confused about the rfa thing | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

confused about the rfa thing

Coach_Rob

Club Member
Reaction score
i was reading something saying that rfa's would be ufa's on june1st. is that true? and if so does that mean ronnie would be a ufa on june 1st. im confused as hell. bc i thought he had one more year if there wasnt a cba agreement. but then the phins place a 1st round tender on him. just confused

being a restricted free agent is based off of years of service....so from what I understand, even if you are a RFA, and are not tendered (meaning your previous team does not have the right to first refusal nor the right to any compensation) you are still technically a RFA.

At that point, the only difference between a non-tendered RFA and an Unrestricted FA, is that the final 8 teams aren't at all limited in signing RFA (even non-tendered ones)

As of June 1st, to retain the rights to a RFA, teams must tender them 110% of their prior years salary. This does not affect the Phins, since all of their RFA were already tendered at least that amount.

the players who it would affect are players like Rams safety O.Atogwe, who was tendered at the lowest possible level, which allowed the Rams only the right of first refusal (no draft pick compensation). This is the only tender level which does not require at least 110% of the prior years salary.

The Rams used this tender, but as of June 1st, if they wish to retain his rights as a RFA, they must up their tender to 110% of his '09 salaray (about 7 million), otherwise he is free to negotiate with any other team and the Rams have no right to first refusal or compensation. But I think he's still technically a RFA (important only in that the final 8 teams are free to sign him).

Back
Top Bottom