Could this career adversity actually be good for Tua next season? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could this career adversity actually be good for Tua next season?

cltchperf

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I haven't really followed Tua much but heard he's gone through adversity in his life so that's not new. But career adversity can be separate. He's a top 5 pick and that's great but even if you're a hard worker and leader, maybe sometimes not being touted or a struggle can help. I know he had his hip injury and with that adversity couldn't wait to get back to how he was in college. However, I think he might've been hindered or felt a little hindered without a full training camp or strength training to get back to the form he wanted. With another year to heal, it might help him to bring out that ability more and to obviously learn the game going back to training.

So pair that along with, now you have everywhere the doubts from anonymous players, analysts. Some saying how Tua's a bust, not only has Herbert done better but he's so much more talented, and the pile on. To me, even though I wish things went smoother even though I liked a few games he had there were als struggles of course. However, just seeing from the outside and not being a player, I see these doubts everywhere and I'm like screw these dudes ha and it's not even toward me. So ironically, I feel this could potentially be a good thing or atleast we can really see what Tua's mettle is.

It may suck for a player but sometimes it can be beneficial for some players to get knocked down.
I don't say this because Tua's ****y as I believe he's a nice dude and humble. But these situations can fuel a hard work that's already there and perhaps take that huge drive there already and turbo boost it. Does he have it in him? who knows but who knows that it might fuel a fire or chip on his shoulder to kick into gear that talent that made him a top 5 pick. I don't believe it's necessarily what a person is born with, and it doesn't have to be early in life either. Sometimes slights and doubts later on can fuel stuff. I loved the last dance, but it wasn't just not making the highschool basketball team for Jordan, but Jordan even admitting his older brother beating him at basketball when he was young is what fuel michael to be so crazy competitive. If michael's brother wasn't like that, who knows if jordan would have had that fire that made him the goat. We all know about Tom Brady. But Aaron Rodgers always had a ton of talent, but I think he had skills that needed to be polished in the pros.

But I do wonder if Aaron Rodgers would be the bad man he is if he was picked top 5 like projected instead of fall to no 24 and be humbled and stoke a fire he might not have had before. He was the top dog in college and projected top 5 the whole time and then the drop happened. Marino was superb in talent, and he didn't really have to study like Peyton as it seemed like Marino had a gift of seeing the field like few qbs did. But I can't help feeling an extra fire might've came too for marino going all the way down to no 27. I'm not saying Tua will be great, but some of your best of all time were either overlooked or dropped down and they took that and never let go of that fire. Obviously a player has to have the ability and doesn't work for other players. I mean it goes on, Steve Smith, etc. Just because Tua is a nice dude doesn't mean he can't separate that and be a beast on the field. Troy Polumalu is one of the more soft spoken, humble players, yet he was an absolute beast once he stepped on field. If there's a situation that could activate a mamba mentality in Tua this is it now.

Many rookie qbs that turn out good or great in their career have a not so great rookie season. But despite that, I haven't seen a rookie qb which Tua's td and int ratio was better than a good many of rookie qbs that ended up being good or for his rookie season to have that he had. For fans and many sources just feel he's a bust or the wrong pick when other rookie qbs didn't get that and it's mainly because Tua got drafted and compared to two other qbs who did well. Previous one's got that pass because they didn't get compared or guys next to them to get compared to like Tua has been. Sometimes it's a distraction and maybe some shouldn't pay attention to the doubts, but other times the great one's make use of the doubts and makes them better.

I'm sure he already has that drive, but I hope this crap that's been dumped on him from everywhere and him being doubted. It fuels an extra fire that he already has and he goes mamba mentality into next season and proves all these premature doubters wrong.

I'm sure he already has that drive, but I hope this crap that's been dumped on him from everywhere and him being doubted. It fuels an extra fire that he already has and he goes mamba mentality into next season and proves all these premature doubters wrong.
Absolutely... I'd prefer Watson, but if we can't get him, I will be rooting for the kid!

