Csonka,Kiick,Warfield in 1974 and now Ricky | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Csonka,Kiick,Warfield in 1974 and now Ricky

camanda

Scout Team
Reaction score
Hi folks.

I've been through this "blind-sided, sucker punched fan" scenario before, way back in 1974. My favorite player back then was Larry Csonka. I collected his trading cards, made the trip to Buffalo once a season with my parents to watch him run over the Bills, and had the kind of innocent devotion a kid has for a player.

I lost most of that innocence the morning I read about the defection of Csonka, Kiick and Warfield to the fledgling WFL. It was my first really big "hurt" in my life (at 12 yrs. old I hadn't been broken by a girl yet) and it took weeks to absorb. And the team kept winning, but it opened the door for Pittsburgh to emerge.

Unfortunately, an older but not wiser version of me fell into that same reckless admiration of Ricky Williams when Miami landed him in the 2002 trade with the Saints. The kid seemed too good to be true. And in the end, he was.

To the fans of the Dolphins who are ready to either hate Ricky forever, or give up on the season today, hang in there. Someone will step into the void he left. Wait to see who it is. I wish Wanny was half the man/coach that Shula was as far as leading the team through this mess, so I could feel that the team will keep winning.

I like Muck's optimistic outlook...things are changing and let's see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom