Could Fins go heavy on D early? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could Fins go heavy on D early?

This draft is loaded with offense and we need to take advantage of it. Sure they could go heavy on defense but that'd be a mistake. I don't care how good you try to make your defense. if you can't score enough these days then you won't win many big games. We really lack playmakers on offense and we have a great chance to add some of those. Of course I'd like a big time pass rusher but this draft is not loaded with those. Corner might be the best position of this draft when it comes to defense but that's one position where we have a lot invested on. Edge at 18 would be most likely reaching or gambling on potential rather than production for the most part.

Hope not unless it’s an edge rusher. And we don’t need a RB in the 2nd round. they are a dime a dozen and value can be had in the third

This draft is loaded with offense and we need to take advantage of it. Sure they could go heavy on defense but that'd be a mistake. I don't care how good you try to make your defense. if you can't score enough these days then you won't win many big games. We really lack playmakers on offense and we have a great chance to add some of those. Of course I'd like a big time pass rusher but this draft is not loaded with those. Corner might be the best position of this draft when it comes to defense but that's one position where we have a lot invested on. Edge at 18 would be most likely reaching or gambling on potential rather than production for the most part.
This! I dont know why people on this site find this too hard to comprehend

This! I dont know why people on this site find this too hard to comprehend
We have a defensive minded coach/staff who “reached”, so to speak, for Igbinoghene in the 1st and Davis in the 2nd last year. They took Wilkins in the 1st in 2019. If we make no more trades, history suggests that at least 1 or possibly 2 of our top 4 picks could be defense. It all depends on who is available when we pick.

Its gonna be a mix. We are going WR then edge then center then edge then another WR and then a RB and then linebacker, safety and double up an RB.

They're gonna surprise a lot of people by going for speed WRs and bully RBs...But if he's there they're going for Pitts - Pitts plus speed plus bully backs means we are going to try to beat the ever living hell out of our opponents and we are going to be quite successful at doing it....

You are right about picking all those positions in that order being a big surprise to me.

I don't know what the FO is thinking, but I would expect some kind of mix between the offensive line, offensive ball handlers and any position on the defense.

We have a defensive minded coach/staff who “reached”, so to speak, for Igbinoghene in the 1st and Davis in the 2nd last year. They took Wilkins in the 1st in 2019. If we make no more trades, history suggests that at least 1 or possibly 2 of our top 4 picks could be defense. It all depends on who is available when we pick.
well going defense with one of the top 4 picks is not something I'd consider going heavy on defense. I don't expect us to draft 8 players on offense and none on defense. But I do expect 3 of the top 4 picks to be used on offense.

I really think they're grabbing an offensive weapon @ 6. I could totally see defense @ 18 & 36 though. Could see them trying to find value with 3rd & 5th round picks on OL & RB.
This is the exact model that I've been using.

The ONLY defensive player that I could see them selecting at 6 would probably be Parsons, and I just think that's a little rich for him. Like everyone else, I think the first pick will be Pitts, Chase, or Smith, but then the defense will come on.

I disagree that this is a weak edge crop... this is a talented edge crop that COVID impacted in a big way, and it is a crop without a top 5 guy, but after that, there are quite a few edge-setters and a few blitzing linebacker types of note... and that's what we need.

Many FH posters have pointed out that the 'Patriot Way' has never been much for obtaining (and keeping) top-flight edge rushers, preferring instead, to take really solid edge-setters who collapse pockets and force the running game inside... and that's exactly the type of players who are involved in this draft. I think a lot of people want a Bosa, see that there aren't any of those and consign this crop to oblivion, all the while failing to notice that this isn't what Flores looks for.

I'll be shocked... shocked if we don't draft an edge by pick 2a.

1 of the Top 4 picks can go to D. That's fine, but to suggest even a 50/50 split as a good outcome ignores the strength of the class, and it ignores the reality of how you win at a high level. All the teams that made it deep into the playoffs had excellent offensive weapons and capable OL's - until KC suffered an insane amount of injuries. They also had QB's who were at least really good, most of the great.

If you can't match up with that, your defense literally doesn't matter. It starts mattering when you can. Miami can't. It can smartly upgrade the D as it goes, but the focus really needs to be on offense.

On any given day, anything can happen. Its possible Miami could go heavy defense, but unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom