Cris Carter | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cris Carter

miadphan13

FinHeaven Cheerleader
Reaction score
Could we really get him now?? :)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1348029.html

Cleveland Browns officials have apprised Cris Carter and agent Mitch Frankel that they no longer are interested in signing the 15-year veteran and have ceased contract negotiations.

Carter met Tuesday with team officials and thought the team was prepared to offer him a deal worth $4 million annually. At that point, he phoned St. Louis coach Mike Martz to cancel his scheduled meeting with the Rams later that evening.

He misinterpreted the Cleveland offer, however, which was actually a two-year proposal for $4 million total, and including a signing bonus of $1 million. But when Carter realized his error and phoned Martz to request a later meeting, the Rams coach declined. Martz has said publicly that he might reconsider the Carter situation later this month, but he is privately telling Rams officials he has no plans now to sign the veteran wide receiver.

No DICE.

I don't want Chris Carter No how!
1.) he is a problem in the locker room.-disruptive
2.) he would take touches away from Chris Chambers.
- Chris was a rare find as a rookie-making an impact in his first year. He only will improve with time. And taking the ball out of his hands won't help him along. IMHO

Cris Carter IS NOT a problem in the locker room. Quite the contrary, he is a stabalizing force. A great leader who can still get it done.

That said, I'm not sure I want him. We're already loaded at WR. And CC would have to start. That would push OG to the bench, making McKnight the league's highest paid #4 and relegating Ward to spot duty (for $1 million).

WR is just not a need position.

My bet: Carter will end up with the Rams.

Where did you get the idea.....

That he was a stabalizing force in the locker room. He had a half dozen hisy fits on the side lines last year. One with a coach! And some of the Viking players said they were sick of his self seving holier than thou attitude.

I agree with Muck...

...we have no need for Carter. Gadsden is a bigger, stronger, younger, more athletic possession receiver.

And by the way, let me be among the first to suggest that Ward will pass McKnight on the depth chart next year.

Jeff

I agree with Muck. Monkey,

The guy has one of the best works habits ive ever seen. He IS a great leader and he makes the people around him better. Not only does he drag R. Moss to his off season workouts he mentors him (i know that sounds bad but Moss is the best reciever when he wants to be and CC cant control Moss's mentality). He would fit good to mentor the other CC. And he never got in hisy fits back when they were winning, maybe he is just a perfectionist and a leader that will get in anyones face who isnt playin up to there potential, and you cant possibly not like that. There is no way he could hurt our chances of winning. And he could only help Chambers. And he is alot different from Chambers so he wouldnt take away any of his touches. For every deep threat you need a possesion reciever to bring in the cluth catches (unless you use the Rams offense).

Not Buying your Post

A leader doesn't have a fit winning or loosing. Dan M. used to snap a little on the side lines. But he was intense.

What are you talkin about the great ones get a little firy, when things arent goin good, just like every one else. M. Jordan punched J. Paxston in the face in the early 90's. And sense he threw a little fit are you tellin me he is not a leader?

Alright....good arguments on both sides there. The bottom line is that CARTER has apparently burned some bridges with some other teams....however not any of them are the MIAMI DOLPHINS.
I heard that CARTER had a nice talk with WANN-SPIEL...and that they just told him to stay in touch. There was never a point where any type of negotiating was going on. Carter basically gave the Dolphins his asking price...1.5 million for 2 years...and then moved on. Now...it looks like CARTER may indeed fall back and resume his talks with the Dolphins. If the RAMS and BROWNS are out....the only other teams that he probably wants to talk with right now...are the EAGLES...and the DOLPHINS.
Like I said before...the Dolphins can give CARTER a low base...incentive-laden contract...one in which he can achieve his desired salary...all he would have to do..is simply earn it.
I think the Dolphins are interested...especially if CARTER contacts them to say that he is ready to come home..and work something out. Stay tuned.
DCH

I'm Seriously With Monkey on this Debate

Carter only seems to be interested in winning if the money's there. If this weren't true then they guy would be in St. Louis right now with a new contract in hand. :eek:

As far as his numerous and frequent hissy fits, they've been there all along. He didn't do the hissies when they were winning because everything was going his way, as soon as there was the slightest hint of adversity however, he started whining and moaning just like he did before they started winning. :yell:

The reason that Chris Carter was even going to St. Louis for a second time and not signed last week is because several of the players and coaches had questions about his character. Martz had meetings and dinners set up between Carter and Warner, Bruce, Faulk and some of the coaching staff. This definitely does not sound like a "stabilizing force" in the locker room to me, does it to you Muck?:confused:

Also, Carter didn't cancel with St. Louis, they cancelled with him because he was supposed to be in St. Louis for all of these meetings and called right before he was supposed to attend to tell them he wouldn't be able to make it. The reason? He said that he hadn't had a chance to tell Butch Davis bye-bye.