I think he can handle the Miami drama just fine and I expect a fully healed, hopefully well prepared (COVID issues gone) Tua with dramatic improvement.
Yeah, I think it's a nice test to his mettle which I believe in him. But everyone is doubting him and maybe that let's other crumble, but for others, like I said, it makes them go into overdrive even more than they'd already be in. Sometimes being top 5 and touted with no doubt works fine, but sometimes you can turn an adversity into a positive like Rodgers turned going down to 24 as a positive. He even said it humbled him and it seemed to light a fire that he might've already had but surge it more. Granted Tua might not needed the humbling since he's already a humble guy it seems. However, sometimes you can take the things that hit you and instead of hurting you, you go stronger as a result and turn it into a positive. Tua's being doubted, time for you to shine Tua and show these doubters wrong

Last edited:
Absolutely... I'd prefer Watson, but if we can't get him, I will be rooting for the kid!
I'm fine with watson if a good deal comes, but if a ton has to be given up then no thanks. We can't mortgage the teams future for one great player. I still don't think the Texans will trade Watson after all of this which is why I'm looking at Tua as our qb unless changes otherwise.

I'm fine with watson if a good deal comes, but if a ton has to be given up then no thanks. We can't mortgage the teams future for one great player. I still don't think the Texans will trade Watson after all of this which is why I'm looking at Tua as our qb unless changes otherwise.
I don't think they'll do it unless they have to... and I don't think Watson will make it ugly enough so that they have to move him... but I'm hopeful. Getting a 25 year old QB who is already this good happens once in a decade, and I'm going to make an effort to be part of that if I am the GM.

Best scenario... Watson lights the front office on fire and their price drops.

I don't think they'll do it unless they have to... and I don't think Watson will make it ugly enough so that they have to move him... but I'm hopeful. Getting a 25 year old QB who is already this good happens once in a decade, and I'm going to make an effort to be part of that if I am the GM.

Best scenario... Watson lights the front office on fire and their price drops.
But I don't think Watson will hold out in training camp or the season. I think the texans will hold onto Watson knowing he will come around because it will hit his pocketbook as Watson will lose millions if he misses time at camp and the season.

But I don't think Watson will hold out in training camp or the season. I think the texans will hold onto Watson knowing he will come around because it will hit his pocketbook as Watson will lose millions if he misses time at camp and the season.
Here's how he can handle this without breaking any rules...

He shows up on time, practices hard, and then answers every single question from the press.

Deshaun, do you still want to be traded?
Yes.
Why?
I think that the front office has done a horrible job here in Houston, but I've signed a contract and will do my best anyway.
Deshaun, does this depress you?
Yes.

Last edited:
But... back to Tua.

This adversity could certainly make him tougher, and give him a chip on his shoulder. That would be great for all of us.

But... back to Tua.

This adversity could certainly make him tougher, and give him a chip on his shoulder. That would be great for all of us.
Not saying it will for him, but it has for some of our greats. Some might have been great but not to the level they were if not for them being doubted or overlooked which created that chip. Like I said about Aaron Rodgers, he didn't like it of course, but he said looking back. He felt it was the best thing to happen to him. Yes it helped for him to learn and take time under Favre, but he said it humbled him and most likely took away any complacency being a top pick can do to a player. It probably pissed him off and fueled more of a fire than top 5 players and picked that way, where things are handed to them and sometimes takes away that feeling that they have to prove themselves. I mean there's a reason from the physical stand point that Brady was pick 199, but Brady has maintained his greatness because despite his superbowls. He still remembers and feels he has something to prove despite his success.

The talent has to be there but that has just as much to do with his greatness. I'm not so sure Brady would be the goat if he was a first rd pick, because he might not have had that fire that pushed him to be the goat. Steve Smith, a third rd WR, looked as only to a special team player in nfl. You see the way he played he never forgot the doubts scouts had on him because of his height and maybe school he played for. And all the way up to this retirement even with all the receiving yards he played hard, despite being a very good WR in the league for years. He was still playing like he was trying to make the roster even though he already proved that he's a very good WR.

Back
Top Bottom