Culpepper was the "right" choice, and even Brees would have sucked here. Tua is THE right choice, but he needs a team around! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Culpepper was the "right" choice, and even Brees would have sucked here. Tua is THE right choice, but he needs a team around!

Blake the great

Club Member
Reaction score
Folks remember the circumstances here, Brees had just undergone shoulder surgery in which his shoulder was a complete mess. Most teams would have passed on him. Culpepper was coming off a knee injury which I mean, you generally see athletes successfully come back from.

Also, just because Brees was successful with the Saints doesn't mean he would have enjoyed that success with us. In New Orleans he got to work with the offensive genius that is Sean Payton meanwhile he wouldn't have had nearly that type of situation in Miami. Most likely Saban still would have bailed leading to the continued disarray the franchise went into after that. It's more likely Brees would have been cut 2/3 years after, if that long, than having the same level of success he had with New Orleans.

We need to prevent this from happening to Tua. He's THE ONE, the one who's to truly succeed "Dan the Man." They need to protect him with a sense of urgency!

Regardless of injuries (which they both had pretty serious injuries) Drew Brees was always my preference and I was so disappointed when we decided to trade for Culpepper who had one or two good years but I was never a fan of his and thought he was overrated. Conversely, I was a big time Drew Brees fan.

But I understand the point you are trying to make and its definitely something to think about, however; I think Drew Brees would have had some success here, definitely a lot more than Culpepper.

1972forever

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Which QB skills has Tua revealed that has fans enthused about his potential ? * sorry I was not able to watch the Dolphins games during the 2020 season.
The two negatives regarding Tua is he doesn’t have the arm strength of a QB like Herbert and Allen. His durability because of his injury history is a concern.

Other than those two concerns, I see no other issue with Tua that would prevent him from being an excellent QB in the NFL.

1972forever

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
That and Brees IMO did not want to come to Miami.
Actually Brees has stated that his first choice was the Dolphins and he was upset when the Doctors advised the Dolphins not to sign him. Brees had previously gone to New Orleans but decided not to sign a contract because Saban was flying to Alabama to have him sign a contract once the Doctors cleared him.

Once the Dolphin Doctors failed to clear him medically, Saban returned to Miami and the Dolphins traded for Culpepper and Brees went back to New Orleans and signed with the Saints.

Last edited:

KingHydra

Club Member
Reaction score
I was sad we didnt sign Drew Brees, but I was excited when we signed Culpepper. Looking back on that, it is a bad memory.

1972forever

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I was sad we didnt sign Drew Brees, but I was excited when we signed Culpepper. Looking back on that, it is a bad memory.
I think most Dolphin fans looked at Culpepper as a big upgrade at the QB position at the time. With Brees coming off major shoulder surgery, Culpepper looked like the best QB available at the time and giving up a 2nd round pick for him made a lot of sense.
Unfortunately it didn’t work out with Culpepper and the Dolphin Doctors were completely wrong in stating that Brees wouldn’t recover from his shoulder surgery and be able to play football again. Hindsight is always 100%.

GhostArmOfMarino

Club Member
Reaction score
Bringing Culpepper into it makes me think you're an Alabama fan not a Dolphin fan.

Culpepper was the right choice? Seriously?

TheRook

Rookie
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
To me, it's the first loss of Brees that was far more damaging. By the second chance, there were legitimate health concerns and the team was already deep into its death spiral to mediocrity or worse. Brees on that loaded 2001 team would have been epic, even if he still had a learning curve.

I'm excited to watch Tua the rest of this year now. Expectations have been sufficiently lowered for him and the team in general, so he can just get out there and play. I'm rooting for him...like many others on here, I'm getting too old for constant rebuilds...I really want this one to work! It's not off to a great start, but there is still time. I knee jerk like so many others to the "fire everyone" mode quickly, but the logical side of me tells me to calm down and let this season play out.

