Confession Time | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Confession Time

Jason Taylor was one I got right. Back then there wasn't any internet, all there was, were College and Pro Football Publications that ran weekly draft prospect reviews and College games on TV to watch a certain player, I'd read about. And the College All Star games. When Jimmy Johnson drafted Taylor, I went absolutely bonkers.

Others I got right were Tim Bowens, Tim Ruddy, Troy Vincent and Mike Pouncey. All had varying degrees of success playing for Miami.

The one I got wrong was Sammie Smith. He never looked liked the player he was at Florida State while, in the pros.

Picks I absolutely hated, Marcus Vick, Chad Henne, Jackie Shipp and Charles Harris. Although I somehow foolishly, made myself believe Harris would turn into something special. I guess I drank too much cool aid, after the Harris pick.

Me too.

But to their credit, and to be more precise.

They DID turn the Dolphins around from the previous seasons,

they just didn't do well enough to proceed in the playoffs consistently.

I actually became a die hard Dolphins fan in large part because of JJ.

I liked UM and I wasn't really a big fan of Marino or Shula at that time.

I liked Joe Montana and the Raiders when I was a kid.

You know, teams that ran the ball and played great defense.

Where it was more of a team effort and not so much a superstar QB being so much of the focus.
I would have taken actual wins from JJ over your fandom lol

I was right about Brees (wanted him bad in the 2nd), and amazingly (Must have been a 6th sense...Just had a feeling), I was extremely excited we got Zach Thomas.

I was then wrong on Culpepper over Brees (should have stuck to my guns with Brees) , and was very wrong when I thought Jason Taylor would be too small for the D-line, and too gangly to survive at LB.

Oh, and Dion Jordan...boy was I wrong about him, then again, seems I couid be very right about Parker and Gesicki.

Last edited:
Love the idea of thread, shout out to IrKEVerent. Let's just go with where I had some lapses in judgement.

John Beck- The book of John had me believing in the kid from BYU. Wonderful anticipation skills and great short and intermediate route accuracy. Hit alot of the Bill Parcells keys to finding a QB.

Daniel Thomas- Thought there was a lot to like about him. Big kid, willing blocker, was involved and asked to do alot at KSU as a receiver. Thought as a compliment back he could accel into a 3 down back after a couple years.

Cordrea Tankersley- This kid was a stand out press corner coming out of Clemson. Thought we got incredible value considering where we drafted him vs his initial draft projections.

Patrick Turner- Big bodied Wr out of USC, absolutely we reached big time but I had high hopes for this guy. Thought he would contribute immediately and had a killer beard to boot. What wasn't to like? Probably a lot as we saw how that went down.

Brandon Albert- When we signed Brandon I was convinced that OLine issue were soon to be in the rearview mirror. Several injuries later and a OLine that played maybe 3 to 4 games maximum with the actual starting lineup , Brandon was ultimately underwhelming as a Dolphin.

These just a few of the misfires. There are several more not listed. But Im on daddy daycare for the foreseeable future.

I was wrong thinking the makeup of the front office was OK with Tannenbaum in charge.
Grier has just shown the NFL world what a good GM can do in terms of establishing cap space and setting up for a draft, so he clearly was not the problem. Watching what he does with the draft will be entertaining.
I was right about Gase being a good coach and I was sorry when he left.
I was right about Tannehill being a good QB; I just didn't anticipate he would be off the field for 2 1/2 years with injuries.
I was wrong thinking most of the posters knew what they were talking about when they discussed problems with the team.
The good news is there are some really knowledgeable posters here and other posters with excellent analytical capabilities and statistical know how as opposed to a few overly verbose posters providing a steady stream of "no how".
I was right thinking there was going to be light at the end of the tunnel.
I was wrong thinking I would see that light during the previous three years.

I am looking forward to this year and seeing better performance and sustained improvement, not to mention all the fun I will have watching us use a tremendous number of draft picks to help us build a solid core of players for this team. There is the side benefit of watching the "my guy or the pick stinks" crowd loosing their collective minds.

Where I was right: JJ, Saban and Parcells all being bad hires and setting the franchise back with each one. Players - Ginn overrated and Taylor underrated

Where I was wrong: Chad Henne and Raekwon McMillan.

I like to judge a player on First two yr. It will tell u lot about player..

Kind of confused at the number of people saying that Saban was a bad hire.

I didn't like the Sean Smith pick, predicted he would bust when we drafted him.
I wanted Earl Thomas, instead they traded out of the pick.
I wanted Tremayne Edwards when we drafted Minka (but I was ok with Minka too)
I wanted Patrick Willis REALLY BAD, but we drafted Ted Ginn, Jr. instread.
I was right about Ryan Tannehill needing a new scenery to thrive.

I thought Dion Jordan would be a stud
I thought Jamar Fletcher would be a Pro Bowler

MY BIGGEST {WORSE} CONFESSION....
I thought Ryan Leaf would be an All Pro QB :oops::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I need a mental break from the virus I work in a homeless shelter and these people are vulnerable I worry sick for them and secondly I need a break from the NFL draft

I am interested in your dirty confessions - the players you got right and the players you got wrong begin with the Dolphins

I promise to give you a thumbs up for you dopamine starved posters out there

I will select my Dolphins first

I was right about Cam Wake coming from CFL BC Lions - I took a lot of ribbing from you turds lol

I was dead wrong about Chad Henne I thought we had something when he diced up the Jets on a late night game throwing over the top to Ginn - I thought we had found something

Honourable mention I was wrong bout wanting Ronnie Brown over Jake

2nd honourable mention I was wrong wanting Culpepper (size) over Brees (size and injury history)

I will also add my overall NFL right and wrongs

I was right about advocating drafting MLBs Luke Keuchly and Pat Willis although they cut their careers short

Wrong about Cam Newton - I thought he would be less about himself and more about winning - with his rare combo he should have won more but again I got enamoured by the one read QB who can his way out of trouble

Honourable mention I wrote on another post today I was did tomato garlic against Russell Wilson’s size coming out of Wisconsin
Confession is good for the soul bad for the reputation
It looks like you’re wrong a majority of the time.

Kind of confused at the number of people saying that Saban was a bad hire.
After seeing him lie about his interest in LSU when he left Michigan State (and I am a Michigan fan), I never trusted another word that came out of his mouth and knew he wouldn't last long in Miami. The man can't tell the truth and doesn't understand why people think he is snake.

Back
Top Bottom