Cover 0 blitzes - What the hell was Flores thinking?! | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cover 0 blitzes - What the hell was Flores thinking?!

Or if they’re any good.

Or he realized everything is getting away from him and he now needs to fight for his job.
Oh goodness he signed a lengthy contract he knew they were handing him a straw team. And he is therefore safe at least till year three

Is he really? Do the Patriots call zero blitzes on 3rd and 20? Anybody got any evidence on that one?

Because I suspect they roll dime or even 7-8 db packages designed to cover and stop short of the sticks.

I understand this is from 2 weeks ago and a bit different context but I had seen a few things recently about their affinity for man coverage all across the board and heavy blitzing so that is what created the connection for my post...

3. Patriots confuse Sam Darnold and the Jets O-Line with Cover 0
As noted above, Sam Darnold had a rough night against New England while completing just 34.4% of his passes on 86 passing yards and four interceptions. Part of the narrative that Darnold was “seeing ghosts” came from the Patriots’ Cover 0 pressure and disguise packages. Cover 0 typically works because the defense will blitz more defenders than the offense has pass protectors, so at least one rusher will always come in unblocked.
However, this means that the defense must cover the offense’s receivers one-on-one with no help deep. A simple completion can turn into a touchdown against Cover 0. New England was able to get pressure while still providing their defensive backs with help, though. They did this by lining up on the line of scrimmage as if they were sending everyone, and outnumbering the pass protection before dropping one or two defenders off the line and into coverage after getting an offensive lineman to commit to blocking them

Is he really? Do the Patriots call zero blitzes on 3rd and 20? Anybody got any evidence on that one?

Because I suspect they roll dime or even 7-8 db packages designed to cover and stop short of the sticks.
Exactly. Plus if you play zero blitz u play tight press man. Not 10 yards off!

This topic was sort of my main take away from last night. Is this brilliant tanking strategy? Or is it due to unbelievably poor coaching? (Let's face it, that end of the half play shouldn't even happen at the HIGH SCHOOL level!)

I just can't imagine them calling that defense if they're actually trying to play competitively. They couldn't possibly be that bad? Or maybe they are? Unfortunately, we won't have that answer until next year which makes me a bit queesy.

I loved the Cover 0. Am I surprised that we had growing pains and looked like noobs? No at all since it beat watching our usual vanilla base defense and noodle pass rush.

Don't blame the defense... The offense couldn't score squat for the last 3 quarters plus and had 4 turnovers of their own. They were putrid.

Forget "tanking" some of these in-game play calls look like the Fins are actively throwing games. You've got 2 options essentially, the plays are consciously called to elicit bad outcomes, or the coaching staff is incompetent on a symphonic level, the more likely factor and the one most on-brand for this organization.

They had them 3 & 20 going into the end of heinz field that is notoriously difficult to make long FGs.

It was an asinine play call.

They still would’ve lost even after that play. They got shutout the second half and got figured out.

Show me evidence of a cover 0 where the cover players played 15 yards off the los pre snap. Or maybe 12 yard even.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen it. Lol

Show me evidence of a cover 0 where the cover players played 15 yards off the los pre snap. Or maybe 12 yard even.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen it. Lol
I'm sure if you looked at some of the Suck for Luck days in Indy, you might see something similar.

I know what he was thinking but the reality was even Mason Rudolph could stand back there and complete 30-50 percent of throws just launching it downfield we didn't have a defensive back who could touch the ball once Howard left.

And if a blitzer came free up the middle to sack Rudolph you wouldn't be talking about the play. Soooooooooo

And if a blitzer came free up the middle to sack Rudolph you wouldn't be talking about the play. Soooooooooo

The sad thing is, the main strategy behind cover 0 blitzes is obviously sending more guys than OL can block and throughout the game, we were STILL unable to actually get a blitzer through their OL. I think once, maybe?

I like calling creative, aggressive plays like this, but I question the wisdom of doing so with such a poor quality set of players.

Back
Top Bottom