My source for the above information is Jim Rome, who can be arrogant but generally has excellent sources.

Finally, Kailee Wong is my brother in law's cousin (they are first cousins and are close so this isn't some twice removed on his mom's side thing.) Wong has said on numerous occasions that most of the team does not get along well with Carter because the guy's way to pompous and selfish.

Finally, I agree that Carter has a great work ethic- he couldn't continue at his level the way he does without an excellent dedication to fitness- but his attitude and selfishness is a complete liability.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, and again, and again...Carter would hurt the 'Fins continuity and stunt the growth of a potential superstar in Chambers. I'm sure Wann-Speil have seen this as well and that's why no offer was tendered to the aging FA disruption.:fire:

:monkey:Chris Carter on the Dolphins

Originally posted by miadphan13
Could we really get him now?? :)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1348029.html

Cleveland Browns officials have apprised Cris Carter and agent Mitch Frankel that they no longer are interested in signing the 15-year veteran and have ceased contract negotiations.

Carter met Tuesday with team officials and thought the team was prepared to offer him a deal worth $4 million annually. At that point, he phoned St. Louis coach Mike Martz to cancel his scheduled meeting with the Rams later that evening.

He misinterpreted the Cleveland offer, however, which was actually a two-year proposal for $4 million total, and including a signing bonus of $1 million. But when Carter realized his error and phoned Martz to request a later meeting, the Rams coach declined. Martz has said publicly that he might reconsider the Carter situation later this month, but he is privately telling Rams officials he has no plans now to sign the veteran wide receiver.
I think C-Carter would be a great pickup,, but at the veterans minimum!!! After trading for R W's and probably reworking his contract cash might be limited - the offensive line now needs the attention , Searcy is a good pickup at a decent price but injuries and the fact that he has not played for 2 years, indicates the need is still there. O-Line sleepers have been found in the later rnds but most are tweeners that can backup or play special teams,, this is an area that needs to be upgraded for this trade to have any chance of paying off !!!! Marino1983

Cris Carter is more than welcome to come here, he can hang on to the ball much better than McKnight. Him and Chambers working together would be better than sex on prom night.:D (yeah, yeah, say what you will:rolleyes:)

Hey Expo

Originally posted by Expo88
This definitely does not sound like a "stabilizing force" in the locker room to me, does it to you Muck?:confused:

Again, I've got to bring up Michael Jordan. The guy was an ARROGANT AZZHOLE in Chicago. After a season of abuse, Bill Cartwright pulled him aside and told him he'd break his legs if he didn't lay off. Horace Grant left the Bulls because of Jordan's antics. Jordan punched Paxson in the face. He got on EVERYBODY'S nerves.

But you know what?? He was the leader of that team. And even with all that crap they put up with from him, they still looked up to him. When things go bad, he's pissed off. That's how a leader reacts to losing. He hates it. And that's what makes Carter and Jordan so great. They HATE losing and will not tolerate teammates who accept it.

Again, let me reiterate that I'm not interested in Carter. We don't need him. But when the chips are down, I want a guy like Carter to react with fire. Not passively like our team does.

Guys may not like him (and what your brother in-law says is indeed hearsay), but Carter DOES NOT hurt that team (Vikes). He stabalizes them. He's their daddy.

You know why most of those Minny players supposedly don't like him?? Because they aren't WINNERS!! Just look at them.

You guys are being pretty harsh about McKnight. If we don't sign Carter then the phins are going to do what they should have done last year and make OG the 3rd reciever. McKnight and Chambers on the outside with OG being the slot reciever makes a hell of a lot more sense then what we did last year. Having McKnight in the slot was one of the bigger boneheaded moves of the year. You don't put speed in the slot. He will play much better on the outside. MARK MY WORDS ;)

Muck,

I'm not sure where you got the idea that what I was told wasn't hearsay. By definition if it's sourced from a third party then it is, in fact, just that, and that is precisely what I portrayed it to be.

As far as Chris carter is concerned, it's interesting that a large part of his team, the fans of Minnesota, and the outstanding veteran players from St. Louis all have questions/concerns about his attitude and behavior yet you somehow continue to defend this guy as a unifier; he is not now, nor has he ever been. He was good for Randy Moss in the beginning because Moss needed someone someone with a bigger attitude to put him in his place, once Moss outgrew him (and seemingly the rest of the NFL for that matter) Carter reverted to his prior cry baby self. Make no mistake; he was a key factor behind the offensive collapse last year. When Culpepper needed support he received derision from a "respected" leader. When the team was grieving over the loss of a teamate and friend he was focused on #1.

And as far as the MJ analogy goes, from what I understand, that was early on in his career. He is no longer, nor has he been for some time, a hot head like that. Carter on the other hand was a hot head in the beginning of his career and continues to be so to this day.

He is/was a great player. He does have an incredible work ethic. He is not unselfish, and he is not a unifying force in the locker room.
:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom