Could Fins go heavy on D early? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could Fins go heavy on D early?

1 of the Top 4 picks can go to D. That's fine, but to suggest even a 50/50 split as a good outcome ignores the strength of the class, and it ignores the reality of how you win at a high level. All the teams that made it deep into the playoffs had excellent offensive weapons and capable OL's - until KC suffered an insane amount of injuries. They also had QB's who were at least really good, most of the great.

If you can't match up with that, your defense literally doesn't matter. It starts mattering when you can. Miami can't. It can smartly upgrade the D as it goes, but the focus really needs to be on offense.
That makes complete sense. But does it look like that's what Miami is about to do? Fuller just got signed to a prove-it, Parker, Grant and Wilson are still here (not to mention the 10 other guys), we extended Shaheen (I'll ignore the kid Carter we signed), we have a 2020 first round left tackle, a 2020 second round right tackle a 2020 third round RG and we just signed a center on another prove-it. We picked up a short-yardage power back and still have Gaskin and Ahmed plus the others.

I'm not saying we're in good shape by any means. I'm not saying we won't pick up some offensive weapons like WR, RB and OC. I just don't think the moves reflect a draft that's going to be all O, or even exclusively O at the top.

I don't think Flo likes our safety room , we have Nik Needham on the field like 30% of the time (tho Coleman may sort that out), we cleared out our edge options to a degree. We tried to sign another DT but didn't get it done.

The tealeaves tell the storey of a draft with a fair slice of D in it.

I could understand if we go defense; however, I would like to see us surround Tua with some serious talent (Pitts, WR, RB, and OL). If he is really the future of our franchise, we need to give him as much help as possible to make a proper evaluation. WRs that can't get separation and a porous OL isn't the way to give a guy a fighting chance, in my opinion. I know some believe our defense was subpar last year. I view things differently. I don't have the stats, but I seem to remember they kept us in games while our offense floundered. I want to see us even things up a bit and get guys on our offense to get chunk plays or help us move the sticks to sustain long drives. I don't want to ignore the defense in the draft totally. I just think our return on investment with the offensive players will be better early on in this draft.

Last edited:
That makes complete sense. But does it look like that's what Miami is about to do? Fuller just got signed to a prove-it, Parker, Grant and Wilson are still here (not to mention the 10 other guys), we extended Shaheen (I'll ignore the kid Carter we signed), we have a 2020 first round left tackle, a 2020 second round right tackle a 2020 third round RG and we just signed a center on another prove-it. We picked up a short-yardage power back and still have Gaskin and Ahmed plus the others.

I'm not saying we're in good shape by any means. I'm not saying we won't pick up some offensive weapons like WR, RB and OC. I just don't think the moves reflect a draft that's going to be all O, or even exclusively O at the top.

I don't think Flo likes our safety room , we have Nik Needham on the field like 30% of the time, we cleared out our edge options to a degree. We tried to sign a run clogger but didn't get it done.

The tealeaves tell the storey of a draft with a fair slice of D in it.

I agree to a large extent. I'm talking about what they should do. Since Miami signed Flores I've been really happy with the way he's handled FA and trades. His drafts are still a mixed bag. He's done well in mostly sticking to expensive positions in the early rounds. His player analysis and positional prioritization have been a little frustrating, though. At 30, they passed on Tee Higgins, who is young and was already a star WR, for a talented but developmental CB - the most glaring example imo.

But, I hope Fuller doesn't impact Miami's draft strategy. People talk about TB vs KC showing that offensive weapons aren't as important as the lines, but TB had the much deeper skill group on offense. If KC didn't need OT so badly, you'd see a lot more mocks giving them WR at 31. Miami should want to field the most potent group of offensive weapons in the league. Outside of QB, it's the position where you shouldn't be satisfied until you're the best or at least in the range of the best.

Some pushback S and Edge:

Not a great Safety class imo, but J. Holland and E. Molden are fits and worth the pick at 50. Moehrig is S1, but I don't see Miami using 18 on him, and I think he goes before 36. He's worth the 18th pick, but there should be better options there.

