Could D Smith go #2 overall? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could D Smith go #2 overall?

I mean, I don't see that occurring but as others have responded, we are way away from enough being sorted out to forecast that. Let NYJ get a HC first and then let's see what happens with Hou and whether their HC choice appeases Watson then we'll at least have a sub-floor of reality.

A sub-floor of reality on an NFL fan forum.

I'm at a loss for words.

Im not feeling that there is any QB not named Lawrence who anyone would trade up to get. The whole 'trade-down' idea seems ludicrous now.
Am I wrong?
Is there, realistically, any player that any team would trade up to get at #3?

Let's say we had the 10th pick (for example). Is there any player we would trade up to 3 to get?

Are Zach Johnson or Trey Lance worth sacrificing that much capital to acquire at #3?

Let's say he gives us Ty Hilton level production for, say, 9 yrs. Is that worth #3?

I'm honestly asking more than questioning. I'm on the fence.

To be clear, my OP was a fun, speculative query for the literal 'sake of discussion'.

I usually leave my 'declarative' posts for when Im emotional, lol.

Let's say he gives us Ty Hilton level production for, say, 9 yrs. Is that worth #3?

A #1 WR who can succeed in the whole route tree for almost a decade is worth quite a lot...if you have a time machine and you know that would be the case.

My OP was certainly bombastic, in hindsight.

Ive been reviewing that NatChamp game in my head last couple days...

Ohio State's coverage was amazingly bad. What he did vs it vs having to separate from #1 NFL CBs is night and day.
It was ridiculous for me to even pose the OP question.

id say no you wouldn’t say that validates a top 5 pick investment.

I’ve already thought about stuff like that. What kind of return do I need from said player to validate a top 5 pick.

if it’s Sewell I need top 5 left tackle if it’s parsons I need top 3 off ball lb cause the off ball lb level isn’t very deep in true difference makers. If it’s a wr I need top 5 to 8 worst case and I’d lean more towards top 5

Knowing that I’d want this to be arrowing there at least by end of year 2

The Jets will be trading out of No. 2. Darnold will be fine now that Gase and his predictable offense is ****canned. There are a few QB needy teams that will be trading up for a QB, and Jets need a ton of picks if they want to compete in the AFCE.
Is Gase a QB killer or is Darnold a coach-killer?
Tannehill was having a great 2016 but had a miserable 2018.

I would think Jets would trade down if they want a QB to compete with Darnold cuz Im not feeling that Lance or Wilson (not 'Johnson' like I said earler ['derp']) is worth #2 overall

For example if you took dk metcalf top 5 and he’s played like he’s played to date Id say yes you validated that pick investment

Knowing that the arrow is pointing straight up and outside of the best corner in football Ramsey no one can do anything with him

As for value....If the Jets don’t go QB....They have to take Sewell or trade the pick. At least as things stand today. The combine and pro days could change things.
Im not feeling that there is any QB not named Lawrence who anyone would trade up to get. The whole 'trade-down' idea seems ludicrous now.
Am I wrong?
Is there, realistically, any player that any team would trade up to get at #3?

Let's say we had the 10th pick (for example). Is there any player we would trade up to 3 to get?

Are Zach Johnson or Trey Lance worth sacrificing that much capital to acquire at #3?
Jags are taking Lawrence.
Jets are taking Fields or Wilson.

The only way we can trade down is if someone falls in love with Wilson/Fields. Even better is 2 teams like the Falcons and Panthers both want a QB. They are in the same division and don’t want to face that QB twice a year.

If the Jets take Wilson I could see a bidding war for Fields between Atl and Car.

That would make him a successful pick.

But for me it's more about impact. IMO the biggest impact on the team would come from two things. One would be having a WR who could get open immediately. That quick separation would work regardless of how well the pass pro is b/c the ball would be getting out in under 2.5 seconds. The second biggest impact would be a RB who could get some yards on his own. We all know that a great RB can make an OL better b/c they don't have to hold their blocks as long. And actually our OL is already pretty good at hitting their initial blocks. They just struggle with sustaining those blocks.

Now I love Sewell as prospect and would never be upset with him as our pick. But reality is that we have seen that one great offensive lineman doesn't have a huge impact. Tunsil obviously wasn't as great but we saw that even when he did his job perfectly our OL still struggled. That's b/c it's too easy for defenses to just send their pressure against the weakest link. And defenses more than ever are sending that pressure up the middle rather than against the Ts.

IMO a great off-season would be if we traded Flowers and replaced him with Thuney, then drafted Smith and Harris and either Dickerson or Creed Humphrey. That would shore up the middle of our OL, give us a playmaker who could get fast separation outside and a three down RB who could keep us on schedule with his running and be effective in pass pro and as an outlet receiver. I think the impact on our offense would be huge.

Not concerned about thuneys play trending down somewhat this year I take it.

id make that trade too but I don’t know who’s taking on $10 mil for flowers

id say no you wouldn’t say that validates a top 5 pick investment.

I’ve already thought about stuff like that. What kind of return do I need from said player to validate a top 5 pick.

if it’s Sewell I need top 5 left tackle if it’s parsons I need top 3 off ball lb cause the off ball lb level isn’t very deep in true difference makers. If it’s a wr I need top 5 to 8 worst case and I’d lean more towards top 5

Knowing that I’d want this to be arrowing there at least by end of year 2
Parsons and Sewell both seem like 'Top 5' level talents.
We may not want 'the cornfed', but if it's truly 'BPA' then you do what drastically improves your roster.

Is Sewell way better than an OT available at 18? Probably.
Is D Smith way better than a WR available at 18? Probably not as much.
Is Parsons way better than a LB available at 18? Probably moreso than any WR.
It seems like Parsons or Sewell improves our team more than any WR. Those uber-talented guys are way too costly to acquire any other way.

Back
Top Bottom