Could Fins go heavy on D early? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could Fins go heavy on D early?

A couple of comments...

1) The evaluators who selected Jordan and Harris are no longer making decisions with the Dolphins.
2) The idea that Jordan/Harris would cause future Defensive Ends to also bust is based upon fear of making another pick. I realize that you said that you should probably treat each cycle as a new and independent cycle, so I think you are already beginning to do this.
3) You mentioned that these busts set us back. So I have to point out that Yatil Green and Ted Ginn were two rather large WR busts for us. Does this mean that we shouldn't draft a receiver? Many people here at FH have said, "you keep drafting a QB until you get it right..." but won't make the same argument for the second most important position in the NFL-- pass rusher; I guess I don't understand that. Star pass rushers make a fortune and are unobtainable in free agency (Bosa makes 27M/year)

Lance Zierlein is THE guy at NFL.com. He has been rating players for the NFL arm for years. Because he works for the league's web presence, he is VERY well connected, and I'm not sure that there is a better one out there... but I used him, not because I think he is the best, but rather for comparison purposes, because in the long run... whether there are two... or eight worthy prospects in the first round is merely an opinion... a projection at best.

Many touts have said that this draft has quite a few Edge prospects of note... what it lacks is merely a top 5 guy. So, I guess that in the long run, I'm going to take a swing at what is the biggest hole on our team in my mind. I just don't see this team as being remotely competitive vs. the better teams until we can slow their QBs down... and right now, we can't. You saw Josh Allen just dismantle us late last year when we couldn't put any consistent pressure upon him.

It'll be fun seeing what we do... and then watching the slap fights and hair pulling here at FH over whatever direction that we took.
Well, I guess I have a lot to learn, but I appreciate the thoughts, anyway. As for hair pulling and slap fights, I don't plan on being a part of that. I have my favorites, but that doesn't mean I am right. I am excited about adding some new players to the team and am going to support them no matter who we take. Yes, even if it's Rousseau. :-)

Well, I guess I have a lot to learn, but I appreciate the thoughts, anyway. As for hair pulling and slap fights, I don't plan on being a part of that. I have my favorites, but that doesn't mean I am right. I am excited about adding some new players to the team and am going to support them no matter who we take. Yes, even if it's Rousseau. :-)
The girl-fighting stuff amuses me some days...

Today, we saw the fan gurls going at it in the Chase haters thread. Was pretty funny, but I try not to step in it as I don't want to get any of their crybaby on me.

All though I am a big fan of Pitts I could see team Flores going defense early easily...

#6 M.Parsons LB
#18 J.Phillips Edge
#36 E.Moore WR
#50 L.Dickerson C
#81 B.Christensen OT
#156 C.Hubbard RB

With Fuller, Parker, Bowden, Williams, Wilson and Hollins we can easily pass on WR early in the draft.

All though I am a big fan of Pitts I could see team Flores going defense early easily...

#6 M.Parsons LB
#18 J.Phillips Edge
#36 E.Moore WR
#50 L.Dickerson C
#81 B.Christensen OT
#156 C.Hubbard RB

With Fuller, Parker, Bowden, Williams, Wilson and Hollins we can easily pass on WR early in the draft.

I'm not sure I agree with your last sentence here, you fail to factor in injury records of these guys, bringing in Fuller does not give us an iron man. Williams's availability has been atrocious, Wilson too hasn't been able to suit up enough (and 2019 Wilson when he was fit was not very good). Hollins has stone hands and Bowden is just finding his way. Our need is paramount there.

But I agree with you general sentiment that Flores and Grier could very well go a different route and feel that they can take a WR in the mid rounds. If they do then moving back up to 6 was stupid in the extreme.

I'm not sure I agree with your last sentence here, you fail to factor in injury records of these guys, bringing in Fuller does not give us an iron man. Williams's availability has been atrocious, Wilson too hasn't been able to suit up enough (and 2019 Wilson when he was fit was not very good). Hollins has stone hands and Bowden is just finding his way. Our need is paramount there.

But I agree with you general sentiment that Flores and Grier could very well go a different route and feel that they can take a WR in the mid rounds. If they do then moving back up to 6 was stupid in the extreme.
I get it but there is talent in our WR group, I can see us drafting two WR's to compete and wouldn't be surprised if they are day 2 and beyond selections.

I believe because all we hear about with the #6 pick is Chase/Pitts/Smith/Waddle that it will actually be Parsons.

I get it but there is talent in our WR group, I can see us drafting two WR's to compete and wouldn't be surprised if they are day 2 and beyond selections.

I believe because all we hear about with the #6 pick is Chase/Pitts/Smith/Waddle that it will actually be Parsons.

Talent is useless if it's on the treatment table and not on the field, or in Parker's case hobbling around the field at half speed for most of the time.

I’m still in the mindset that if a guy like parsons falls to you, that you have to take him @18. Would even consider a move up. If we are able to turn #3 and say 50 into some combination of Pitts, smith, parsons, waddle, or chase I would feel like we won the draft. Especially when you add in the future considerations we received.

I know we traded 3, but I’m using our original capital to make the point that going into the draft if we got any of those 2 players based on the assets we started with, we would feel good.
Agreed. If Parsons is there at 18 he isn't getting past Flores.

If by "heavy on D early" you mean "two of our first five picks", then yes we certainly could go heavy on D early.
No, I was saying 3 of the first 5 picks. You get your WR at #6 and your RB and #81, but you go D with your other 3 early picks. I'm not saying I necessarily "want" this to happen, but I think it's possible/defensible.

On another note, the more I think about it, the more I think Miami takes an Edge like Paye (if available) or Basham early, rather than Phillips or Rousseau. Paye and Basham seem more like scheme fits. Then they could draft a LB who can rush the passer. So for instance, maybe Collins at 18 and then maybe Basham in the 2nd round.

I'm really hoping Miami trades their pick at 18 and drops down into the 20s and possibly pick up another 3rd rounder.

My only thought on this is that if Miami wanted Parsons, they could probably get him at 12 (I think) and did not have to give up that future 1 to Philly.

No, I was saying 3 of the first 5 picks. You get your WR at #6 and your RB and #81, but you go D with your other 3 early picks. I'm not saying I necessarily "want" this to happen, but I think it's possible/defensible.
As long as we get an elite pass catcher at 6, I'm fine with defense at 18 and 36. Our defense was effective last year because of Flo outwitting offensive coordinators with smoke and mirrors. That's great and will continue to help us moving forward, but we still need to keep adding talent.

My only thought on this is that if Miami wanted Parsons, they could probably get him at 12 (I think) and did not have to give up that future 1 to Philly.
That’s what I was saying earlier, I would be okay with taking Pitts/chase/waddle/smith at 6 and then using 50 to go up to 10-11 if a guys like parsons was still there. Get 2 of them.

Best player is most likely offense with each of those top 50 picks IMO.
Logic dictates that is not possible, unless you think there are 50 offensive players that are better than the best "D" player.

Just saying..........

Seems like a very broad statement.

Logic dictates that is not possible, unless you think there are 50 offensive players that are better than the best "D" player.

Just saying..........

Seems like a very broad statement.
Well if you put it that way!

Not saying there are 50 offensive players who should go before a defensive player, but the draft is definitely loaded on offense.

Back
Top Bottom