Consensus reached on playoff | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Consensus reached on playoff

Sounds more like Slive had no choice than a consensus.

Furthermore, college football will never be able to establish full egalitarianism as long as these meetings consist of "Conference Commissioners and Notre Dame Athletic Director".... you're already playing by a different set of rules before everyone even sits down at the table...

I think it's going to turn out to be one big mess, yes you might have 3 teams on 12-0, but you might have 5 teams on 11-1.
So picking the 4th team to go into the big 4 is going to be a nightmare............good luck.

I think it's going to turn out to be one big mess, yes you might have 3 teams on 12-0, but you might have 5 teams on 11-1.
So picking the 4th team to go into the big 4 is going to be a nightmare............good luck.

Exactly right.... which is where the "selection committee" will be required to put more emphasis on conference "champions" as opposed to who they really think the best team is when it comes down to choosing between a handfull of teams with the same record.

Although there will be other criteria involved such as strength of schedule, head-to-head meetings, etc. The problem with strength of schedule is that it's determined by how your opponents were ranked in the polls to begin with, so it just comes back to someone's opinion anyway. They really didn't fix anything when you get right down to it. The purpose of this entire proposal was to keep the best conference from being able to have more than one participant eligible to play for a national championship.

The other conferences can't beat the SEC on the field so have to try to beat 'em with politics.

One of the main issues I have with this format is that there doesn't even appear to be a "Look-In" clause where they can re-evaluate the system after a few years or so. They're going to be locked in to this for 12 years once they implement it.

Exactly right.... which is where the "selection committee" will be required to put more emphasis on conference "champions" as opposed to who they really think the best team is when it comes down to choosing between a handfull of teams with the same record.

Although there will be other criteria involved such as strength of schedule, head-to-head meetings, etc. The problem with strength of schedule is that it's determined by how your opponents were ranked in the polls to begin with, so it just comes back to someone's opinion anyway. They really didn't fix anything when you get right down to it. The purpose of this entire proposal was to keep the best conference from being able to have more than one participant eligible to play for a national championship.

The other conferences can't beat the SEC on the field so have to try to beat 'em with politics.

One of the main issues I have with this format is that there doesn't even appear to be a "Look-In" clause where they can re-evaluate the system after a few years or so. They're going to be locked in to this for 12 years once they implement it.

Its all a joke and is why college football will continue to blow.

Youre exactly right. It basically all comes down to opinions. Youre also correct as to why this system was put into place....... people are getting tired of the SEC dominating. Problem for them is so long as at least 1 SEC team will be involved, that team will win the playoff..... at least for the next few years. Things can change but it will be a few years if it happens. The SEC is simply far superior to the other leagues.

But, the main point is that no matter what, so long as this is done by a "committee" or "voting" or someones OPINION its all a ****ing joke. I dont care if you made it 8 teams. Youre still going to have debate as to which teams get in. Its really not an improvement on the system that was in place.

I also love how Notre Dame is still a must be considered in all of these things when anyone watching football the last 10 years can plainly see that Natre Dame ****ing blows and will not win a title anytime soon. Special rules if ND is ranked in the top 10 blah blah whatever. This is not much different than the agreements married couples make that if some special movie star wanted to let them smash they would be allowed. GET ****ing REAL!

And youre also correct about it coming down to conference winners. As if some garbage team from the Big 12 or Big 10 could actually beat the best team in the SEC. Those teams couldnt beat the 4th best team in the SEC.

Bottom line is college football is garbage because its all about POLLS. Polls that are made before games are even played no less. Its a joke.

Anytime they want a real system in place simply go to 8 10 team conferences. You win the conference, you play in the 8 team playoff for the title. No polls necessary. All you need is games and final scores. Thats it. Thats the way any legitimate league does it. And if youre concerned about the other 50 teams in Division I, simply include a 5 team subdivision of the 8 conferences. Each year the team that finishes first in that subdivision moves up into the regular division and the last place team of the regular division moves into the subdivision. The schedules for those teams can be made up of 9 games vs their own subdivision and 5 from another subdivision. They can play 2-3 games that they schedule on their own. The 10 teams in the regular championship divisions play the 9 games in their division and 2-3 that they can schedule on their own. That way it dosent matter if you want to play cupcakes or rivals from another division. All that will matter will be the 9 division games in deciding who gets the playoff birth for each respective division. Simple as that. But, why let a good idea get in the way of the stupidity that is college football.

The college basketball works because its so many teams. And while there are debates about who gets snubbed from the field, those debates are pointless. None of the teams who ever get left out could ever win that tournament. And yes, its a bit watered down, but at least the best teams get their shot. Win 6 games and youre the champ. You simply cant have a football playoff that large. If you made it 16 teams, the best team will never get left out. With this 4 team thing, the best team could finish 2nd in the SEC and get left out. For instance, last season Alabama was clearly the best team in the country and couldve gotten left out in this new scenario I suppose.

Even the most critical of the BCS formula agree that the two best teams in the country played for the national title last year in New Orleans... which is what the BCS was designed to do. It did it's job.

The only reason they want to change it now is because of all the whining by the other conferences. It's not the media that changed their minds about a playoff in college football, it's the university presidents that finally changed their mind due to SEC fatigue. They were the one's preventing any sort of playoff from happening.... until now.

The part that scared 'em wasn't only the fact that LSU and Alabama were the 2 best teams in the country last year, but also that Arkansas was probably the 3rd best team in the country. These other conferences can't deal with that.

Now they've made it to where a bunch of inferior football teams with the label of "conference champion" get a shot to play for the national championship. That doesn't work. All conferences aren't equal, nor do they all even decide their champion in the same manner.

Welcome to the era of "football by committee" and an "all inclusive" format where the inferior conferences and their "champions" are able to get in on the action. They damn sure weren't going to accomplish it on the field... and they know it. They had to use politics.

Wait until the selection committee has to choose between an 11-1 Notre Dame team and an 11-1 team from a BCS conference whose only loss was in the conference championship game.... like I said, they didn't fix anything other than limiting the most powerful conference, which was their goal.

Not that I particularly like the way the NFL decides it's champion either....

I don't have a problem with that.

The bigger problem was that in the past, there were sometimes 3 teams that could be considered #1. Like what happened to USC in the 2003-2004 season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BCS_controversies#2003.E2.80.9304_season

The four team playoff eliminates that problem.

In the scenario you describe, if the #5 team went 11-1, they have nobody to blame but themselves. There were 3 undefeated teams ahead of them.

The Boise State problem still remains, if a small school goes undefeated, but doesn't get a good enough ranking to take a shot at the national title. But at least there are now four spots instead of two, which gives a bigger window & possibility for an undefeated Boise State to sneak in.

Back
Top Bottom