Could the Dolphins do a trade now for a slot WR? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could the Dolphins do a trade now for a slot WR?

Did you watch him in any Navy games? He's good and he has some different skills. Don't just look at his 40 time, watch how he consistently baffled and evaded his defensive opponents even when they knew he was running the ball. He has the ability to read the situation and change direction in a nanosecond. He has great balance and can take a hit. Navy's a team that runs the ball an extremely high percentage of plays and he was the 5'9" QB who rarely threw the ball. Let's see how he goes in the pros.
BTW - He's also very intelligent (quantitative Economics major at the Naval Academy), high character and trained by the best to be a leader. As a senior, he set various Navy and NCAA records, including the most rushing yards by a quarterback in a season (2,017 rushing yards), and was named American Athletic Conference (AAC) Offensive Player of the Year. Not bad for a 7th round Draft pick. He didn't even play WR in college, methinks Coach Flores and GM Chris Grier have a specific plan how to utilize him for certain plays.
All that being stated, I never saw Perry as anything but a practice squad player going into camp. Now with Wilson and Hurns opting out for the season, Perry might end up as the 6th WR on the roster if they decide to keep 6 and he shows he can play the position at the NFL level. I will be surprised if he gets much playing time even if he does end up on the 53 man roster.

All that being stated, I never saw Perry as anything but a practice squad player going into camp. Now with Wilson and Hurns opting out for the season, Perry might end up as the 6th WR on the roster if they decide to keep 6 and he shows he can play the position at the NFL level. I will be surprised if he gets much playing time even if he does end up on the 53 man roster.

I was the complete opposite. I thought he could be the steal of the draft. I thought Miami was trying to make a poor mans Christian MaCaffery.

Passing game carried the Dolphins to there 5 wins last season and while we have upgraded our RB's and offensive line we shouldn't go into the season missing that talent at receiver.

Attrition rate with players could be extremely high, Injury list - covid-19 list.

Starters going into camp and their relievers who would of seen game snaps, my guess.
Parker - out of Gase's doghouse turned into legit #1 but foot and ankle problems had him miss or limited his performance every other year.
Williams - even if cleared to play there's no guarantee he is ready to play game 1.
Wilson - opted out, high end slot when healthy and would of seen significant snaps.
Hurns - opted out, good backup outside and in.
Grant - hmmm will get snaps but on IR last 2 years, who knows what he will be able to contribute.

Backups
Ford - played decent at the end of the year, more than likely moves up to get snaps in game.
Jennings - more than likely sticks has NFL experience.

Player the Dolphins are looking at - Mack Hollans, Matt cole, Kirk Merritt

Have to add Mike Gesicki to the list but he is considered a TE but we all know he is a miss-match receiver.

Game 1 - Williams isn't ready to go yet, Parker, Grant, Ford, Jennings - that's who you got on 4 WR set - looks rather slim even adding Gesicki to list leaving little room for IR, Covid 19 list.

Having players come in after camp and having them play catch up while a 1st year offensive game plan is being installed is not ideal, both Wilson and Hurns have played in multiple systems and would of picked up the new offensive plan quickly, bigger loss than most our willing to admit. We have gone from a position of strength to a ? again not ideal.

I certainly wouldn’t trade at this point. Let Flores see what he has got already and wait for a good/reasonable receiver to get cut elsewhere which is bound to happen nearer the season start and pick them up on a one year deal.

Another article talking about Perry being asked to learn slot.
Assuming he stays healthy, the Hurns and Wilson announcements pretty much guarantee Perry makes the roster. The funny thing is that the down the line effect of this is that Ballage probably makes the roster as well.

Last 4 weeks of the year Isaiah Ford had roughly 20 catches for 235 yards. Not spectacular numbers by any means, but not something that screams upgrade your #4 target on offense right now. We need depth at the receiver position because we're really thin right now, we can't suffer another injury or COVID, not so much an upgrade.

I didn't have hurns on my final roster. Was also on the fence with Wilson.
I now feel Jennings and ford are locks which is who I wanted most anyways.

I remember Perry played well at WR post-season (East-West?) and was probably in the slot. That and watch tape of him playing at Navy. The negative is that he has almost zero experience and will need time to learn the position. He is an exciting player and can play multiple positions.

I think there are enough options in house. Grant, Merritt, Perry, Ford and Jennings. Maybe add a waiver wire type, but I wouldn't trade draft picks.

Let's be honest if the Jets, Bills or Patriots were talking about going into the season with Grant, Merritt, Perry, Ford and Jennings as key parts of their receiving corp... Shaheen, Myarick and Smyth at tight end... and Ballage, Gaskin and Laird as their rb depth and a oline full of rookie talent would we really be shaking in our boots? Sure some of them might surprise and turn out to be decent but as a whole that's a weak looking NFL roster. Those skill players could be challenged by a group of the leagues top practice squad players at their respected positions. Not saying I'm not wishing them the best and hoping they shine with their opportunities, but as a unit they aren't overwhelming.

I remember Perry played well at WR post-season (East-West?) and was probably in the slot. That and watch tape of him playing at Navy. The negative is that he has almost zero experience and will need time to learn the position. He is an exciting player and can play multiple positions.
He was credited with 1 rush for 52 yards in the east west game. I didnt see any receiving stats listed for him, or any pass attempts from QB.

Let's be honest if the Jets, Bills or Patriots were talking about going into the season with Grant, Merritt, Perry, Ford and Jennings as key parts of their receiving corp... Shaheen, Myarick and Smyth at tight end... and Ballage, Gaskin and Laird as their rb depth and a oline full of rookie talent would we really be shaking in our boots? Sure some of them might surprise and turn out to be decent but as a whole that's a weak looking NFL roster. Those skill players could be challenged by a group of the leagues top practice squad players at their respected positions. Not saying I'm not wishing them the best and hoping they shine with their opportunities, but as a unit they aren't overwhelming.

Spot on, our talent level was suspect as it was. We will definitely need some infusion of talent, be it trade or wait for cuts.

I don't know if Perry is good enough to make it in the NFL. Maybe his shortness in height and lack of speed are too much to overcome (although I can remember when Jarvis with a top LSU pedigree was considered simply too slow after running a 4.77 at the combine). However, for just a 7th round Draft pick, Perry is an interesting development prospect to consider. While most NFL observers probably dismiss the Army vs Navy games as garbage because it is predominantly running the ball, it might surprise some to learn that the game is taken very seriously at West Point and Annapolis and by the alumni. Malcolm Perry is a product of this culture. He is tough and he is extremely smart. My hunch is still that Grier and Flores think that they may use his skills for certain plays (maybe special teams). He is the type of player Bill Belichick would probably try to sign as an undrafted free agent and all we used was a 7th round pick. Low downside, interesting potential upside. Go Malcolm!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom