Votes: 7 5.1%
  • no, someone not currently on the team will

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters

nick1

I am Groot
Club Member
Reaction score
With the injury to Poole which puts him out for the season the Dolphins now have 3 contenders for the starting job on the other side of Madison. Reggie Howard, Mario Edwards, and Travis Daniels. I don't know about you but I'd hate to see Edwards start, he's a horrible starter. So in my opinion it's between Howard and Daniels for that starting job. Since Daniels knows Saban's system better then probably any player on the team I think he will start. He has great reach with his long arms and has great timing on the ball.

As a starter? no as a nickel or dime back...yes definitely. He knows the system well. There is a slight chance he could end up starting, but I'm not sure Saban would want to give that responsibility to a rookie even if he did coach him in college. (of course I don't know Saban...just guessing here)

It's too damn early to know. Usually a coach wants to start veteran players, but JJ in his first year in Miami preferred his rookies (Karim, Prichett, Wooden etc...), so who knows which approach Saban will take.

i thought howard was gonna start regardless of the poole injury to be honest... i think he'll get the starting nod, travis might beat out edwards for the nickle spot...

I doubt that Daniels will ever come close to start in this year anyway. I wish that he would be moved to FS so that he can compete and start there. But i dont want to see him start at CB this year.

I dont care what anyone says in response to this...

the answer has to be YES...

YES, Travis Daniels 'could' start... :D

BTW... I had Madison and Howard projected as starters before Poole's injury... therefore, IMO, we lost our nickel back.

Didn't we already talk about this? IMO, Howard will be the starter. He started on a superbowl panthers secondary on a defense that focused on its front seven? Ring a bell? that's us now. I also think Saban will bring back T-buck for veteran depth.

finsnchips said:

BTW... I had Madison and Howard projected as starters before Poole's injury... therefore, IMO, we lost our nickel back.

the question on the poll is will he start but that doesn't matter much :wink:

nick19991 said:
With the injury to Poole which puts him out for the season the Dolphins now have 3 contenders for the starting job on the other side of Madison. Reggie Howard, Mario Edwards, and Travis Daniels. I don't know about you but I'd hate to see Edwards start, he's a horrible starter. So in my opinion it's between Howard and Daniels for that starting job. Since Daniels knows Saban's system better then probably any player on the team I think he will start. He has great reach with his long arms and has great timing on the ball.

Yeah you make good points but I have a feeling reggie will start, sice his more experienced, Travis probably will play at nickel

I hope Saban's scheme works wonders because if Howard is starting then our secondary is in trouble. Madison is declining and Howard is a nickel at best. I'd expect a Daniels or Roundtree or a young guy to step up and grab the job IMO. I could see T-Buck coming in and surprising only because of his speed. He likes to jump a route for big plays and he should know the system somewhat from his NE days. Losing Poole hurts for the future because we really needed to see if this kid is the real deal.
I saw some posts about too bad we didn't get Corey Webster now BUT let's not lose sight that if we did then we wouldn't have Roth and he is very much needed!! This line needs an overhaul and he may be a core player for years. His attitude seems like just what this team needs.

in response to the thread title - absolutely he could start and i rate him with the 2nd best shot at starting, but i've voted for howard to start. i reckon that's the smarter move right now. and despite his under-performance for us so far i think he'll make a very good #2 cb next year.

come the end of pre-season then that all may be debatable. but i don't think it'll turn out that way.

finsnchips said:

I thought Howard would start also. We lose our nickel back and every slides up the depth chart. Im sure Daniels will see a lot of playing time, but I dont see him starting opposite Madison

Back
Top Bottom