Congrats To Jerome Baker | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Congrats To Jerome Baker

If you're not watching tape its hard for me at least to watch every defensive player out there. I usually check to see if guys are being left open or the pass rush and lately I haven't really noticed Baker out there. But maybe that's a good thing and hopefully it means he isn't blowing assignments or missing tackles.

He's had a few very impactful games. Pick 6 game, another game with a couple sacks.

And he was a third rounder. Came in and started right away. I'm happy with how he's turned out.

Baker spent a lot of time missing his assignments too, and more time running around very fast and not making plays. He needs to bury his head in the playbook and practice a lot more until he learns what he is supposed to do, where he is supposed to be, what his gap and role are, and starts playing like an instinctual linebacker. The kid has a LOT of work to do.

Baker spent a lot of time missing his assignments too, and more time running around very fast and not making plays. He needs to bury his head in the playbook and practice a lot more until he learns what he is supposed to do, where he is supposed to be, what his gap and role are, and starts playing like an instinctual linebacker. The kid has a LOT of work to do.
it seems most of our guys on defense don't know where they're supposed to be half the time. We see it all the time as they all seem confused and how many times after an easy pass TD you see the DB's looking at each other as if to say "I thought that was your guy to cover". This is not just Baker but the whole back 7

Those guys running open is on coaching. If your scheme is too difficult to learn it's a crappy scheme. If you can't teach it, you're a crappy coach. McMillan and Baker looked awesome at Ohio State. They were well coached up there. We have 5 or 6 really good players on D to build around. First order of business: Fire Burke and hire the right guy. I don't want some young kid that never did it in the pros. I want a veteran DC who's won Super Bowls. If not Super Bowls, big championship games in December and January. Then get some D-Lineman in here. It was such a shame when William Hayes went down, then Taylor. Restock at DT and get a CB to play opposite Xavien Howard. That way you can put Fitzpatrick at Safety paired with Jones. This can be an attacking defense that is fun to watch but Burke isn't dialing up ****.

He’s been fun to watch. He has the speed and playmaking abilities to be disruptive. I still think we need to upgrade the depth overall at the position. After the starting three there isn’t anyone. And still not sold on McMillan and hope he gets faster somehow.

Chase Allen is the only depth piece I really like, but they are both slow run stuffer types. With all the help needed at DL and CB I don't see LB getting addressed this offseason though.

Those guys running open is on coaching. If your scheme is too difficult to learn it's a crappy scheme. If you can't teach it, you're a crappy coach. McMillan and Baker looked awesome at Ohio State. They were well coached up there. We have 5 or 6 really good players on D to build around. First order of business: Fire Burke and hire the right guy. I don't want some young kid that never did it in the pros. I want a veteran DC who's won Super Bowls. If not Super Bowls, big championship games in December and January. Then get some D-Lineman in here. It was such a shame when William Hayes went down, then Taylor. Restock at DT and get a CB to play opposite Xavien Howard. That way you can put Fitzpatrick at Safety paired with Jones. This can be an attacking defense that is fun to watch but Burke isn't dialing up ****.
I don’t see how Burke is retained when you give up 500,000 yards per game.

Those guy had a great D-line in front of them to work with at Ohio ST. I agree we need to fix the D-line which in turn would really help the LB's and DB's for that matter.

Correct. 1-2 guys missing assignments can be the players. Almost all missing assignments seemingly every 3rd play is coaching

I liked him coming out, and he is really good. Dolphins need to continue to draft like that. I posted this in last year's draft forum: Speed, Bench press, and Broad Jump are important.

For Linebackers, I will go with top 15 fast guys, and those with strength (bench) and explosion (broad jump):

Jerome Baker, Tremaine Edmunds, Malik Jefferson, Dorian O'Daniel, and I will lump in Griffin as well. (And the ones i like on tape, Evans, Jack Cichy, and Shaun Dion Hamilton, who did not participate in drills.)

it seems most of our guys on defense don't know where they're supposed to be half the time. We see it all the time as they all seem confused and how many times after an easy pass TD you see the DB's looking at each other as if to say "I thought that was your guy to cover". This is not just Baker but the whole back 7
I would suggest maybe, just maybe its not the players.

Baker is the least of my concerns. He played well for a third round rookie. Aside from MF, he played way better than most of our recent top round picks.

He should be an absolute stud next year.

Raekwon will be another year healthier and stronger as well.

Maybe a day 3 guy will get added but i dont expect a LB in the first three rounds next year. We could draft a 2nd DL or OL before we take a LB.

raekwon may be one of the worst linebackers ever in Ds history and we ve had some bad ones. he puts his head down and rushes away from the ball carrier.
he needs to go asap.

Well you have a point that it happens a lot in this defense. It is nothing like Bill Arnsparger's defense that almost never made any mental errors … mental errors happen all the time in Miami these days.

But, when you watch Baker play, it's as if he is winging almost everything he does. He very often blows assignments. He is responsible for contain, but he fills the first hole he sees leaving his side open for huge runs. He runs up and does not tackle. He leaves holes in the defense that cause a lot of problems. One knock against him before the draft was that he didn't try hard … and that's exactly what we're seeing, a guy whos athletics are rare, but who doesn't put in the effort and continues to look lost and repeat his mistakes. That needs to change. The Dolphins have had a lot of athletic LB's over the last decade or so that simply didn't learn how to play the position. I'm hoping Baker is not just another false-dawn in the long line of LB's we have seen in Miami who were good athletes and poor football players.

Back
Top Bottom