Could D Smith go #2 overall? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could D Smith go #2 overall?

id say no you wouldn’t say that validates a top 5 pick investment.

I’ve already thought about stuff like that. What kind of return do I need from said player to validate a top 5 pick.

if it’s Sewell I need top 5 left tackle if it’s parsons I need top 3 off ball lb cause the off ball lb level isn’t very deep in true difference makers. If it’s a wr I need top 5 to 8 worst case and I’d lean more towards top 5

Knowing that I’d want this to be arrowing there at least by end of year 2
I'm tending to agree with you there, honestly, I still question if Smith is the best receiver coming out of the draft. I'm all in it for trying to trade down because I still think Chase may be the better receiver, but I would be happy with either one just not feeling it at 3.

Big time college receivers don't end up with big success in the nfl, and that is what history has taught us. Some of the best receivers in the NFL right now weren't pick in the 1st round. This team already had one Ted Ginn Family, we don't need a smith family.

Big time college receivers don't end up with big success in the nfl, and that is what history has taught us. Some of the best receivers in the NFL right now weren't pick in the 1st round. This team already had one Ted Ginn Family, we don't need a smith family.
Comments like this make me realize not everyone has watched Smith play...or maybe you don't remember Ginn in college cause he sure as heck wasn't a polished route runner. He was more likely to run out of bounds than run a route towards the middle of the field. Ginn had no business being a 1st round pick, let alone a top 10 pick IMO.

Comments like this make me realize not everyone has watched Smith play...or maybe you don't remember Ginn in college cause he sure as heck wasn't a polished route runner. He was more likely to run out of bounds than run a route towards the middle of the field. Ginn had no business being a 1st round pick, let alone a top 10 pick IMO.

It isn't a matter of who has who hasn't. Drafting a receiver with a high pick has historically not worked out for many teams. If we want to talk about statistics, only 8 receivers out of 77 qualified as 1st team all pro's. And 2 of them were as punt returners. If I'm not mistaken Ted Ginn Jr. is one of them. Or maybe he qualified as 2nd team lol. So are we both understanding each other? You can tell me how great anyone is in college, but it doesn't translate well into the pro's specially with high level prospects. Is there anything else I can help you with my Padawan apprentice?

You are correct, the next question is have people seen Jamar Chase play. I know he sat out this year but with two guys that are as polished as both of these young men, I don't see how we lose taking either one. I think we're in perfect position to trade down and get an elite offensive weapon.

Smith is no Metcalf. I see Hilton as a best case scenario. Top 5 deep threat but while he is good after the catch if we put him through a lot of contact he won't last 9 yrs. Not sturdy enough.

You would need other guys doing that type of job.

Honestly I struggle to see #3 value out of the type of guy Smith is no matter how good.

If anybody wants him before us or on a trade down, they can have him. I'll just take Chase/Waddle.

Last edited:
Smith is no Metcalf. I see Hilton as a best case scenario. Top 5 deep threat but while he is good after the catch if we put him through a lot of contact he won't last 9 yrs. Not sturdy enough.

Honestly I struggle to see #3 value out of the type of guy Smith is no matter how good.

If anybody wants him before us or on a trade down, they can have him. I'll just take Chase/Waddle.
smith is getting it done against the best corners in college football week in week out

you watch him play it's clear he knows how to get down safely when he's in the middle of the field...he naturally plays away from contact

i don't think the injury concern with him is as big as people assume when they see his frame...

i love smith's versatility...he's fluid when busting out horizontal and can stride by you deep, his length and hands allow him to make plays on the sidelines and endzone even when he's covered...he's a true, elite #1 wr and i don't know why anyone would be upset if we took him at 3

on top of everything he's bama like tua and i think that sort of stuff makes an impact even if only by a bit....

Hoops.... My problem is.... You don’t draft an elite LT then move him to RT. His skills at LT from what I’ve seen are elite. Generational? Maybe. If you’re gonna play him on the right side.....In my book at least....Don’t draft him. Go get a RT later in the draft.

I haven’t done my home work on Parsons yet. But if I’m drafting him at 3....He had better be the best LBer in college. You know more about him than I do....So what’s your opinion? Is he a game changer on D?

I agree with you that you don’t put guys in top 5 picks especially in less than ideal ask. And that’s why I don’t see Miami truly in the Sewell pick market.

I think they ride with and bank on development from their two top 40 picks last year jackson and Hunt

as for parsons and game changer you tell me?

He'd have to run a 4.2 and add 10 pounds to go at 2 IMO. So no, I don't think he will.

He got dinged pretty good and had to leave the game with a hand injury. And that hit was moderate compared to NFL collisions.....players of his size injury will always be a concern.
Though on the other hand there is the Devante Parker argument, lol

Smith is a nice player but I'm not picking him 2 or 3 overall.

Not with comparable talent on the board.

I understand he is light in the pants but intodays game where do 80-90% WR injuries come from? Hamstrings, ankle injures and ACLs. These arent injuries from being small. Almost all are non-contact.Its not like most WRs are on the IR with broken legs from massive collisions. Parker, AJ Green, Julio are all big receivers that have had their fair share of injuries.

Look at grant on our own team. Dude is 165 pounds and has stayed off the injury list a lot more than the 6'5 220 pound Preston Williams. He hasnt gotten hurt in the SEC to my knowledge so why do we think hes gonna be some huge injury concern in the NFL?

Case in point with Tua and Burrow. Everyone thought Tua would get killed in the NFL and burrow was not injury prone. Injuries are hard to predict. Nearly impossible.

I just know dude knows how to get open and flat catch a football.

you do understand waddle is 5 foot 10 and 182 lbs right? And probably ear marked for the slot and some backfield ask etc maybe occasional boundary Id say. Really like his twitch but don’t love his size or what I see as likely being the pro usage as a top 10 value

It isn't a matter of who has who hasn't. Drafting a receiver with a high pick has historically not worked out for many teams. If we want to talk about statistics, only 8 receivers out of 77 qualified as 1st team all pro's. And 2 of them were as punt returners. If I'm not mistaken Ted Ginn Jr. is one of them. Or maybe he qualified as 2nd team lol. So are we both understanding each other? You can tell me how great anyone is in college, but it doesn't translate well into the pro's specially with high level prospects. Is there anything else I can help you with my Padawan apprentice?
I learned absolutely nothing from this post...but thanks for playing.

Back
Top Bottom