Could 49ers still want Rodgers ahead of Smith????? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could 49ers still want Rodgers ahead of Smith?????

Butterfrog 2.0

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I been thinking about it, and something I just read on here Really made me wonder....... Could the 49ers still Really have a higher grade on, and Like Aaron Rodgers better than Smith, But have turned ALL their focus on Smith even the whole contract negotiation thing Just so they'd get the trade offers/attention that it looked like Miami was going to get? This would be pretty smart if it was what they were doing, I mean if they had been saying all along they wanted Rodgers, they would have had to pick him at #1 and that's it, but this way they COULD still trade the #1 pick, AND get Rodgers, plus a few extra high picks. If they really wanted Rodgers, and the high trade value was for another player, they'd be FOOLS not to try this tactic with the #1 overall. Oh, and it's awefully funny how All signs pointed to Rodgers until it seemed like Miami was getting all the interest from other teams as if they held all the cards, and then very quickly you see The 9ers do a complete 180

This certainly is a possibility - you may be right. Take a look at another thread with the report involving Mike Nolan. A 49er beat writer says he is unsure which direction they will go and suspect they brought Smith into the picture to get back control of the draft from Miami.

outlawd2u said:
I been thinking about it, and something I just read on here Really made me wonder....... Could the 49ers still Really have a higher grade on, and Like Aaron Rodgers better than Smith, But have turned ALL their focus on Smith even the whole contract negotiation thing Just so they'd get the trade offers/attention that it looked like Miami was going to get? This would be pretty smart if it was what they were doing, I mean if they had been saying all along they wanted Rodgers, they would have had to pick him at #1 and that's it, but this way they COULD still trade the #1 pick, AND get Rodgers, plus a few extra high picks. If they really wanted Rodgers, and the high trade value was for another player, they'd be FOOLS not to try this tactic with the #1 overall. Oh, and it's awefully funny how All signs pointed to Rodgers until it seemed like Miami was getting all the interest from other teams as if they held all the cards, and then very quickly you see The 9ers do a complete 180
That was my first reaction but i'm also a "glass half empty" person. I think it would greatly be in Miami's favor if both Edwards and Smith were still on the board when they're on the clock. And if no trade offers are worthy, they can just take Smith. The guy most belive Miami seems to covet.

I would say the only reason why the 49ers would take Rodgers over Smith is if they can get him really cheap....and from what I hear...thats what his agent is saying...because his agent knows Rodgers will drop..drop..drop..

The 49ers could also end up Drafting Alex Smith, and then making a trade to whoever wants him, and still get Rodgers that way. Either way if Rodgers really is the guy they want, the smart thing to do would be to totally ignore the fact that he's their #1 guy

fishypete said:
I would say the only reason why the 49ers would take Rodgers over Smith is if they can get him really cheap....and from what I hear...thats what his agent is saying...because his agent knows Rodgers will drop..drop..drop..

So the 49er franchise is going to take whom they believe to be the lesser of the 2 QB's just to save a few million? I think not. They will select who they want and who they feel is be suited for them/ best QB in the draft if thats what they are really after. This isn't like buying cheaper paper towels to save some$$ this is the future of their franchise. :smackhead

outlawd2u said:
The 49ers could also end up Drafting Alex Smith, and then making a trade to whoever wants him, and still get Rodgers that way. Either way if Rodgers really is the guy they want, the smart thing to do would be to totally ignore the fact that he's their #1 guy

This is a possiblity also. This is one of my theories on Saban actually wanting Rodgers by not saying jack about him, and creating smoke screens for Smith. Then again...who knows. Sabans a fiesty one. :tongue:

merlin00069 said:
So the 49er franchise is going to take whom they believe to be the lesser of the 2 QB's just to save a few million? I think not. They will select who they want and who they feel is be suited for them/ best QB in the draft if thats what they are really after. This isn't like buying cheaper paper towels to save some$$ this is the future of their franchise. :smackhead

Lets remember we're talking about the 49ers....the cheap 49ers...and whats to say they don't have Rodgers and Smith rated equally. Now wouldn't you take Rodgers..the local boy...who would be cheaper and easily signed. Think fast...you only have 15 minutes.

Conspiracies and mind games receive far more credit than they deserve. The vast majority of people and corporations are life and death to maintain basic competence, not head fake. San Francisco will take Smith because they have him rated highest longterm at the most critical position. Someone tapped them on the shoulder and told them they have the first pick.

outlawd2u said:

This is what i have been saying. Thats completly all they are doing, no chance 49ers end up with smith. They will probably switch to saying they are taking edwards seeing the offer the doplphins apparently got from minny

I think the 9ers want whichever Qb they take to be signed because he'll probably be there starter from day one. I think nothing hurts a rookie QB more than a holdout so I'm sure signability plays into it, but if they take Smith and the Phins trade down with Minnesota I would much rather have Aaron Rodgers if he were still available over C. Williams, who I think would be the rb left, I would also take Alex Barron ahead of Williams but we'll see what happens.

Everybody saying that you HAVE to take the best player reguardless of money isn't necissarily correct. If they had Rodgers even with Smith, or even just a fraction below the Extra Money Smith is going to get plays into their future also. Highly overpaying for a player can kill you in the long run when down the road you're not able to sign key players because of ONE other guy

Man, maybe we get smith, maybe edwards, maybe trade picks with tampa, minny, washington...
I dont know how organized things are going to be on draft day, but DAMN my head would be spinning!!!!

The 49ers wanted to see if anybody is willing to give up an arm and a leg to grab Alex Smith. Look at the timing (They became completely enamored with Alex Smith and decided he's flat-out better than Rodgers in just the past week, huh? Yeah, right). EVERYBODY assumed they were going to take Rodgers, and that was certainly what they were leading everybody to believe until suddenly teams started to talk to us about trading down. I think the 49ers would love to trade down and still get Rodgers. Unfortunately for the 49ers, nobody is willing to give up a ton of picks to grab Alex Smith with the first overall pick. Tampa doesn't really have the ammo to move up from #5 (And if San Francisco traded down that far, they COULD possibly lose out on Rodgers), and Minnesota knows Braylon Edwards is going to drop to #2 (Would you rather give Edwards the salary of the first overall player of the draft, or the salary of the second overall player of the draft? That's a no-brainer). Tampa appears to be the only team that's very interested in trading up to obtain Alex Smith, but they're not interested in trading up to the first overall pick. I suppose it's also possible the 49ers are hoping that we'll trade up into their slot in order to ensure that we get Smith. Dream on, Nolan.

I believe the 49ers are still very interested in Rodgers (I highly doubt they're no longer in contact with his agent), and may actually take him instead of Smith. We'll see...

Back
Top Bottom