Could this career adversity actually be good for Tua next season? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could this career adversity actually be good for Tua next season?

Adversity is one thing I’m not worried about when it comes to Tua. This was a crazy first year and he handled it like a pro. He has too many good intangibles to fail in this league. Will he be a superstar? That’s something we can discuss around year four or five
This comment right here is why I firmly believe that Tua simply has too many intangibles not to succeed as our QB.

When I watched the Tua documentary that came out shortly after Miami drafted him, there was a segment that really jumped out to me. Tua was invited to the Elite 11 QB camp as a junior in High School and Trent Dilfer was one of the instructors. Dilfer talks about how all over the place Tua was and he had a really bad showing at the camp. At the end of the camp, Tua and his parents sat down with Dilfer and asked him what Tua needed to work on. Trent went on to say that when you critique one of these young QB’s, they brush it off because they’ve got all of these SEC and Big 10 programs chasing after them, telling them how awesome they are, etc.

Tua made a list of all the critiques given by Dilfer, and for the next year, spent hours upon hours working on his weaknesses nearly each and every day. Tua returned to the Elite 11 camp his senior year and set that camp on fire, leading to Tua being presented with the MVP award for the camp. Dilfer said that when Tua came back, he had mastered each and every item on his weakness list.

Now I don’t know if Tua will have a Brees/Rodgers type of career, but one thing I do know- he will be a good, top level starter in the NFL. There’s simply no way he will allow for anything else. It’s just not in his make-up. As we watch Miami continue to work on their rebuild, the one thing I’m not concerned about at all is whether or not Tua is going to be ok. Add to that the fact that Miami knows that a large amount of their draft capital needs to be spent adding weapons for Tua. The people that are on the fence or have already given up on Tua are in for a big surprise in year 2. Book it.

It wasn’t just saying they thought Fitz gave them a better chance. Someone actually questioned Tua’s ability and skills publicly.

And again, I just don’t like that’s it was aired out publicly. That’s my biggest issue with it all, not that they had an opinion.

Free Speech? Sure, but if you are going to tell me you have the rights to say these things, then at least stand behind your words like a man and don’t do it anonymously.
anonymous is the new way of life for reporting. This has been the way for years now.

Honestly, I sure as heck wouldn't call it 'adversity'. More like 'sports talk show adversity'. Talking heads are concerned with 'how well he is doing compared to Herbert or 'if he will get traded to the Texans'.

#1: there are thirty one other starting quarterbacks in the league...this is not a two quarterback league in which the trophy goes to the 'better' of the two. And the truth is that Tua in Miami is closer to winning a Super Bowl than Herbert in San Diego. That's what I care about.

#2: for all the mutterings about DeShaun Watson and his 'potential destinations', that is nothing more than talking head speculation putting on their Madden-football trading scenarios. And if the article saying that the Texans covet Justin Fields more than Tua, IMO it just shows how lost the Texans FO is. Fields faced four winning teams all year last season. He was God-like against one of them (Clemson). The other three -- Indiana, Northwestern, and Alabama -- he completed 47 of 90 passes for 608 yards with 3 TDs and 5 INTs.

That wasn’t
Tom Brady didn’t have great arm talent nor did joe Montana. Tons of qbs with great arms are busts too. It’s so much more than arm talent as it doesn’t mean much of you can’t read defenses. The extra film the extra conditioning or crazy prep that comes from that chip on ones shoulder. Aaron Rodgers I believe had bad mechanics though. I’m not sure he would’ve. Aaron Rodgers a didn’t look good his first two seasons. I watched pre season games where he’d come in and still not look good vs backups. Aaron said the drop was humbling and looking back it was actually a good thing for him
That wasn’t the point...the point was you can’t compare Josh Allen’s early struggles to Tua...Allen had the raw physical tools that made it worth more patience.

Tua better show some intangibles early in his career as his physical tools don’t warrant as much patience.

Honestly, I sure as heck wouldn't call it 'adversity'. More like 'sports talk show adversity'. Talking heads are concerned with 'how well he is doing compared to Herbert or 'if he will get traded to the Texans'.

#1: there are thirty one other starting quarterbacks in the league...this is not a two quarterback league in which the trophy goes to the 'better' of the two. And the truth is that Tua in Miami is closer to winning a Super Bowl than Herbert in San Diego. That's what I care about.

#2: for all the mutterings about DeShaun Watson and his 'potential destinations', that is nothing more than talking head speculation putting on their Madden-football trading scenarios. And if the article saying that the Texans covet Justin Fields more than Tua, IMO it just shows how lost the Texans FO is. Fields faced four winning teams all year last season. He was God-like against one of them (Clemson). The other three -- Indiana, Northwestern, and Alabama -- he completed 47 of 90 passes for 608 yards with 3 TDs and 5 INTs.
Don’t you think the Texans are going to say they don’t have interest in Tua As it’s a chess game. If they come out and say they love him they lose leverage just like us saying we want Watson. Don’t believe anything you read this time of year smoke screens abound

That wasn’t

That wasn’t the point...the point was you can’t compare Josh Allen’s early struggles to Tua...Allen had the raw physical tools that made it worth more patience.

Tua better show some intangibles early in his career as his physical tools don’t warrant as much patience.
It's worth the patience if a qb has the skills to be a good or great qb. And a lot of qbs with allens skills are often busts too because scouts go with that over ones who might have less of that but leadership. Tua better show some intangibles early, well I guess it's good Chargers were able to luck out and get Phillip Rivers because Drew Brees took time and he's a hall of famer qb and it worked out great for Saints. I didn't mean allen specifically but some of your top players have doubts and it created a chip on their shoulder that pushed them harder. This is a great test for Tua and we'll see what he's made out of especially regarding the doubts. If he has it, not only will he do better but he'll come back harder than ever because of that extra fire from having his back up against the wall because of so many impatient quitters.

Back
Top Bottom