Could Dolphins Make One Side Dominant in Offseason? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could Dolphins Make One Side Dominant in Offseason?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
I know hearing the word dominant can cause a few snickers around here, or worse yet images of the New England Patriots. But with cash to spend and draft picks galore, can the Miami Dolphins get there in one offseason, at least on one side of the ball? I'm a defensive first guy, but I think the most work needs to be done on the offensive side, especially when you consider Miami most likely has a new quarterback in 2020. And, most likely, a high draft pick at the position.

So, for the sake of discussion here are some thoughts on how to get in done on offense with the concentration of draft picks and free agent dollars going there.

Free agency --- big three adds --- Brandon Scherff, OG/OT, Derrick Henry RB, Joe Thuney, OG.

Draft (first two rounds)
1. Justin Herbert, QB
1. Henry Ruggs III, Wr
1. Creed Humphrey, C
2. Travis Etienne, RB
2. Trey Adams, OT

Offensive line: Adams, LT, Deiter, LG, Humphrey C, Thuney OG, Scherff, RT (Davis, Calhoun, Boehm, Prince top backups)
Quarterbacks: Herbert, Fitzpatrick, Rosen
Running Backs: Henry, Etienne, Laird, Cox, Gaskins
Wide Receivers: Parker, Williams, Ruggs, Grant, Hurd
Tight Ends: Gesicki, Smythe, Walford

Thoughts, other ideas. Would welcome discussion on defense as well.

There's no way, in my not-so-humble opinion, that Miami makes even one side of the team dominant in one season. Perhaps they could make the ST dominant, because that takes athletes, rather than players.

I know hearing the word dominant can cause a few snickers around here, or worse yet images of the New England Patriots. But with cash to spend and draft picks galore, can the Miami Dolphins get there in one offseason, at least on one side of the ball? I'm a defensive first guy, but I think the most work needs to be done on the offensive side, especially when you consider Miami most likely has a new quarterback in 2020. And, most likely, a high draft pick at the position.

So, for the sake of discussion here are some thoughts on how to get in done on offense with the concentration of draft picks and free agent dollars going there.

Free agency --- big three adds --- Brandon Scherff, OG/OT, Derrick Henry RB, Joe Thuney, OG.

Draft (first two rounds)
1. Justin Herbert, QB
1. Henry Ruggs III, Wr
1. Creed Humphrey, C
2. Travis Etienne, RB
2. Trey Adams, OT

Offensive line: Adams, LT, Deiter, LG, Humphrey C, Thuney OG, Scherff, RT (Davis, Calhoun, Boehm, Prince top backups)
Quarterbacks: Herbert, Fitzpatrick, Rosen
Running Backs: Henry, Etienne, Laird, Cox, Gaskins
Wide Receivers: Parker, Williams, Ruggs, Grant, Hurd
Tight Ends: Gesicki, Smythe, Walford

Thoughts, other ideas. Would welcome discussion on defense as well.
I'd lay odds that Washington franchises Scherff. Conklin is a good second choice if we can get a RG worth his salt next to him.

Creed I liked him a lot. Then I saw him getting MANHANDLED 1v1 with the NT on Baylor. Biadasz for me. Snatch up the RB from Bama of he can last to the 3rd round.

I'm not a Deiter fan...especially if Kindley from GA is there in the 2nd.

Biadasz, Kindley, Conklin is a good base for a physical oline.

Anything is possible. Miami still have round 3-7 to find some defense.

I'd lay odds that Washington franchises Scherff. Conklin is a good second choice if we can get a RG worth his salt next to him.

Creed I liked him a lot. Then I saw him getting MANHANDLED 1v1 with the NT on Baylor. Biadasz for me. Snatch up the RB from Bama of he can last to the 3rd round.

I'm not a Deiter fan...especially if Kindley from GA is there in the 2nd.

Biadasz, Kindley, Conklin is a good base for a physical oline.
Apollo Creed is a chump and a jive turkey.

I also agree with getting the best player available. If we were to address one side of our team I think it would be the defense. Our coach is a defensive guy, who probably would want to develop his defense first.

Drafting receivers and runningbacks high is a waste IMO. We got Preston undrafted.

Boehm is a legit starter. If its not Burrow with our first pick, trade back.

Thomas and Biadasz in the first? Whoaaa

I like the idea of finding an identity.

But
No to Herbert. He’s not the prospect some think he is.

No to Ruggs. Least important position in football.

So no.
Herbert would have been the 2nd qb taken last year in the draft....I'm not sure why he's fallen from graces, but it is probably because of the PAC10 curse: no one stays awake for his games on the east coast. Same reason why most PAC10 players are underrated.

Drafting receivers and runningbacks high is a waste IMO. We got Preston undrafted.

I DO NOT want to use a first round pick on a RB. I don’t believe in doing that. We could find value there in the third round.
Has Peterson, Ricky or Ezekiel ever won a SB for their team? We drafted Ronnie Brown second and won nothing

Dude, are you new here, or do you not pay attention? The only reason we got Williams undrafted was because of off the field issues. It's not like Miami has a history of finding diamonds in the rough.

Back
Top Bottom