Could Dolphins Make One Side Dominant in Offseason? | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could Dolphins Make One Side Dominant in Offseason?

Draft Chase Young, steal Yannick Ngakoue from the Jags in free agency, add another run stuffing dt, get Howard healthy, bring back Talib in 20220 and the draft Surtain Jr in 2021 to replace Talib. Keep getting growth from Wilkins, Godchaux, Baker, McMillian, Biegle and Charlton. You would have the makings of a pretty good defense.
I like the thought process.

One comment though, Talib isn't under contract, and who knows what it takes to sign him.

That trade was basically buying a draft pick, with no cap implications going forward. I'm not sure they intended that he ever play a down in a Dolphin uniform.

WRs are irrelevant when evaluating QBs.

Last thing I look at are the easy TDs. That’s why I wasn’t too impressed by Tua as a generational talent. However he was a talented prospect based on his ability. Certainly nothing to tank a whole season for though.

His accuracy and intangibles would show up even if he played at Rutgers.

It’s easier to evaluate a QB who doesn’t have talented players around him.

When I evaluate a qb it stops after the ball touches the hands of the receiver..

Whether a receiver is fast or slow the Qb has to measure his talent to coincide with where he is going to place the ball relative to his receivers abilities.jmo.

The best teams build through the draft. SF is winning w/ a lot of FA players but they are the exception not the rule.

The best teams build through the draft. SF is winning w/ a lot of FA players but they are the exception not the rule.
Interesting model. One of the few teams at the top that didn't draft their quarterback of the future. Have spent four number one picks on the defensive line, which is paying huge dividends.

Miami could do something like that. Sign Bridgewater, draft Young, maybe sign Armstead. Look for a developmental quarterback like Love without using the first #1 pick.

Interesting model. One of the few teams at the top that didn't draft their quarterback of the future. Have spent four number one picks on the defensive line, which is paying huge dividends.

Miami could do something like that. Sign Bridgewater, draft Young, maybe sign Armstead. Look for a developmental quarterback like Love without using the first #1 pick.
They could do something like that, but it seems to me you are playing the "window" game with that approach. You still have to draft wisely to replace players that leave for big contracts. If you continually live on the edge of the salary cap because of high dollar free agents, there's no flexibility to resign the young talent.

It's a fine line to walk.

In the end, drafting your core, and getting high level play on rookie deals, is the recipe for long term success.

That's not to say FAs arent important, but deals like Suh got here are usually a bad idea in the long run.

I will take all those years of making playoffs and winning afc titles and division titles as opposed to what we had with tannehill the scrub.

People say that because of what they're used to in recent years, but if Tannehill won the division 5 times in 16 seasons and had a career playoff record of 8-10 like Marino people would still complain and say Tannehill wasn't good enough. Remember in the Marino era Miami finished behind Buffalo in the division race more times than they finished in first place. It wasn't on Marino, but Miami wasn't the cream of the division during the Marino era the Bills were. From 1983-1999 Bills won the division 6 times, Dolphhins 5 times, Patriots 3 times, Colts twice and Jets only once.

Last edited:
It's pretty clear that having a star QB isn't enough. Indeed, this should be clearer to Dolphins fans than anyone. We had the best of all time, and couldn't get it done.

You HAVE to have a defense too. Actually... that is probably not true either, some teams have won Super Bowls with a killer defense and an average QB.

Defense wins championships.
QBs are extremely important yes... but given the choice of an elite defense or an elite offense... ask Dan which one wins championships.

It's pretty clear that having a star QB isn't enough. Indeed, this should be clearer to Dolphins fans than anyone. We had the best of all time, and couldn't get it done.

You HAVE to have a defense too. Actually... that is probably not true either, some teams have won Super Bowls with a killer defense and an average QB.

Defense wins championships.
QBs are extremely important yes... but given the choice of an elite defense or an elite offense... ask Dan which one wins championships.

Coaching can win a SB too. Belichek plays a 6-1 even front def and holds the Rams to 3 point in SB.

They could do something like that, but it seems to me you are playing the "window" game with that approach. You still have to draft wisely to replace players that leave for big contracts. If you continually live on the edge of the salary cap because of high dollar free agents, there's no flexibility to resign the young talent.

It's a fine line to walk.

In the end, drafting your core, and getting high level play on rookie deals, is the recipe for long term success.

That's not to say FAs arent important, but deals like Suh got here are usually a bad idea in the long run.
I do think Miami is in unique free agent position. One that they likely, and hopefully, won't be in again.

Because of the dreadful talent on this team, the Dolphins could front load contracts and not have any negative affect 3-4 years down the road when they actually may have some young talent to pay.

Because of that, I think now is the time to get some good talent in free agency.

I do agree with your premise, though. You don't see the good teams using free agency for much more than depth.

Ruggs is nice, but I'd rather pour the cement and get a rock anywhere on the defensive or offensive line. This team is going nowhere without a franchise QB. Not going anywhere without tough, physical lines either.

Oh, and hell no to Herbert.

We've spent 3 first rounders on our defensive line. Dion Jordan, Charles Harris, and Christian Wilkins.

Back
Top Bottom