Could Clowney Now be in Play? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could Clowney Now be in Play?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
A lot of talk about Miami adding a veteran wide receiver, but there's not much out there and the team has some interesting young players at the position.

But maybe with added cap space the Dolphins now make a play for Clowney? I know Miami was interested in Clowney early on in free agency. Maybe this ship has already sailed with the additions of Lawson and Ogbah. But on a one-year deal, could this now be a possibility? I assume his asking price has gone down and there's no doubt his impact would be greater than any free agent wide receiver currently available. Of course, the Dolphins could just roll the money over to next year which probably makes the most sense.

Doubt it, but then again I doubted Grier would take Tua with a clock on his head. So, who knows...

While I think Clowney would be the perfect addition to this team, I dont think it happens for all of the reasons mentioned above.

A 1 year contract with him would be a waste. 3 year 36 to 45 million would be adequate for his services. However, I think he signs with Seattle for that much instead.

I may be completely wrong but from here on I doubt that we spend big $ on anyone, especially Clowney who rejected interest from the Dolphins twice in the past 2 years. He's a high risk, arguably over-rated, expensive option and why have none of the other 31 NFL teams signed him to a large long term contract to date?
With the massive projected reduction in revenue generated in the league from attendance, the NFL has prudently announced a big reduction in next year's salary cap to a minimum of $175M. Net effect is that we can roll over the money not spent in 2020 to 2021 to help mitigate the hit (and we're better placed than most other teams). Currently, with Albert Wilson and Allan Hurns opting out, the Dolphins are around $24M under this year's salary cap.

Last edited:
I think the Clowney ship has sailed. This F/O went all out last year and he turned them down. He's been lolly gagging all off-season to no avail. Giving up cap space in 2020 means losing whatever precious space Miami has in 2021. Im not sure with, an expected decrease in cap space, its a wise move, to use it on a player not wanting to play in Miami. Time to settle in with what they have and move foward.

Pretty sure Seattle was up against the cap before then they went and got Adams so I do not see Clowney in Seattle. Hard to say he wants to go to a contender. Maybe Philadelphia or Tennessee. I would not mind having him. I just look at this roster and see a bunch of young, unproven guys. I mean we have a bunch of so so linemen on both sides of the ball, no true playmakers on offense except one good year out of Parker, JAG's at RB. Someone with some play making ability would be nice.

Back
Top Bottom