CORRECTED LINK: OC info some will like....some won't. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

CORRECTED LINK: OC info some will like....some won't.

We shall see if it was a poor pick.

You can't fairly evalaluate a drafted player until, at least, the end of year 2.

No, we will never know who had how much to do with individual player selection, but I would propose that it really doesn't matter at this point.

Grier and Flo are now tied to each other. If one or the other fails, it likely means the end of both with the Dolphin org.
Igby was a poor pick at that spot. I’m not saying long term that he won’t end up something serviceable, but it was a flat out reach pick. We got very poor value at 30 at best and a bust at worst. Sooo many solid players still on the board and it didn’t take an NFL GM worth his weight to see it. It also takes zero hindsight because me and many others were screaming for a couple of different guys on the board.

This pick, the 30th overall, was one of the two gem picks from trading a franchise LT.

First off all both Brees and Brady are over 40 years old and anyone that old would show signs of aging it's only natural. The same goes for Roethlisberger. (By the way, I don't feel Brady has lost much velocity). Second of all, all this talk about how weak Tua's arm is is WAY overblown.
I’m not saying his arm is weak. It just doesn’t look as strong as Tannehill or Aaron Rodgers to me. By the way, Brady didn’t have a cannon when he came out, Bob Griese’s arm wasn’t the strongest, neither was Bart Starr (9-1 in playoff games) or Joe Montana. All I’m saying is unless you have a Dan Marino or John Elway in their primes it’s probably not a good idea to build an offense that throws 40 times per game every week. I’m still a fan of balanced offense. I don’t care if it’s run to set up PA or passing to set up the run - but you have to have multiple dimensions. I like Tua and I think he’s going to be terrific. I don’t think he had a great rookie campaign but that’s ok - he got valuable experience and he’s shown he can manage situations and win games.

Igby was a poor pick at that spot. I’m not saying long term that he won’t end up something serviceable, but it was a flat out reach pick. We got very poor value at 30 at best and a bust at worst. Sooo many solid players still on the board and it didn’t take an NFL GM worth his weight to see it. It also takes zero hindsight because me and many others were screaming for a couple of different guys on the board.

This pick, the 30th overall, was one of the two gem picks from trading a franchise LT.
I love the kids pedigree in that his parents are world class athletes too etc. My issue is he was soooooooo raw - and at one of the hardest positions to play - that by the time he develops - if he develops - he’ll be a FA. With about a 4 year window to make the best use of most of your rookies, teams have to really think hard about taking “projects”. Gesicki is a another one - took him until year 3 to put it together. He has another good year next year and someone will snatch him up w Charles Clay like over payment. And he (Gesicki) wasn’t a reach. Iggy - yuck. PS - not sure why we took that position there w X, Jones, Needham, Rowe and McCain (all serviceable or better CBs).

I love the kids pedigree in that his parents are world class athletes too etc. My issue is he was soooooooo raw - and at one of the hardest positions to play - that by the time he develops - if he develops - he’ll be a FA. With about a 4 year window to make the best use of most of your rookies, teams have to really think hard about taking “projects”. Gesicki is a another one - took him until year 3 to put it together. He has another good year next year and someone will snatch him up w Charles Clay like over payment. And he (Gesicki) wasn’t a reach. Iggy - yuck. PS - not sure why we took that position there w X, Jones, Needham, Rowe and McCain (all serviceable or better CBs).
My guess is Iggy comes in, just as Jones or Howard departs.

I hope Igby works out as well, but right now he's a serious project. I think we fell in love with the 40 speed again. He's a first round pick, I'd prefer first rounders to not be long term projects, especially on a team (Fins after 2019 season) that is basically bereft of talent.
Iggy is a boundary corner. Who was he going to start over? X or Jones? He will be fine.

Iggy is a boundary corner. Who was he going to start over? X or Jones? He will be fine.
So he’s pegged as a boundary guy at 20 forever? He had to beat out BJ or X to get time?

Look if he was flashing, he would’ve been on the field in nickel or dime packages. Flo even ran some quarter (7 DBs) at times. Talent will get on the field. He clearly couldn’t break through in a single package. When he was on the field he was a liability.

Grier didn't decide, in a vacuum, to take Iggy. Flo/scouts were good with it or it wouldn't have happened. And, apparently, does use R1 picks on a project.
Flo doesnt make final decisions on draft pics. He dossnt tell the gm "sorry dude, your not drafting that guy".

Flo has FULL control over who plays on game day, grier is the guy who has COMPLETE say in who is drafted. He absolutely takes input from flo but flo has no veto power in the draft room or free agency.

I’m not saying his arm is weak. It just doesn’t look as strong as Tannehill or Aaron Rodgers to me. By the way, Brady didn’t have a cannon when he came out, Bob Griese’s arm wasn’t the strongest, neither was Bart Starr (9-1 in playoff games) or Joe Montana. All I’m saying is unless you have a Dan Marino or John Elway in their primes it’s probably not a good idea to build an offense that throws 40 times per game every week. I’m still a fan of balanced offense. I don’t care if it’s run to set up PA or passing to set up the run - but you have to have multiple dimensions. I like Tua and I think he’s going to be terrific. I don’t think he had a great rookie campaign but that’s ok - he got valuable experience and he’s shown he can manage situations and win games.
POST OF THE MONTH!!!

Flo doesnt make final decisions on draft pics. He dossnt tell the gm "sorry dude, your not drafting that guy".

Flo has FULL control over who plays on game day, grier is the guy who has COMPLETE say in who is drafted. He absolutely takes input from flo but flo has no veto power in the draft room or free agency.
Flo has repeatedly said he won't take a player the coach doesn't want. It's a collaboration and if Flo wants the guy, in all likelihood, Grier is going to draft him. He did the same thing with Gase. There are probably some players Grier and the scouting department feel strongly about and they'll try to convince Flo and the rest of the coaches to take that player but if they can't sell the player then he won't get drafted. That's not the way Grier works.

We disagree

Flo has repeatedly said he won't take a player the coach doesn't want. It's a collaboration and if Flo wants the guy, in all likelihood, Grier is going to draft him. He did the same thing with Gase. There are probably some players Grier and the scouting department feel strongly about and they'll try to convince Flo and the rest of the coaches to take that player but if they can't sell the player then he won't get drafted. That's not the way Grier works.

Agree. I doubt Flo and the scouts (plural) disagree.

Back
Top Bottom