Crossman In, Rizzi Out | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Crossman In, Rizzi Out

I believe Pride would not allow Rizzi to come back..don't blame the guy.

Exactly. If the Dolphins wanted to keep Rizzi they should not have interviewed him for the head job. Once that invitation was extended many of us predicted Rizzi would leave if he didn't get the role. It only makes sense. I'm somewhat surprised it took this long to play out.

So many variables in special teams. The Dolphins did almost everything well. Hard to believe anyone is questioning Rizzi's level, and assuming we'll maintain the same standards. In particular Dolphin fans don't like to acknowledge how terrible opposing teams are at making field goals against Miami. Kicks that always look automatic elsewhere are misery against the Dolphins. I was thinking that when the Rams kicker lined up for those two long field goals against the Saints, one at end of regulation and then in overtime for the win. Lotsa luck making those kicks back to back against the Dolphins, at least with Rizzi running the special teams and getting in the kicker's head all day with relentless but varied rush schemes.

Grant is not a consistent returner but always a threat to pop one. His absence probably prevented at least one or two meaningful returns later in the season.

I don't get all the new found rizzi love. Without the couple video clips of him losing his **** on the sideline nobody would care. For some reason a lot of people equate high intensity to quality. He was ok, but certainly not worth all this concern.

I won't miss watching our kick returners fail to reach the 20 yard line over and over

A google search and not even a minute of research would help before making baseless claims like this.

Miami was one of five teams in the NFL with a kickoff return touchdown and was ranked 12/32 in kick return yard average.

I refer folks to Barry Jackson’s article on Rizzi’s data over a large sample size. The numbers say he consistently did very well.

Jimmy used to say that people underestimated the importance of ST’s. He thought he could generate alpha for the team there because others may overlook it.

A google search and not even a minute of research would help before making baseless claims like this.

Miami was one of five teams in the NFL with a kickoff return touchdown and was ranked 12/32 in kick return yard average.

To be fair, those stats also include the yards from where you returned it in the end zone no? looking at it we average 24.1 yards per return which seems nice, but let's say we're 3/4 yards in the redzone returning those kicks, it means we're actually giving up yards compared to if we took a touchback so in some sense I think that stat is a tad misleading.

Rizzi's best trait as a ST coach was his work on kickers and FG/Punt defenses. but his return units tended to be hit or miss

IMO there are 3 separate issues here. It's understandable why our best coach last year did not want to come back.

However I'm more interested why from Flores POV he wanted to "go in another direction" while retaining a few other frankly more disposable coaches. What was his thinking? It certainly wasn't to purge the entire cadre of coaches. Did he feel threatened by Rizzi?

And finally of all the STCs and STCs in training, why of all possibilities did he choose one of the worst performing ones who was fired because of that?

Not surprised at all Rizzi left.

We've been lucky to have sound special teams coaches. Mike Westhoff / Darren Rizzi but I'm not as concerned about losing a special teams coach. Give me a grade A offensive Co and Defensive Co and I'm happy.

IMO there are 3 separate issues here. It's understandable why our best coach last year did not want to come back.

However I'm more interested why from Flores POV he wanted to "go in another direction" while retaining a few other frankly more disposable coaches. What was his thinking? It certainly wasn't to purge the entire cadre of coaches. Did he feel threatened by Rizzi?

And finally of all the STCs and STCs in training, why of all possibilities did he choose one of the worst performing ones who was fired because of that?

So i was in a situation a few years ago where I applied for a head coaching job, was one of the final 2 for the job, and unfortunately did not get it. However, they asked my to stay on as the asst coach/DC as the administration thought me and the guy that was named HC would work great together.

Roughly a month in, we sat down and decided that it was way too difficult to work together, because as HC - he felt that he had to worry about his job with them keeping another potential HC on the staff. For me - i knew I was and am overqualified to be a positional coach, so it was hard sitting back and going back to a yes man after being in the final interview room. So we parted ways.

Turn the clocks forward to now and this is one of the best decisions I ever made as I am in a position to do much better in my career, while the other team is what it is and will be able to completely start fresh.

Sorry for the 3 paragraph anecdote, but I think this is similar to the Rizzi situation. If he was kept on as ST Coach (especially with Caldwell taking his role as AC) I couldn't see them making it that far without it becoming uncomfortable. With the other 2 coaches (that you listed as disposable) they did not interview for the HC job, nor are they looked at as current candidates. They are also guys that seem to be high energy and well liked. It is nice to have some familiarity in the building at low places, just not as high as second in command.

I wish Darren all the best in his future endeavors, and hope (like I hope for Dan Campbell) that he gets his crack at being a HC, but I also think it is best for all parties involved to split and go their separate ways to start over.

So i was in a situation a few years ago where I applied for a head coaching job, was one of the final 2 for the job, and unfortunately did not get it. However, they asked my to stay on as the asst coach/DC as the administration thought me and the guy that was named HC would work great together.

Roughly a month in, we sat down and decided that it was way too difficult to work together, because as HC - he felt that he had to worry about his job with them keeping another potential HC on the staff. For me - i knew I was and am overqualified to be a positional coach, so it was hard sitting back and going back to a yes man after being in the final interview room. So we parted ways.

Turn the clocks forward to now and this is one of the best decisions I ever made as I am in a position to do much better in my career, while the other team is what it is and will be able to completely start fresh.

Sorry for the 3 paragraph anecdote, but I think this is similar to the Rizzi situation. If he was kept on as ST Coach (especially with Caldwell taking his role as AC) I couldn't see them making it that far without it becoming uncomfortable. With the other 2 coaches (that you listed as disposable) they did not interview for the HC job, nor are they looked at as current candidates. They are also guys that seem to be high energy and well liked. It is nice to have some familiarity in the building at low places, just not as high as second in command.

I wish Darren all the best in his future endeavors, and hope (like I hope for Dan Campbell) that he gets his crack at being a HC, but I also think it is best for all parties involved to split and go their separate ways to start over.

I hear ya, your points well-taken, but still doesn't address why he focused in on the Bills' trash.. which was my third identified issue.

LOL to the people who think we will try to lose or tank in 2019

Next season is going to be fun listening to you nuts.

Lol ok you think we are gonna be better than last year? We are not gonna be good whether we are trying to lose or not so I’m not really sure of your point here

Lol ok you think we are gonna be better than last year? We are not gonna be good whether we are trying to lose or not so I’m not really sure of your point here

Where did I say we will be better???

There's a big difference in intentionally losing and struggling to win during what looks to be a rebuild season.

I said we will not try to lose where you clearly did. Dont try to spin out of it.

Last edited:
Where did I say we will be better???

I said we will not try to lose where you clearly did. Dont try to spin out of it.

You are a strange one bruh. My initial comment was implying we are losing a superior special teams coach imo so if we are trying to lose than this is on par. I think we are gonna win 2-4 games so I really don’t understand how “it’s gonna be fun listening to us nuts next year”. Do you forget that everyone still spending time on Dolphins message board after decades of trash must be pretty solid fans? Come on Phindog lighten up a little

Back
Top Bottom