Could You Stomach Osweiller Starting In 2019?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by TrinidadDolfan, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Ray R

Ray R FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

What if we use him and he plays good to above average? Won't that kill the plan to tank?

2. Ray R

If this turns out to be correct, it would goes a long way in explaining the sudden drop off by Gase and the team at the end of last season and why he left Miami.

3. Ray R

What is the possibility of getting a QB from the Canadian football league. We wouldn't have to give up any draft picks and the Canadian football league could have a few sleepers there we could make offers to.

This can't be as bad as trying to tank with little guarantee that we could get who we want. Even if we do get who we wanted, there would still be a 50% shot at that player not making it in the NFL.

Didn't Doug Flutie go to the Canadian league and return? Isn't Kapaernick's contract in the Canadian League?

Just a thought.

4. Digital

Digital Starter Finheaven VIP

Yes, it might. But this team has a lot of holes, one of which is the OL. I'm not sure a new coach is going to fix the OL and DL in one season.

Assuming we hire one of the defensive guys (Kris Richard or Brian Flores), there simply isn't enough resources to rebuild both lines in one offseason. We can assume that those guys will be investing heavily in at least 2 DE's and probably 1 DT, so Osweiler is unlikely to get the fixed OL he needs. If we use a power scheme, we need to let Ju'Wuan James go. If we use a ZBS, we have to make a decision at center and either bet on Sitton's health or move on from him somehow, salary cap permitting.

Chances are we will not be bringing in high priced free agents along the OL or DL if this is a tear down rebuild. We should expect our OL to be porous next year, no matter who is behind center. The most extreme tanking I've ever seen was when the Indianapolis Colts put that unbelievably bad back up QB in to "Suck for Luck" but I'm not expecting a new coach to go quite that far with the QB.

Ray R likes this.
  5. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

I agree with you. My point is the Browns sucked for years though just because the finally got it right doesn't prove the method as they had gotten it wrong for years previously.

Gonzo likes this.
  6. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Their methods in 2017 and 2018 were completely different. Obviously nobody wants to reproduce what they did in the years before. They nailed the drafts and made savvy FA moves, which is certainly different than what they had done in previous years. That team turned around in 2 years and became better than the Dolphins, with a brighter future.

I can’t be convinced that it will take 4, 5, or 6 years to fix this. There is too much parity in the league for that. A good GM gets it done faster, especially with a good coach and one of the several good QBs coming out over the next 3 years, particularly 2020 and 2021.

Ray R likes this.
  7. fish fan 4 life

fish fan 4 life Pro Bowler

I agree, we wanted him for sure and he would have been the pick if he fell to us.

8. dolfin530

dolfin530 Student of the Game

9. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

All the news today and you bump this?

10. dolfin530

dolfin530 Student of the Game

Just making sure the new coach understands it is bad idea LOL!