Could Miami have competition for KCs #2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could Miami have competition for KCs #2

Sean LaChapelle

no, it's the Chiefs
Reaction score
The Bucs are between a rock & a hard place cap wise

TAMPA - The Bucs begin their first week of voluntary organized team activities Tuesday, a euphemism for full-squad workouts.

The most significant issue will be the roll call.

Almost certain not to show is offensive tackle Todd Steussie, who has not been seen or heard from since the 60 Minutes Wednesday report linking him to steroid prescriptions.

But the player almost everybody at One Buc Place is curious about is Ronde Barber.

The All-Pro is grossly underpaid, ranking 27th among cornerbacks when the free-agent signing period began at an average salary of $3-million. Barber and his agent have approached the Bucs about an increase, but there has been no dialogue recently.

Bucs officials sounded uncertain about his appearance, mentioning he recently was in New York training with his brother, Giants running back Tiki Barber.

A year ago, receiver Keenan McCardell, believing he deserved a pay increase, was a no-show. The excuse he gave was a scheduling conflict. But it soon became apparent that McCardell was staging his own demonstration, which led to a training camp holdout and Oct.19 trade to the Chargers.

Don't expect Barber to handle his dissatisfaction in similar fashion. He won't say a negative word about the organization. Attempts to reach Barber and his agent were unsuccessful. But nobody would be surprised if he did not report on time.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/04/03/B...entions_u.shtml

Interesting. Hes 30 years old and on the downside of his career. I also think he was a product of his system he played in, rather than a purely talented cover corner. Still, hes a gamer, and he could push the envelope for Saban and Co. Its definitely something to keep an eye on. Im guessing that the Chiefs would be interested to trade for him if he were to become available.

The fact that the chiefs have already agreed, in principle, to a contract with Surtain would lead me to believe that he will be a Chief by the end of the draft.

Surtain is younger and better, but Barber would want less money. But if the Chiefs have agreed on a contract with Surtain, Surtain is more likely to get traded to the Chiefs.

Good find.

Barber is still a very solid CB. He's more athletic than Surtain. Better tackler. Has more speed than Pat. And he's never missed a game.

But Barber's a zone guy. Smaller than Pat. And not on Pat's level as a coverage corner. It should also be noted that our CBs' bodies take a licking as a result of the press coverage they play, compared to the off-zone the Bucs play.

With Randy Moss, Jerry Porter, Ashley Lelie, Rod Smith, Keenan McCardell and possibly Mike Williams and/or Braylon Edwards (San Diego) in that division, you need a guy with decent size who can blanket an elite receiver. Gunther Cunningham wants to play press. Barber is smaller and is not that guy. He's more like Antoine Winfield.

Muck said:
Good find.

Barber is still a very solid CB. He's more athletic than Surtain. Better tackler. Has more speed than Pat. And he's never missed a game.

But Barber's a zone guy. Smaller than Pat. And not on Pat's level as a coverage corner. It should also be noted that our CBs' bodies take a licking as a result of the press coverage they play, compared to the off-zone the Bucs play.

With Randy Moss, Jerry Porter, Ashley Lelie, Rod Smith, Keenan McCardell and possibly Mike Williams and/or Braylon Edwards (San Diego) in that division, you need a guy with decent size who can blanket an elite receiver. Gunther Cunningham wants to play press. Barber is smaller and is not that guy. He's more like Antoine Winfield.

Well said, man. Surtain is a much better fit for the Chiefs if they want to play press coverage...in fact IMO he's one of the elite press corners in the NFL due to his size and large amount of experience with the technique. Unless KC plans on changing their defensive scheme, trading for Barber instead of Surtain would be an idiotic move IMO.

Have you ever watched Barber try to cover man-to-man. It is quite amusing:lol:.

I have always liked Ronde. I think a lot of team do actually. I think we have Surtain's replacement already in house ( Poole ) and the depth is there ( Edwards ) that we probably wouldn't trade for him. I suppose KC could but Surtain would fit their needs a little better as Muck said.

Let KC find help elswhere or take Surtain, either way I don't care. If we keep Surtain we have a probowl corner playing in the same lineup he's played in his whole career or we trade him for a second. I don't know how anyone could be upset, with either scenario we win, this is getting old. I just wish the talk would end.

feelthepain said:
Let KC find help elswhere or take Surtain, either way I don't care. If we keep Surtain we have a probowl corner playing in the same lineup he's played in his whole career or we trade him for a second. I don't know how anyone could be upset, with either scenario we win, this is getting old. I just wish the talk would end.

we arent going to the SB next year. Pat will be a FA next year. We are better off getting something in return and letting poole develop. The long term plus of trading patoutweighs the short term plus of keeping him

As a Chiefs fan I would rather have Surtain then Ronde. Surtain is excellent at man coverage and bumping the WR at the LoS. Ronde excells at zone coverage. One of the main reasons we want Surtain so bad is because Gunther loves man on man coverage from his CBs.

MelbournePhin said:
barber couldnt hold pats jock

yeah thats the truth....barber is a short corner that always tries to go for the big int...but ends up having the taller wr score a td...better to shut down a reciever than let him get the big play

I hate risky corners

Back
Top Bottom