Could the Defense be our Weakest Link | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could the Defense be our Weakest Link

BenchFiedler

Undrafted Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you noticed but we are loaded on offense even if we cut someone like Minor or Harris.

We have lots of uncertainty at DT, CB, and S..Can the defense be our weakest link this season.

Are we the next Colts (excluding Manning) ? High powered offense and defense struggling.

I hope not...

BenchFiedler said:
I'm not sure if you noticed but we are loaded on offense even if we cut someone like Minor or Harris.

We have lots of uncertainty at DT, CB, and S..Can the defense be our weakest link this season.

Are we the next Colts (excluding Manning) ? High powered offense and defense struggling.

I hope not...

This is a very good question...I've been thinking about it for awhile..our D does look shakey as of right now...if Chester or T. Bo. are out and we don't get Traylor, then we will have to scheme to play D, and that's never good. I was hoping Poole would step in for Surtan and now I'm not sure, but edwards should be a decent fill in until we find somebody. At safety, I'm only comfortable with Y. Bell, Tebucky is good speed, but not a real playmaker in my opinion. Let's see if the coaches can overcome these deficiencies or the june 1st cuts provide some insurance.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

We have signed and drafted every DL and LB known to man, have defensive players stacked up like cordwood, and will have to cut people who would win starting jobs on half the other teams.

We have NO real go-to WR, we have people getting excited about a blown-out hasbeen WR who has been a clubhouse cancer at every stop, are depending on a rookie RB and a bunch of journeymen, have a patchwork OL, and NO NFL caliber starting QB. And you think we are the Colts?

Our offense is 25th or worse in the entire league, and we have NO QB. The other teams laugh at us and we are projected to win 5 games next year because OUR OFFENSE IS A JOKE.

The defense has been addressed. Now we will lose 10 games by 17-14 scores instead of losing 12 games by 28-14 scores.

TRADE FOR A QB

I really don't think the Colts would be a high powered offense with Manning. I agree with you that CB, S, and DT are major concern on our defense... but I don't think that our defense IS the weakest link. There's always the chance it COULD be, but I really don't think that'll be the case. The offense in my mind, is, and alway has been the biggest question mark. If we get Keith Traylor and hoping at least Chester could play, I think we will be in pretty decent shape at DT, at least for this season. We are fine at SS with Tebucky Jones, I think he was a great pick up... but FS is the question mark of course. Our biggest concern may very well be CB sad to say, but if our D-line is going to be as good as I am hoping... they will put tremendous pressure on the opposing QB and make our secondary perform better. A good example of this would be the Carolina Panthers of 2003. I really hope this is the case. I don't think we should be worrying too much about our Defense, I think we will yet again in the top 10. My guess would be higher than that. Our weakest link in mind right now if offense until we can see if our QB and our O-line can step it up.

dolphingator said:
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Our offense is 25th or worse in the entire league, and we have NO QB. The other teams laugh at us and we are projected to win 5 games next year because OUR OFFENSE IS A JOKE.

The defense has been addressed. Now we will lose 10 games by 17-14 scores instead of losing 12 games by 28-14 scores.

TRADE FOR A QB

I'm sorry, Did you say something?

dolphingator said:
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

We have signed and drafted every DL and LB known to man, have defensive players stacked up like cordwood, and will have to cut people who would win starting jobs on half the other teams.

We have NO real go-to WR, we have people getting excited about a blown-out hasbeen WR who has been a clubhouse cancer at every stop, are depending on a rookie RB and a bunch of journeymen, have a patchwork OL, and NO NFL caliber starting QB. And you think we are the Colts?

TRADE FOR A QB

Obviously Bates and Saban disagrees with you..and so do I, our O will work together for a 2nd year, while our D is missing key parts..Our O showed signs at the end of the year, while our D has taken a couple of hits this off season.

QB is BY FAR the weakest position for the miami dolphins.

OT is a close 2nd.

BenchFiedler said:

I hope not...

The colts had 3 reciever last season with over 1000 yards, all over ten TDs (15, 10, 12)

A QB with 4500 yds and a 122 passer rating.

The 4th leading rusher in the league with 1500 yards

and last, but not least, a dominant O-line.

The phins have :

0 1000 yards WRs, 0 1500 yd RB's, and a QB who was last in the league in passer rating.

You will be improved, but try and be realistic about it.

Your D has made improvements up front, but taken a step back in the secondary.

Our LBs and DL won't disappoint. Our secondary has question marks though but with Sam Madison, at least there's some certainty.

No, I doubt it....

Saban is a defensive guru, and the way things are shaping up on the DL, the defense will be our strength IMO....

The offense should improve, but there's still some holes to fill, especially on the OL. Unless we can count on Brown to be an extremely explosive player his rookie season, the offense will struggle more than the defense will IMO...

PHINZ RULE!!!

ch19079 said:
QB is BY FAR the weakest position for the miami dolphins.

OT is a close 2nd.

That maynot be true, AJ improved play at the end of last season, does remind me of Farve's improved play at the end of his first season...from there on, you know the rest. OL was our weakest link last year, it cause McMicheals and the rb to stay in to max protect, which limited our O greatly. Because of OL play, there was no running game, teams blitz us like mad because we couldn't stop anyone. I watched evey game last year and AJ wasn't as bad as you think, but he didn't have much time to look for receivers or anybody else. Despite that he learned to move a little more in the pocket and find people toward the end. I actually think that experience will help him this year. there's no question about his arm and accuracy.

MDFINFAN said:
That maynot be true, AJ improved play at the end of last season,
In a different system. He has to learn a whole new system all over again w/ a different OL .

The Pats plugged in defensive rookies in the playoffs.Didn't make a difference, they didn't miss a heartbeat. I think Saban will get your D on the same page before your O.

Justasportsfan said:
In a different system. He has to learn a whole new system all over again w/ a different OL .

The Pats plugged in defensive rookies in the playoffs.Didn't make a difference, they didn't miss a heartbeat. I think Saban will get your D on the same page before your O.

I actually think this system is more QB friendlier, obviously he's going to have to have an adjustment period, hope the extra OTA's, TC, and 5 game preseason helps prepare him for the opener, then hopefully he takes only 4 games to adjust to the new system.

MDFINFAN said:
That maynot be true, AJ improved play at the end of last season, does remind me of Farve's improved play at the end of his first season...from there on, you know the rest.

please dont compare AJ to Farve based on "improvment" in the last 3 games of his first season.

if you make a comparison to Farve, its about being a great QB, very stong arm, tough player.....

not about a 3 game improvment in his first season.

i dont know why, but it always bothers me when sports casters or writers compare very young players (often drafties) to hall of fame players based on something as minor as height, weight, style of throw, or 40 time... ect.

not saying your post is that bad, but it is in the same ball park.

dolphingator said:
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

TRADE FOR A QB

lol@no go to WR...

lol@our D being fine...

its definately an issue... the tackle spot is VITAL and if we dont get that tightened up we'll be in for another long season... if we cant stop the run, play action will kill us and not to mention our TOP will be kept to a minimum... we really need traylor and i think we NEED to get this kid fro mthe supplimental draft...

thats all im really worried about though, i think our corners will do fine, and our safety situation will be enough... but that DT spot scares me... and if you cant stop the run you got issues just like last season...

Back
Top Bottom