This D prioritizes CB and then the middle (DT and Mike) over DE and OLB, so I think moving on from Van Noy and Lawson was more about them saying, We can about as good for cheaper. Van Ginkel is a good player and more physically talented than Van Noy - easily has more upside as a Pass Rusher. And, Lawson is good, but his level of production isn't that hard to find. You can probably get or beat it with an aging vet on a 1 or 2-year contract. You can also add a guy like Payton Turner to develop, and he's currently projected to be there at Miami's 3rd RD pick. My point is just that I don't think Edge is nearly as critical as many here seem to think. This D functions differently than most. It pays its CB's, because it's fine manufacturing pressure with blitzes and asking them to cover 1-on-1 most of the time.

That would be absurd. This years draft class is filled to the brim with amazing WR and O-Line talent. I wouldnt be surprised if 4 O-Lineman go round 1.

This draft is loaded with offense and we need to take advantage of it. Sure they could go heavy on defense but that'd be a mistake. I don't care how good you try to make your defense. if you can't score enough these days then you won't win many big games. We really lack playmakers on offense and we have a great chance to add some of those. Of course I'd like a big time pass rusher but this draft is not loaded with those. Corner might be the best position of this draft when it comes to defense but that's one position where we have a lot invested on. Edge at 18 would be most likely reaching or gambling on potential rather than production for the most part.
I agree with you, but the way X and Jones's contracts are structured I wouldn't be shocked if they took a CB early. I think the strength of the edge in this draft is rounds 2-4. There are also some vets out there that can be signed after the draft and they can focus on edge next year in the draft.

If I had to wager I’d bet that BPA at 18 will be CB and it probably won’t be close. So I would not throw a tantrum if a CB is picked. This year I prefer the top 4 picks be offense but I’m fully prepared for the scenario the OP has proposed.

Drafting defense with one of the top four picks if that's how draft plays out is not bad thing.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm thinking the Fins could surprise and go D with more of their high picks than we expect. What would you think of something like this?

6 - D. Smith
18 - Paye or Jaelan Phillips (Edge)
36 - Elijah Molden (S/CB)
50 - Jabril Cox or Baron Browning (LB)
81 - Gainwell, K. Hill, or T. Sermon
156 - OL depth like Aaron Banks (?)

The Fins may figure with a clean bill of health and a complete offseason from Tua, he should improve along with a young OL that started 3 rookies.

You'd have WR Fuller/Parker/DeVonta, TE Gesicki, and Gainwell (or other rookie) / Gaskin.

The D last year was solid overall, but it was very opportunistic and probably not as good as we thought. Buffalo pretty much exposed it twice last season and that's the team we need to beat. This kind of draft would improve both sides of the ball and give Miami a better shot of dealing with Buffalo I think.
I would take Sewell over Smith at six if both chase and Pitts are 4 and 5.
I also would not take Phillips at edge due to his injury history.

Its gonna be a mix. We are going WR then edge then center then edge then another WR and then a RB and then linebacker, safety and double up an RB.

They're gonna surprise a lot of people by going for speed WRs and bully RBs...But if he's there they're going for Pitts - Pitts plus speed plus bully backs means we are going to try to beat the ever living hell out of our opponents and we are going to be quite successful at doing it....
First paragraph is very interesting. I would double up on OL or DL or edge before RB tho.

Doubtful they go heavy defense early, considering the success of the team will hinder on how successful Tua is, but if a huge talent on defense presents himself when Miami picks, with nowhere as good an offensive player still there...We will jump on the defensive player.

One thing that I remain confused (or is it amused) by is when a poster says something to the effect of... This draft is so deep in WRs and OTs... and then they follow it up with... so we have to take them early.

I mean... whut?

If the draft is hip deep in both positions, and every tout says that it is, then that means that many talented prospects will fall lower than they usually do. This is cause... and effect. Some of the guys who would be selected in the first round, will now slide to the second, maybe even the third... and you want to run to the head of the line?

Huh?

Have you ever heard the word 'value' in your lives? Shopped a bargain? Bought a brand new item at the end of the season? Found a starter in the third round?

The reverse of what they are saying is the truth here. It's the positions that are NOT deep that you have to target early. Because if you miss out on one of the few better prospects, you'll be S.O.L.

I would doubt it as our D last year was pretty good, almost a championship caliber. It was clearly our offense holding us back, specifically OL (another year will help the rooks) and receiver/RB skill positions.

Back
Top Bottom