Could This Be The Best Group Of Undrafted Fa's In Dolphins History? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could This Be The Best Group Of Undrafted Fa's In Dolphins History?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
I know it's too early to say, but I can never remember so many undrafted free agents making the kind of impact we are seeing from this group. Preston Williams, in particular, was a highlight reel in preseason game number one. I know, pump the brakes. But here are a few who could make the team and even play major roles.

Preston Williams WR The Brandon Marshall comparison looks on target
Shaq Calhoun OG Might start at RG
Dewayne Hendrixs DE -- Has shown potential as a pass rusher
Montre Hartage DB -- In the mix for a roster spot at CB
Jonathan Ledbetter DE -- Wouldn't be surprised if he starts at DE
Nik Needham DB -- Had a tough preseason debut, but should make the roster.

Am I forgetting anyone? I know when a team has a lot of UDFA make it that usually means its a roster that is in transition and I do realize that's part of it in Miami. Still, can anyone recall so many UDFA's in the mix for the Dolphins over the years?

Too early to tell because most of those guys aren't really going to be around very long outside of 1 or 2.

Miami has had many classes where UDFA's have came in and won starting jobs - but in reality weren't very good starters - like Davone Bess.

Oronde Gadsden was a good one though.

Although one of the best I can remember was back in 1994 when Miami signed Calvin Jackson, Shelton Quarles, and Tyoka Jackson - although only one really played for Miami.

Quarles got cut in camp and went on to be a pro bowler in Tampa taking over for Hardy Nickerson. Was a captain and leader of that great Bucs defense. Tyoka Jackson went on to play for about 12 years in the NFL. Calvin Jackson was a starting safety for Miami for what seemed like 4 or 5 years.

Folks need to realize there is a starter and a good starter. One starts because he is a good player the other because there is nobody better. Rating anything, drafts, FA classes and UFDA classes based on the amount of starters it produces is fools gold.

I do wonder if the UDFA are really that great or if it is an indictment of the lack of talent we have on this team. I would venture it is the latter.
That's really the question isn't it? I do think 2-3 down the road will be a better indication. Will Preston Williams be a true #1 receiver like X. Howard indicated? Will any of the others still be around? I think Ledbetter and Williams may end up being the two best.

Folks need to realize there is a starter and a good starter. One starts because he is a good player the other because there is nobody better. Rating anything, drafts, FA classes and UFDA classes based on the amount of starters it produces is fools gold.

Don't know how you define "good starter," so I'm not talking to you specifically, but, IMO, there's 'we have nobody better,' 'he's an average starter' (some non-football minds call that 'bust' or 'horrible'), and there's 'top 10.' Any pick that gets an average player is a good pick.

I do wonder if the UDFA are really that great or if it is an indictment of the lack of talent we have on this team. I would venture it is the latter.

Little of both. We didnt exactly have great talent. And a lot of the guys we saw as talent font really have a place in the new system (at least defensively). Though offensively it's the same. Gase and crew loved Zack Sterup, he probably wont make the team for Flores

I know it's too early to say, but I can never remember so many undrafted free agents making the kind of impact we are seeing from this group. Preston Williams, in particular, was a highlight reel in preseason game number one. I know, pump the brakes. But here are a few who could make the team and even play major roles.

Preston Williams WR The Brandon Marshall comparison looks on target
Shaq Calhoun OG Might start at RG
Dewayne Hendrixs DE -- Has shown potential as a pass rusher
Montre Hartage DB -- In the mix for a roster spot at CB
Jonathan Ledbetter DE -- Wouldn't be surprised if he starts at DE
Nik Needham DB -- Had a tough preseason debut, but should make the roster.

Am I forgetting anyone? I know when a team has a lot of UDFA make it that usually means its a roster that is in transition and I do realize that's part of it in Miami. Still, can anyone recall so many UDFA's in the mix for the Dolphins over the years?
Tre Watson will make the roster. Needham will not.

Keep in mind this as well. The whole philosophy for the staff has changed. Look at the change in LB for an example. Much more emphasis on speed and coverage. Also, we are going from almost never using more than 5 DBs to using up to 7 on the field at the same time. That makes a guy like Chase Allen (who was first LB off the bench for Gase and Burke) less attractive to keep than some of the DBs.

If this is the case, so be it. Some of these kids should have been drafted. Good for the F/O to identify these players and get them signed. What's sticks out the most, is they all fit the mold of the Patriot Way. They do at least on thing very well. Something the coaching staff can utilize and work with.

If Preston Williams justifiably ends up as our primary receiver or 2nd option, regardless of any other UFA outcomes, it will have been a tremendously successful UFA signing season IMO.

Back
Top Bottom