Could Clowney Now be in Play? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could Clowney Now be in Play?

New month, time for this question again.
I know. I thought about that before I posted, but the salary cap is more advantageous for Miami now with Wilson and Hurns opting out. Plus, I don't see any wide receivers out there that can honestly help much.

I don't see the Dolphins signing him, but I know they were interested at the beginning of free agency and last year as well despite being in a total rebuild. Have to think Flores really likes this guy.

I know. I thought about that before I posted, but the salary cap is more advantageous for Miami now with Wilson and Hurns opting out. Plus, I don't see any wide receivers out there that can honestly help much.

I don't see the Dolphins signing him, but I know they were interested at the beginning of free agency and last year as well despite being in a total rebuild. Have to think Flores really likes this guy.

IMO if Clowney wanted to be a Dolphin, he’d already have our jersey on.

#1 the Clown is a certified DIRTY player (and ain't very smart about it either)!

#2 the supposed "play" we made for the Clown last year was 100% smoke!

#3 the Clown don't fit into the mix Flo is building.

#4 huge $$$ for the Clown would be a HUGE mistake.

#5 decline the Clown show and move on.

My opinion. Of course.

BNF

The answer really is who knows. He could be very impactful for us but if we haven't made a move by the end of next week it's hard to imagine. I can see both sides. He spurned us last year but it may be different now on both his side and the side of our desire.

I think the Clowney ship has sailed. This F/O went all out last year and he turned them down. He's been lolly gagging all off-season to no avail. Giving up cap space in 2020 means losing whatever precious space Miami has in 2021. Im not sure with, an expected decrease in cap space, its a wise move, to use it on a player not wanting to play in Miami. Time to settle in with what they have and move foward.

If Clowney's numbers were as strong as others last season, the large contract demands could be more reasonable, but in comparison, it looks too high at the moment.

I would welcome Clowney into the fold. He's a top notch, high-quality player who can make any team better. I'm for signing him! Let's see what unfolds in the coming days.

Last edited:
I may be completely wrong but from here on I doubt that we spend big $ on anyone, especially Clowney who rejected interest from the Dolphins twice in the past 2 years. He's a high risk, arguably over-rated, expensive option and why have none of the other 31 NFL teams signed him to a large long term contract to date?
With the massive projected reduction in revenue generated in the league from attendance, the NFL has prudently announced a big reduction in next year's salary cap to a minimum of $175M. Net effect is that we can roll over the money not spent in 2020 to 2021 to help mitigate the hit (and we're better placed than most other teams). Currently, with Albert Wilson and Allan Hurns opting out, the Dolphins are around $24M under this year's salary cap.
I don’t think he’s overrated but I’m not paying him.

#1 the Clown is a certified DIRTY player (and ain't very smart about it either)!

#2 the supposed "play" we made for the Clown last year was 100% smoke!

#3 the Clown don't fit into the mix Flo is building.

#4 huge $$$ for the Clown would be a HUGE mistake.

#5 decline the Clown show and move on.

My opinion. Of course.

BNF
So petty and butthurt, lol

Back
Top Bottom