at that. That is why he was drafted so high on top of his preceived attitude/arrogance problem in school.

I don't know where you guys get your info.....

That is not accurate. Last season, Boston weighed 240lbs. He even said so on ESPN (or maybe Fox) during a story about him. He's widely reported at over 225lbs.

Personally, I don't put a lot of stock in the measurements listed. The fact is that they really aren't that accurate. How many people actually believe that Gilbert Brown really weighed 330lbs all those years in GB?? Hell, Daryl Gardener was listed at 315lbs in July of 2000. But my friend who ran the Phins training camp said he really weighed 360.....with 6% body fat. Willie Jones (one of the final players cut in 2000) was listed at 360 when he was actually 410.

Most of the players' listed weights were not their actual weights, he told me. Some guys are smaller, some are bigger. Jason Taylor has never been 260. Zach rarely reaches 235...or 5'11" (more like 5'9", 225). And Tim Bowens is every bit of that svelt 320lbs he's listed at. :p

Anyway, David Boston weighed 240lbs last year.

Originally posted by dolfan87
Oz, is he working with the regulars this mini camp? I thought he was still rehabbing his leg.

He works with the defensive Lineman when they are in their own group, and does nothing too strenuous at this time. He watches, stretches, and once in a while rides a bike when the team drills start.

Word is he might be ready to go when the Real Camp begins....

<i>People just do not put on THAT kind of muscle THAT quickly... naturally! </i>

If you don't think its possible to put on 30 lbs of muscle in an offseason when you already weigh 215 lbs, then you ought to talk to some body builders sometime. Heck, just ask Shannon Sharpe, who is a hobbyist body builder and moved from WR to TE because of his size. They take Andro and every other supplement on the market, they spend a month or two eating everything in sight and in the process gaining like 70 to 100 pounds, and then they "cut up" They stop eating so damned much, work out like mad horses, stay on the supplements, and watch as the fat melts away keeping the added beef. If he would have gained like 50 or 60 lbs of beef all the sudden I'd say yeah maybe he's on roids but 30 is nothing.

Originally posted by Muck

That is not accurate. Last season, Boston weighed 240lbs. He even said so on ESPN (or maybe Fox) during a story about him. He's widely reported at over 225lbs.

Personally, I don't put a lot of stock in the measurements listed. The fact is that they really aren't that accurate. How many people actually believe that Gilbert Brown really weighed 330lbs all those years in GB?? Hell, Daryl Gardener was listed at 315lbs in July of 2000. But my friend who ran the Phins training camp said he really weighed 360.....with 6% body fat. Willie Jones (one of the final players cut in 2000) was listed at 360 when he was actually 410.

Most of the players' listed weights were not their actual weights, he told me. Some guys are smaller, some are bigger. Jason Taylor has never been 260. Zach rarely reaches 235...or 5'11" (more like 5'9", 225). And Tim Bowens is every bit of that svelt 320lbs he's listed at. :p

Anyway, David Boston weighed 240lbs last year.

Why would any body lie about their size on the pro level?

Back
Top Bottom