Cool Video About Larry Csonka | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cool Video About Larry Csonka

My childhood hero!
Anytime I got the ball (from the TE position), I was Larry Csonka after the catch!!!! HeHe:pbj:

My kids are Dolphins fans and can't understand why I think Csonka is the greatest Dolphin player ever. Just goes to show, history for most people begins when they are born.

photo.php

Larry Csonka hosted last weekend's football game for my travel club. He is one of the nicest guys I have ever met. While waiting in the hotel lobby, Larry was telling stories about the longest game and Dick Butkus. Then he rode the bus with us to the game and we pulled up right in front of the stadium. When you have Larry Csonka with you, its like having an all access pass. We sat in the club level right below Larry and his wife and during the 4th quarter he invited us up into the suite. Larry and I were having conversations about the state of football and more importantly his feelings on this team and coaching staff. It was a really a legendary weekend for me to meet one of my childhood football heroes. Sorry I tried to upload some pictures but can't figure it out.

Attachments

• larrycsonka.jpg
    larrycsonka.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 5
Said it before. Say it again.

BEST EVER pure FB!

Actually makes me sad what the NFL has cheatingly become.

BNF.

Hell...I'm so old,i saw most of those highlights live...

Same. I remember the game and where I was when I watched it.

Only one that caught me off guard was the flailing forearm at 1:38 against the Colts. I haven't seen that angle previously, or at least I didn't remember it.

The video failed to mention how popular Csonka was, the most beloved player on that early '70s team.

Anyway, that video and playing style are the reasons I was never a fan of the Marino era. I loved tough. Dolphins tough followed the Lombardi Green Bay tough. I assumed the Dolphins would always be tough.

Csonka was my first hero as a kid. Those SB wins were what made me a fan and I remember my older brother giving me **** (he was a disgruntled Vikings fan) when Csonka, Kiick and Warfield signed to go to the WFL. I knew that 1974 was their last year and that Sea of Hands loss was a loss I still can't get over.. I remember that game so clearly and I was 8. It was great when he came back in 1979, and even tho he played well, it wasn't the same. I'd love to do the tour package that he has on his site, like Drfletcherdc did.

Last edited:
Actually, that's not even a good highlight reel of him. Guess half of the most impressive stuff just wasn't easily available.

For me, it looked like this. It's 3rd and 2, everyone in the stadium knows Csonka is getting the ball and going up the middle. The offense is bunched up tight, the defense is stacked in tight, then the two lines hit like one of those old games where you took tiny toy players and put them on this vibrating playing field. It was a massive pile of bodies, with the OL generating zero push. Then you watch Csonka get handed the ball … and he wasn't very fast so it took a second for him to hit the line, then you counted … one Mississippi, two Mississippi, and as Csonka disappeared into the pile … the pile started to move … as if he picked the whole scrum up on his shoulders, Herculean, he carried it exactly two and a half yards for a first down, and then the pile stopped.

Sure, it wasn't a big gain, and as stats go … it was relatively disappointing. But it was an awesome display of dominance, generated the much-needed first down almost every time, and there is something raw and satisfying to knowing that you can get 2 yards any time you want, and there's absolutely nothing the other team can do to stop you. So Csonka didn't have too many explosive plays of 40 yards or anything. But he was always good for 3 or 4. By the 4th quarter … teams were so weary from trying to gang-tackle him or throwing themselves under the streamroller, that they practically gave up, physically beaten, utterly dominated, and without hope of winning the game.

Yeah, those days were fun. THAT'S why everyone who ever saw Larry Csonka play agrees he was the best-ever fullback. And those people who disagree probably just looked at stats.

Back
Top Bottom