Could Dolphins Make One Side Dominant in Offseason? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could Dolphins Make One Side Dominant in Offseason?

View attachment 33617

There is no "knock" on Herbert by anyone that doesn't pray at the altar of Tua. He's not too careful with the ball? He has . 30 TDs and 5 INTs on the year...and two of them came last game.

I don't understand this thread. It's like no one watched Herbert's last outing on Saturday, he threw 2 picks which were awful picks but in all honesty it could easily have been 5 or more. This was against a Pac 12 defense, I could only imagine how he would look if he played in the SEC. I have liked Herbert as by #3 guy for most of the last two years really, but honestly the tape he put down on Saturday is something that is very hard to dismiss. It's not like he hasn't shown these kind of mistakes in other games (I've watched a lot of him), it's been there but not as obvious because it's been interspersed with some OMG type throws.

That's Herbert though, he's a project, he's got a arm from the gods, he can throw the perfect ball but you need to coach out a bunch of warts in his game, the owner and fans won't have the patience to live with his growing pains in my view, it'll be at least 2 years with GREAT coaching that he's ready. If he drops, which he won't, to the 2nd, you take a flyer but honestly in our position he's not worth a 1st round pick.

Hurts is very, very intriguing. Off his film, I really like what he can do. Obviously, he's a tremendous athlete who can make plays with his feet and buy extra time. I really want that type of player in Miami.

Reading his scouting reports is discouraging, though. I don't know how much of that is true, but it sounds like the offense for him is simplified to a one read and run. Kind of the way Jim Harbaugh used Colin Kaepernick in SF. I don't know if reading defenses is teachable, or if you can get a lot better at that. That was something that was debated here with Ryan Tannehill as well. He was a split second slow to recognize things and that makes a huge difference in the NFL. Then again, he sure looks great in Tennessee?

Hurts is going to get a lot of attention now, with the success of Jackson at the Ravens, along with his own Heisman candidate stats he's put up. But he's not Larmar Jackson Mk 2, people who think he is could be disappointed. That doesn't mean he won't make it in the league, but like Jackson he will need a team to build an offense around his skill set. The issue I have is that Hurts unlike other elusive dual threat QB's Like Murray and Jackson, isn't afraid of contact, sometimes it appears he actually seeks it out. Because he is a big guy, he can run over a lot of college players, can he have the same impact with the grown men in the NFL. The games I have watched him this year, he's wanted to run first a little too much IMO, he's bailed on the pass way too quickly, maybe that's by design, or I've just watched the wrong games, he was very much run first against TCU on Saturday, and scattergun with his passing.

He's probably my #3 QB right now, 2nd or 3rd rounder and I pull the trigger but with the obvious drop in quality at the top of this QB class and the fact that the likes of Jackson and Murray are lighting things up in the NFL, Hurts may well be drafted in the first, hell it wouldn't surprise me if someone took a chance in the top 10 at him, which prior to this season would have been unthinkable.

I don't understand this thread. It's like no one watched Herbert's last outing on Saturday, he threw 2 picks which were awful picks but in all honesty it could easily have been 5 or more. This was against a Pac 12 defense, I could only imagine how he would look if he played in the SEC.

Imagine no longer...

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 1.32.25 PM.png

Herbert is not going to make an offense dominant.

Defense most likely chance to become dominant if resources go to that side of the ball.

Didn’t watch it so can’t confirm. But box score looks like Coach had a good gameplan and Herbert couldn’t close.
Never mind that Oregon allowed a freshman to beat their defense in the 4th quarter.

People remind me all the time that QBs don't play defense...until the QB playing defense helped their position.

I am more than aware of the game early season against an average (by SEC Standards) Auburn team. I didn't watch them game but all reports I have heard is that Herbert improved from that showing as he wasn't that great. I've watched him enough to know he would struggle if he faced SEC defenses each week, like the Burrow's, Tua's and Fromm's do. Got to remember too that unlike these guys Herbert is a 4 year senior starter, despite that experience, he still has a frightening number of warts.

I don’t need us to be dominate, I’d settle for competent at every position. There are spots where the guy starting has no business being in the nfl and should be selling car insurance. That’s what kills us. We’ve had above average talent but we’ve also had holes in places so bad that it wrecks the game. Remember Columbo? The ridiculously bad LB Corp? No starting caliber guys at either guard postion?

In short, they need to find value in the middle rounds to plug those massive leaks so you can unleash the talent we actually have. Might be harder now with no QB, no RB barely average WRS and even more holes to fill on the line via trade and refusal to draft guards.

If they **** this next draft up, I’ll be done wasting my time with this garbage organization, I’ll buy Sunday ticket and watch titans games for wake and tannehill.

I am more than aware of the game early season against an average (by SEC Standards) Auburn team. I didn't watch them game but all reports I have heard is that Herbert improved from that showing as he wasn't that great. I've watched him enough to know he would struggle if he faced SEC defenses each week, like the Burrow's, Tua's and Fromm's do. Got to remember too that unlike these guys Herbert is a 4 year senior starter, despite that experience, he still has a frightening number of warts.

Average Auburn team huh?

They played four top 15 teams, is ranked in the top 20 nationally and in total defense...and Herbert played very well against them. If Herbert was on LSU or Georgia, who can say what will happen. What I do know happened is that Herbert handled the Auburn pass rush very well.

Stop with the SEC bias. They have 5 teams in the top 20 while the Big 10 has 6 teams. I guess Herbert would have trouble against the Big 10 as well?

