Congrads to coach Jimmy Johnson | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Congrads to coach Jimmy Johnson

Jimmy was handed a clean and solid program that Howard saved and built. Jimmy handed over a renegade program to Dennis Erickson.

The program Howard left behind was solid but they had a ton of luck in thier championship year including the win over the Cornhuskers. He left a solid foundation. Jimmy had a tough first season with the Maryland come back and the hail Flute BS
but then when on to dominate college football for years to come.
Johnson started with a shaky 8–5 record his first season, which included a game in which Johnson's Hurricanes blew a 31–0 halftime lead in a loss to Maryland with Frank Reich as its QB and also included a 47–45 loss toBoston College immortalized by Doug Flutie's "Hail Mary" touchdown pass on the game's final play. But Johnson developed the Hurricanes into a football program that came to be known as "The Decade of Dominance." In his five years at Miami, Johnson compiled a 52–9 record, appeared in five New Year's Day bowl games, winning one national championship (1987) and losing one to the Penn State Nittany Lions (1986).
Johnson created a free-wheeling atmosphere where he allowed, and at times encouraged, his players to showboat, trash-talk, and run up the score. The criticism they received from other teams caused the media to deem them the "Bad Boys of College Football," a moniker Johnson openly accepted.
Johnson's Hurricanes would post the school's first undefeated regular season in 1986, only to lose the National Championship Game that year to #2 Penn State. The loss, along with losses in Miami's prior two bowl games, began to raise questions about whether Johnson was capable of winning major games. In the ensuing 1987 season, however, the Hurricanes went undefeated in the regular season yet again, and won the school's second National Title by defeating Oklahoma for the third season in a row.

The program Howard left behind was solid but they had a ton of luck in thier championship year including the win over the Cornhuskers. He left a solid foundation. Jimmy had a tough first season with the Maryland come back and the hail Flute BS
but then when on to dominate college football for years to come.
Johnson started with a shaky 8–5 record his first season, which included a game in which Johnson's Hurricanes blew a 31–0 halftime lead in a loss to Maryland with Frank Reich as its QB and also included a 47–45 loss toBoston College immortalized by Doug Flutie's "Hail Mary" touchdown pass on the game's final play. But Johnson developed the Hurricanes into a football program that came to be known as "The Decade of Dominance." In his five years at Miami, Johnson compiled a 52–9 record, appeared in five New Year's Day bowl games, winning one national championship (1987) and losing one to the Penn State Nittany Lions (1986).
Johnson created a free-wheeling atmosphere where he allowed, and at times encouraged, his players to showboat, trash-talk, and run up the score. The criticism they received from other teams caused the media to deem them the "Bad Boys of College Football," a moniker Johnson openly accepted.
Johnson's Hurricanes would post the school's first undefeated regular season in 1986, only to lose the National Championship Game that year to #2 Penn State. The loss, along with losses in Miami's prior two bowl games, began to raise questions about whether Johnson was capable of winning major games. In the ensuing 1987 season, however, the Hurricanes went undefeated in the regular season yet again, and won the school's second National Title by defeating Oklahoma for the third season in a row.

Tom Osborne would be included on my list of duds with Jimmy, Frank Beamer, and Bo Schembechler if he hadn't managed to put together that great 4 year run at the end. Osborne notoriously lost every single big game Nebraska played in until Tommie Frazier (best option quarterback I've ever seen) came along. He blundered away the 1983 national title against an overmatched opponent.... lost a rematch with Oklahoma in the late 70's... couldn't beat Bobby Bowden to save his life in 4 bowl games.... got shut out by Miami in an Orange Bowl.... somehow lost to Iowa St. in 1992, who hadn't beat Nebraska in three decades... blew a shot at a three-peat by getting shutout by Pat Tillman's Arizona St. team... and then bungled away the first ever Big-12 title game... despite INHERITING a gift of a program from Bob Devaney.

The win over Nebraska has more to do with Tom Osborne than luck... which is a different subject all together.

