Could Fins go heavy on D early? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could Fins go heavy on D early?

@Mach2

I apologize for my aggressive replies. I believe my initial reply is the culprit for igniting this.
Me personally, I love the RB position. I agree that in today's league it is certainly devalued.
No apology necessary my friend.

For literally decades the RB position was seen as a premier posirion, both in terms of importance, and draft value.

As offensive philosophy has evolved, the role of RBs has changed, and their percieved "value" has diminished.

The fullback position is almost extinct (as well as other reasons), so "hat on hat" power running as the overwhelming focus is no longer a viable long term strategy.

Parsons off ball zaven Collins hybrid

Outside of that pass the first 2 days of the draft

miamis scheme in 2020 featured a Mike a weak and a hybrid skillset. There was no strong side off ball lb ask in this scheme. That basically fell on the hybrid. And kvn was poor at the point of attack with it. And the Mike couldn’t meet the ball at or outside the tackle box. Hell the only thing the Mike could do was guess/shoot/fill a gap and thump if the ball was there in that gap.

miamis scheme in 2020 featured a Mike a weak and a hybrid skillset. There was no strong side off ball lb ask in this scheme. That basically fell on the hybrid. And kvn was poor at the point of attack with it. And the Mike couldn’t meet the ball at or outside the tackle box. Hell the only thing the Mike could do was guess/shoot/fill a gap and thump if the ball was there in that gap.
Agree with every bit of that.

KVN was atrocious in that aspect. He was assignment sound, but usually a half step late. Even when he was on time, he wasn't holding position.

As far as Mike play, Roberts has such limited range, everyone else had to make up for the deficiency.

I love the scheme, but it takes certain types of players at some spots to make it work. It also takes a near immovable interior line.

What about Jamin Davis?

What do you think as far as fit? Could he play the Van Noy role, or strictly middle linebacker?
I could see him play Outside LB in a 3-4 but he's probably a better fit in the middle..only 11 career starts at Kentucky and only 2.5 sacks..but dude runs in the low 4.4's and has some pop and good coverage skills..once returned at pick more than 80 yards for a TD..he'e a talented, talented dude. I think he could cover the TE's in the slot and hold his own..elite athleticism and a 42 inch vetical and 11 foot broad jump to go with that low 4.4 speed..if he figures it out it wouldn't be out of the question for him to sack the QB quite a bit..a real 3-down LB..although only 1.5 sacks last season..but averaged over 10 tackles Per Game.

I think he's special, man.

I could see him play Outside LB in a 3-4 but he's probably a better fit in the middle..only 11 career starts at Kentucky and only 2.5 sacks..but dude runs in the low 4.4's and has some pop and good coverage skills..once returned at pick more than 80 yards for a TD..he'e a talented, talented dude. I think he could cover the TE's in the slot and hold his own..elite athleticism and a 42 inch vetical and 11 foot broad jump to go with that low 4.4 speed..if he figures it out it wouldn't be out of the question for him to sack the QB quite a bit..a real 3-down LB..although only 1.5 sacks last season..but averaged over 10 tackles Per Game.

I think he's special, man.
I agree. Don't know if he's on Miami's radar, but wow. Could be the second true linebacker off the board after Parsons.

I agree. Don't know if he's on Miami's radar, but wow. Could be the second true linebacker off the board after Parsons.
I think he will be the second true Linebacker taken...no doubt IN MY MIND..but he could be the first, possibly..if Parsons falls enough due to off field issues and that shoe 'hazing' deal as an 18 year old...

I think he will be the second true Linebacker taken...no doubt IN MY MIND..but he could be the first, possibly..if Parsons falls enough due to off field issues and that shoe 'hazing' deal as an 18 year old...
He's right up there with the most explosive defensive players in the draft. Guys like Parsons, JOK, Oweh, Paye, Holland etc.

I asked about fit because as a player he might be better than Collins. Collins might be the better fit, though.

Going D with one of the picks in round 1 isn't as far fetched as it would seem. It all depends on how the draft goes, if Parson's is sitting there and Miami is on the clock, I wouldn't be upset if they took him in round 1.

Back
Top Bottom