Could the offense convert to a 4WR Look because of the TE problem | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could the offense convert to a 4WR Look because of the TE problem

matt11390

Starter
Reaction score
This is just me thinking out loud. I like Sims but not any other TE. So because of out TE issue could the offense create a 4 WR look with two roaming the middle? Specifically Gibson in the slot and McNutt in a TE look stretching the middle downfield. There was one play where RT hit McNutt down the middle just like he might have Keller. It was a great play and McNutt looked quick and large in that pattern because of the coverage. Perhaps we could do more of that and try to match McNutt's size and quickness against a LB. he could win those battles. Then keep Clay as our H-back. Thoughts?

You need to have tight ends on the field or you're asking for trouble with respect to blitzes, IMO. Not to mention their value to the running game.

It's not so much "convert" to a 4 WR set.

The 3 WR / 1 TE set adds endless plays to the playbook.

But the most important aspect of the formation is mis match between TE and LB. Patriots run this to no end. Find a TE that is bigger, faster than a LB and it's game. 4 WR set would just be countered by defense running Dime formation. No "advantage" in that play.

In addition, 3 WR / 1 TE also adds extra line blocker with an added run possiblity.

Sounds wonderful BUT as CK was saying you really wouldn't want to do it to much,cuzz of our line and lets be real McNutt isn't that great at catching a football.....

They discussed this on wqam this morning. And I'm not a fan of that with our oline at this point. we can't always b in 4 wide set. What about running plays?

Having the TE helps to run the ball when we have 3 WRs. New England does this alot. Clay could line up at FB and come out the backfield as well. If Sims and Egnew come along and Clay can remain the versatile guy instead of only TE we will be fine.

Its gonna be mostly 3 WR sets with Sims as in line TE. Some Two TE sets.

Hoping Fauria or Ryan Griffin get cut/picked up by Ireland. Need size. Doubt they do though. Houston Texans are pricks.

no...they need to stick this out with clay...clay and sims...barring an upgrade via trade which i see as low probability

3 wr single back single te sets...personnel wise probably the best fit with gibson doing good work in the slot...hartline to dime people up at the sticks and wallace to open the middle up for the te and gibson and also provide the vertical and chunk yardage plays underneath bail coverages

New England got away with it a lot with Hernandez as a TE when he was about as useful in the running game as your average wideout. They probably did suffer in the run game when he was out there but its worth it if he beats a linebacker down the field for one big play a game.

By the way, do we really assume Rishard Matthews is a better wide receiver than Charles Clay is a tight end?

I'm not sure I would, yet.

Its gonna be mostly 3 WR sets with Sims as in line TE. Some Two TE sets.

Hoping Fauria or Ryan Griffin get cut/picked up by Ireland. Need size. Doubt they do though. Houston Texans are pricks.

we need to bring in a Vet TE as long as he can be an avg catching the ball TE and can block somewhat , but we will find a Vet TE before the start of the season starts , but we will have to be on our game because NE loves 2 TE sets and there always looking to upgrade at that poss .

i think clay provides more mismatch potential and options than rishard mathews does as your 4th wr right now...wr sets also would expose our pass pro more...

ideally clay steps up and starts catching the damn ball when he's open and becoming dependable and then this is a no brainer...clays been here long enough...but being asked to play a more tight end role than h back one again was gonna set him back somewhat...and that's what we are doing with keller out

clay lacks kellers polish...although he might be a better seam threat...kellers routes are cleaner

Wasn't there are report earlier in the year that said Tannehill was really warming up to 4 and 5 receiver sets? Even before Keller got hurt.

Back
Top Bottom