Tom Osborne would be included on my list of duds with Jimmy, Frank Beamer, and Bo Schembechler if he hadn't managed to put together that great 4 year run at the end. Osborne notoriously lost every single big game Nebraska played in until Tommie Frazier (best option quarterback I've ever seen) came along. He blundered away the 1983 national title against an overmatched opponent.... lost a rematch with Oklahoma in the late 70's... couldn't beat Bobby Bowden to save his life in 4 bowl games.... got shut out by Miami in an Orange Bowl.... somehow lost to Iowa St. in 1992, who hadn't beat Nebraska in three decades... blew a shot at a three-peat by getting shutout by Pat Tillman's Arizona St. team... and then bungled away the first ever Big-12 title game... despite INHERITING a gift of a program from Bob Devaney.

The win over Nebraska has more to do with Tom Osborne than luck... which is a different subject all together.

Agree about Osborne and Beamer.
The reason i think the Canes got lucky was that last play which could have gone either way.

[video=youtube;MoNs0mdKAO8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoNs0mdKAO8[/video]

But hey that is football.

Jimmy's accomplishments elsewhere other than Miami is what barely gets him into the college Hall of Fame. His experience as a head coach in college doesn't even meet the minimum requirement of 10 years.He was 1-1 in national championship games as a coach and has a losing record in bowl games (2-3). Dennis Erickson has a higher winning percentage at Miami, and won twice as many national titles as Jimmy. Erickson is also an innovator of the one-back offense going back to his days at Idaho where Scott Linehan played quarterback for him. He'll be there soon.Out of Jimmy, Dennis Erickson, and Howard Schnellenberger.... Jimmy is the least deserving to be in the college football Hall of Fame. The fact that Howard Schnellenberger is ineligible based on winning percentage is the biggest travesty in the sport. He resurrected dead programs, and started brand new one's. One of the best program builders of his era.He took what he learned from Bear Bryant at Alabama and is the reason the University of Miami even has a football program. Howard Schnellenberger is why Jimmy Johnson is now in the college football Hall of Fame. This man belongs in the Hall of Fame.
Are you ****ing stoned??? Erickson, who won two National Championships with Jimmy Johnsons' players. He was handed two titles. How many losses did Dennis Erickson have when all of the players on the team were his recruits? What was it, four or five? Erickson didn't have enough sense to scrape the one back offense, when he didn't recruit players that fit that scheme.

Last edited by a moderator:
Erickson inherited a championship team . I give him credit for not F ing it up.
Hell i could have coached that team to a title or two. :idk:
He was no J J . i give Butch Davis lots of credit for bring them back to prominance. He's the best coach we've had since Jimmy.

Jimmy's accomplishments elsewhere other than Miami is what barely gets him into the college Hall of Fame. His experience as a head coach in college doesn't even meet the minimum requirement of 10 years.

He was 1-1 in national championship games as a coach and has a losing record in bowl games (2-3).

Dennis Erickson has a higher winning percentage at Miami, and won twice as many national titles as Jimmy. Erickson is also an innovator of the one-back offense going back to his days at Idaho where Scott Linehan played quarterback for him. He'll be there soon.

Out of Jimmy, Dennis Erickson, and Howard Schnellenberger.... Jimmy is the least deserving to be in the college football Hall of Fame. The fact that Howard Schnellenberger is ineligible based on winning percentage is the biggest travesty in the sport. He resurrected dead programs, and started brand new one's. One of the best program builders of his era.

He took what he learned from Bear Bryant at Alabama and is the reason the University of Miami even has a football program. Howard Schnellenberger is why Jimmy Johnson is now in the college football Hall of Fame.

This man belongs in the Hall of Fame.

Great post. Facts to back up your obvious emotion.

Looking back on it I see Jimmy Johnson as the beginning of the dread "Dallas Retread" disease that has been a scourge to Miami's growth since the end of the Shula era. It seems that our owners have admired the success of the Cowboys. When their experiments with Saban and Cam didn't work they adopted a go after "proven" success with Jimmy Johnson, then his sidekick Wanny, then Parcells which brought us Sparano. In turn the coaching/management seemed to spend a lot of time trying to plug gaps with Dallas retreads.

I'm so glad that Philbin and company are not part of that Dallas culture/philosophy.

JJ is a piece of ****.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you FU#@*$& stoned??? Erickson, who won two National Championships with Jimmy Johnsons' players. He was handed two titles. How many losses did Dennis Erickson have when all of the players on the team were his recruits? What was it, four or five? Erickson didn't have enough sense to scrape the one back offense, when he didn't recruit players that fit that scheme.

Erickson won more national titles and had a higher winning percentage with Jimmy's players than Jimmy did with Jimmy's players. He won 2 titles and played for another. Dennis Erickson won 29 straight games with that group of kids until he lost to Gene Stallings and Alabama in the '93 Sugar Bowl. They hadn't lost a game since Notre Dame in 1990. Coaches aren't "handed" that. Erickson had a resume rebuilding programs long before he went to Miami.

Jimmy inherited a national championship team and won with Schnellenberger's players the same way. Gene Stallings won a title with Bill Curry's players. Bob Stoops won a title with John Blake's players. Les Miles won a title with Nick Saban's players. Nick Saban won a title with Mike Shula's players. Gene Chizik won a title with Tommy Tuberville's players. Tuberville replaced Sonny Lubick as defensive coordinator for Miami under Erickson after Lubick left for Colorado St. We can do this nonsense all day.

Barry Switzer won a superbowl with Jimmy's players in Dallas. The significance of both was that it didn't require Jimmy for those players to win.

Jimmy was a decent coach who's brilliance was in his eye for talent.

Great post. Facts to back up your obvious emotion.

Looking back on it I see Jimmy Johnson as the beginning of the dread "Dallas Retread" disease that has been a scourge to Miami's growth since the end of the Shula era. It seems that our owners have admired the success of the Cowboys. When their experiments with Saban and Cam didn't work they adopted a go after "proven" success with Jimmy Johnson, then his sidekick Wanny, then Parcells which brought us Sparano. In turn the coaching/management seemed to spend a lot of time trying to plug gaps with Dallas retreads.

I'm so glad that Philbin and company are not part of that Dallas culture/philosophy.

You got your history a little mixed up my friend. Jimmy was hired to follow Shula LONG before the Dallas connection that started with Parcells. Jimmy brought no dallas players here but maybe he should have.
Back then Dallas was winning superbowls. Parcells brought the scrubs he had drafted in Dallas and Ireland continued the process with Matt Moore.
This is a fun debate but please get your facts straight.

Erickson won more national titles and had a higher winning percentage with Jimmy's players than Jimmy did with Jimmy's players. He won 2 titles and played for another. Dennis Erickson won 29 straight games with that group of kids until he lost to Gene Stallings and Alabama in the '93 Sugar Bowl. They hadn't lost a game since Notre Dame in 1990. Coaches aren't "handed" that. Erickson had a resume rebuilding programs long before he went to Miami.

Jimmy inherited a national championship team and won with Schnellenberger's players the same way. Gene Stallings won a title with Bill Curry's players. Bob Stoops won a title with John Blake's players. Les Miles won a title with Nick Saban's players. Nick Saban won a title with Mike Shula's players. Gene Chizik won a title with Tommy Tuberville's players. Tuberville replaced Sonny Lubick as defensive coordinator for Miami under Erickson after Lubick left for Colorado St. We can do this nonsense all day.

Barry Switzer won a superbowl with Jimmy's players in Dallas. The significance of both was that it didn't require Jimmy for those players to win.

Jimmy was a decent coach who's brilliance was in his eye for talent.
Your knowledge of college football far exceeds mine so I'll leave it at this.
The guy played on a nat champ team. The guy coach two nat camp games winning one of them and the team he left won two more.. The guy went on to win two superbowl in the pro's and the team he left won another under Switzer.
i will match that resume with ANYONE in football today.

Like Jimmy or not he is an interesting guy who did things his way and got the ultimate reasons.
The debocal against Jax tarnish a fine coaching career and today the man lives in the keys and fishing is his love.
Maybe that's why i like him and believe the award is justifed.

You got your history a little mixed up my friend. Jimmy was hired to follow Shula LONG before the Dallas connection that started with Parcells. Jimmy brought no dallas players here but maybe he should have.
Back then Dallas was winning superbowls. Parcells brought the scrubs he had drafted in Dallas and Ireland continued the process with Matt Moore.
This is a fun debate but please get your facts straight.
Jimmy Johnson got the job because of his success with Dallas.... not because of his TV gig. I don't think I got that wrong.

#$%# that useless $#@%er. He may have drafted some good players. BUt he treated Marino like garbage, I will never let that grudge go.

The Marino stuff was bad, but nowhere near as bad as leaving us with Wanny, which is the biggest reason we are where we are today.

Back
Top Bottom