Create First Picks? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Create First Picks?

So you trade guys who are already playing like super high first round picks, for first round picks next year that you hope might play like super high first round picks (but very possibly won't)?

Where is the advantage in doing that (other than saving some money)?

Only trade up for a QB. If the past nearly 20 years have shown us anything, it doesn’t matter how many high priced, former pro bowl players you have on the team. If you don’t have a franchise QB, it doesn’t amount to anything other than another .500 record.

If the QB you draft turns out to be a bust, you’re no worse off than you already were

Only trade up for a QB. If the past nearly 20 years have shown us anything, it doesn’t matter how many high priced, former pro bowl players you have on the team. If you don’t have a franchise QB, it doesn’t amount to anything other than another .500 record.

If the QB you draft turns out to be a bust, you’re no worse off than you already were
I'd trade up using current and future picks because all picks are a crap shoot.

Xavien Howard and Laremy Tunsil are two crap shoots we already won.

X plus swapping firsts may get you into the top 5 though which is probably what we need to land Murray or Haskins (the only two I would be happy to see us move up for). If we have to throw in a 3rd or 4th too then so be it.

According to the draft value chart, swapping firsts, a 2nd & 3rd plus another 1st & 2nd next year should be enough to get to #1. Best case scenario but there will be competition for the pick.

you just trade down in first to get next years first then you trade completely out of first to fetch another 1st rounder next year. Now we will have 3 1st rounders next year. very easy.

The Patriots are why I'm not a fan of overpaying anyone.

Stephon Gilmore (CB) makes 9.5 million, compared to Howard who wants 15 million?
Marcus Cannon (RT) makes 5.5 million, compared to James who wants 9 million?
Shaq Mason (RG) 4 million.
Joe Thuney (LG) 720,000.
Julian Edelman (WR) makes 2 million, and we are paying Parker 9 million, and Stills around the same?? Edelman is their best receiver.
David Andrews (C) makes 2 million.
Isaiah Wynn (LT) makes 1.7 million. And we are going to make Tunsil very highly paid soon.

Only 6 players on the Patriots make over 5 million a year and that's Cannon, Brady, Hightower, Gilmore, Gronk and McCourty and Allen.

The Patriots should be living proof that you don't need to overpay anyone except the QB. The Dolphins pay Tannehill, Quinn, Alonso, Parker, Stills, Jones, Branch and Wilson over 5 million.

According to the draft value chart, swapping firsts, a 2nd & 3rd plus another 1st & 2nd next year should be enough to get to #1. Best case scenario but there will be competition for the pick.

It's expensive and screws the rebuild next season also but I would still do it as until you fix the QB problem we are always going to be stuck in nothingness. But I prefer to use X as bait to lessen the cost, and I love X, just need to prioritise and an elite QB beats an elite CB.

It's expensive and screws the rebuild next season also but I would still do it as until you fix the QB problem we are always going to be stuck in nothingness. But I prefer to use X as bait to lessen the cost, and I love X, just need to prioritise and an elite QB beats an elite CB.

But you know X is damn good. Why not be patient when we know we will be 4-12 or 3-13 and have a young core to go with our franchise QB in Tua, Fromm or Herbert. We will get one of them.

Wake is a free agent so you can't trade him. Normally I'd not trade Howard but this might be a special situation where you're not ready to compete and you're trying to build thru the draft. Howard wants to be the highest paid corner in the NFL and by the time we're ready to make a run if ever, Howard might not be a part of it anyway. I'd insist tho in getting multiple picks. At least a one plus another pick as we'd now need two new starting corners. I think I'd keep Tunsil tho.

The Patriots are why I'm not a fan of overpaying anyone.

Stephon Gilmore (CB) makes 9.5 million, compared to Howard who wants 15 million?
Marcus Cannon (RT) makes 5.5 million, compared to James who wants 9 million?
Shaq Mason (RG) 4 million.
Joe Thuney (LG) 720,000.
Julian Edelman (WR) makes 2 million, and we are paying Parker 9 million, and Stills around the same?? Edelman is their best receiver.
David Andrews (C) makes 2 million.
Isaiah Wynn (LT) makes 1.7 million. And we are going to make Tunsil very highly paid soon.

Only 6 players on the Patriots make over 5 million a year and that's Cannon, Brady, Hightower, Gilmore, Gronk and McCourty and Allen.

The Patriots should be living proof that you don't need to overpay anyone except the QB. The Dolphins pay Tannehill, Quinn, Alonso, Parker, Stills, Jones, Branch and Wilson over 5 million.

Biggest difference here is the patriots are not scarred to lose the players that produce because they know that there are tons of other players that would love a shot to be successful in their organization. Right now that is not the case for us and until that culture change takes place if we want to retain these players we are going to have to pay. I personally think we should just clean house start over and try to set better examples for our young players moving forward. This can totally backfire if we don't have the right management in place to set these examples properly with the team. I thought gase was trying to get some of that through but just didn't get his players to really buy in so it didn't work. He struck me as a moody coach that the players just didn't get behind. where as belechick is no non sense but the players buy in cause what hes teaching makes sense.

Last edited:
I found it funny and impressive that the Patriots were paying their left tackle 1.7 million. So is it really crazy trading Tunsil? I wouldn’t unless it secured a QB I want.

In case you haven't noticed, we aren;'t the Patriots...

What about the issues with Howard's knees? I believe he's had problems with both now. We have Tunsil for two more years (5th year option) and only 1 more for Howard. For me it would depend on the future status of his knees. He's missed 13 games over 3 seasons.

But you know X is damn good. Why not be patient when we know we will be 4-12 or 3-13 and have a young core to go with our franchise QB in Tua, Fromm or Herbert. We will get one of them.

Fromm and Herbert are no where near Murray's level, they really aren't. Herbert has a high ceiling and the potential to be an elite QB in the NFL, but has a lot of rough edges. Tua is for me slightly below Murray in terms of talent, he's nowhere near Murray as a dual threat. Throwing the ball they are pretty close but I give the edge to Murray, Tua is taller and more pro ready. For me I would take either those two, but in order to get Tua, you absolutely have to have the first overall pick in 2020, that is going to be tough to obtain unless we go in full on tank mode. Murray I think could be got with a move into the top 5, X is the bait for that. Again Elite QB trumps Elite CB every time. X is due to be paid and honestly it might not be the wisest route for us to go down as we are locking up a lot of money in one player when the team doesn't have a QB that can actually give us a chance, really what's the point ?

Oh and I've said this a number of time but Fromm is nothing more than another Tannehill at best.

Back
Top Bottom