He doesn't have a "frightening amount" of warts. You can parrot all the catchphrases quoted by Tua supporters, but that doesn't explain how he was mentioned as being the probable 1st player drafted, until Murray emerged, and how he was top 5 in some publications this season, even with the emergence of Burrow, who will somehow be the gold standard since the rickety rocket's career is in the balance.

Also, we never know who will he elite in a draft.

Herbert may be that guy, but his 4 year body of work isn't what I like in a 4 year starter. His stats are great, but his snap by snap consistency is completely off.

Average Auburn team huh?

They played four top 15 teams, is ranked in the top 20 nationally and in total defense...and Herbert played very well against them. If Herbert was on LSU or Georgia, who can say what will happen. What I do know happened is that Herbert handled the Auburn pass rush very well.

Stop with the SEC bias. They have 5 teams in the top 20 while the Big 10 has 6 teams. I guess Herbert would have trouble against the Big 10 as well?

He doesn't have a "frightening amount" of warts. You can parrot all the catchphrases quoted by Tua supporters, but that doesn't explain how he was mentioned as being the probable 1st player drafted, until Murray emerged, and how he was top 5 in some publications this season, even with the emergence of Burrow, who will somehow be the gold standard since the rickety rocket's career is in the balance.

OMG..
The reason he is touted so highly is because he has outstanding and I truly mean outstanding physical attributes, throws the best ball you will see anywhere in college including the likes of of Burrow, Love, Froom or Tua. This kid will wow you with throws, he'll wow you with measurables. He's also a 4.00 GPA student of very high character and a thoroughly nice kid. The reason he not the overwhelming #1 prospect is because he has frequently exhibited maddening inconsistency and for a smart kid continually makes WTF decisions. I still think he goes in the top 10 because he will measure so well during the draft process and there will be an egocentric QB whisperer out there that think they can fix his warts. They might be able to, but they better be a great whisperer not an Adam Gase or whoever and don't expect overnight results.

I've watched pretty much every game he's played this season, the exception being the Auburn one and a couple of other early season affairs. Plus most of his 2018 outings, so don't talk to me about "parroting what others think", I've seen it with my own eyes.

And I said Auburn were average form an SEC perspective, which they are, I watched them close up against my Gators and Georgia and I know they aren't at the level some other D's in the SEC are, not sure why you bring in the Big !0 because that has little to do with this. Herbert has been facing pac 12 defenses his entire career, whom most sane folks will admit is hardly the pinnacle of college defenses on the whole.

What's their record again? I know the boy don't play D... He didn't win the game though. He might could have put it away earlier though.

Record is 9-2...he did as much as he did. Sometimes the other QB makes plays as well.

OMG..
The reason he is touted so highly is because he has outstanding and I truly mean outstanding physical attributes, throws the best ball you will see anywhere in college including the likes of of Burrow, Love, Froom or Tua. This kid will wow you with throws, he'll wow you with measurables. He's also a 4.00 GPA student of very high character and a thoroughly nice kid. The reason he not the overwhelming #1 prospect is because he has frequently exhibited maddening inconsistency and for a smart kid continually makes WTF decisions. I still think he goes in the top 10 because he will measure so well during the draft process and there will be an egocentric QB whisperer out there that think they can fix his warts. They might be able to, but they better be a great whisperer not an Adam Gase or whoever and don't expect overnight results.

Just absolutely phenomenal natural talent. He's Josh Rosen's throwing ability at UCLA meshed with the frame and running ability of Josh Allen leaving Wyoming -- the best of both worlds from a physical talent perspective. He's pretty sharp, too -- he does a really nice job of processing coverage rotation, understanding leverage in post-snap reads and feeling pressure around him within the pocket. I'm totally sold on his upside as an NFL passer -- he has all of the tools to be a next level pro quarterback. Herbert does well to keep his eyes downfield within the pocket when he's forced off of his spot and he does well to extend plays with his legs. He falls back onto his arm ability when he's off his spot -- which is totally fine because the ball explodes off of his hand and he's athletic enough to throw with *general* accuracy on the move.

-Josh Crabbs

"Really impressed with @oregonfootball tonight...Herbert is a special player...They have a real shot to shake up the playoff discussion" - @JoelKlatt

"If there is such a thing as a West Coast Heisman...Justin Herbert." - @DennisDoddCBS

"Anyone not impressed with Justin Herbert last night needs to have their head checked." -
@RivalsMike

I've watched pretty much every game he's played this season, the exception being the Auburn one and a couple of other early season affairs. Plus most of his 2018 outings, so don't talk to me about "parroting what others think", I've seen it with my own eyes.

You are a parroting what others think. I don't care how much of a tizzy it gets you. Unless you work for a draft service, you are nothing more than a poster with an opinion, and even they have shown to have an unusual bias toward the SEC...as if they are the only conference with talent.

30 TD's and 5 INTs on 69% completion and able to walk/run in the combine is a far cry better than 33 TDs...3 INTs...71.4% and might not be able to walk without a limp for the rest of his life.

And I said Auburn were average form an SEC perspective, which they are, I watched them close up against my Gators and Georgia and I know they aren't at the level some other D's in the SEC are, not sure why you bring in the Big !0 because that has little to do with this. Herbert has been facing pac 12 defenses his entire career, whom most sane folks will admit is hardly the pinnacle of college defenses on the whole.

Auburn is ranked 14th nationally in total defense. This is out of 130 D-1 teams. This means that Oregon/Herbert played an away game against a defense in the top 11% of the nation...and you try to minimize this achievement.

You must be a Tua guy...

I'm done going back and forth with you on the topic.

Back
Top Bottom