GhostArmOfMarino

Club Member
Reaction score
To me, it's the first loss of Brees that was far more damaging. By the second chance, there were legitimate health concerns and the team was already deep into its death spiral to mediocrity or worse. Brees on that loaded 2001 team would have been epic, even if he still had a learning curve.

I'm excited to watch Tua the rest of this year now. Expectations have been sufficiently lowered for him and the team in general, so he can just get out there and play. I'm rooting for him...like many others on here, I'm getting too old for constant rebuilds...I really want this one to work! It's not off to a great start, but there is still time. I knee jerk like so many others to the "fire everyone" mode quickly, but the logical side of me tells me to calm down and let this season play out.

Its one thing to say it was an understandable choice at the time, implying it was the right choice in hindsight is the most absurd football opinion I've ever heard in my life.

1972forever

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Bringing Culpepper into it makes me think you're an Alabama fan not a Dolphin fan.

Culpepper was the right choice? Seriously?

At the time the Dolphin Doctors would not clear Brees and therefore the Dolphins decided not to sign him. Saban wanted to upgrade the QB position, so he decided to trade a second round pick to the Vikings for Culpepper.

Obviously in hindsight that was a terrible decision and Saban should have overruled the Doctors and signed Brees anyway, but
that didn’t happen. I really don’t remember a lot of people being upset with the trade for Culpepper at the time and other than the Dolphins and the Saints, no other NFL team had interest in signing Brees after he had just had major shoulder surgery.

Brees obviously was the right choice but looking at the situation at the time, I fully understand why they went with Culpepper instead of Brees. If you don‘t understand why they made that decisions at that time, I really don’t know what to tell you.

As far as me being an Alabama fan is concerned. I have been a University of Miami fan since 1961. I have zero respect for Saban and the way he lied before leaving the Dolphins and taking the job at Alabama. While I think he is an excellent college coach, my second favorite college team every week is whatever team is playing Alabama.

I only root for Alabama players once they become Miami Dolphins.

GhostArmOfMarino

Club Member
Reaction score
At the time the Dolphin Doctors would not clear Brees and therefore the Dolphins decided not to sign him. Saban wanted to upgrade the QB position, so he decided to trade a second round pick to the Vikings for Culpepper.

Obviously in hindsight that was a terrible decision and Saban should have overruled the Doctors and signed Brees anyway, but
that didn’t happen. I really don’t remember a lot of people being upset with the trade for Culpepper at the time and other than the Dolphins and the Saints, no other NFL team had interest in signing Brees after he had just had major shoulder surgery.

Brees obviously was the right choice but looking at the situation at the time, I fully understand why they went with Culpepper instead of Brees. If you don‘t understand why they made that decisions at that time, I really don’t know what to tell you.

As far as me being an Alabama fan is concerned. I have been a University of Miami fan since 1961. I have zero respect for Saban and the way he lied before leaving the Dolphins and taking the job at Alabama. While I think he is an excellent college coach, my second favorite college team every week is whatever team is playing Alabama.

I only root for Alabama players once they become Miami Dolphins.

I wouldn't disagree that at the time it was an understandable decision. If that is the opinion though I don't see what it has to do with Tua at all.

His post relies on the idea that it was actually the right choice to make in hindsight, which is what I find so ridiculous.

Pretty sure Culpepper would sign Brees over himself in hindsight if he was GM.

1972forever

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't disagree that at the time it was an understandable decision. If that is the opinion though I don't see what it has to do with Tua at all.

His post relies on the idea that it was actually the right choice to make in hindsight, which is what I find so ridiculous.

Pretty sure Culpepper would sign Brees over himself in hindsight if he was GM.
We all know that trading for Culpepper and not signing Brees was a huge mistake. I totally disagree with the OP that Brees would have sucked with the Dolphins. Yet Brees did end up in a better position for him at the time because Payton is a far greater offensive mind than any offensive HC or OC the Dolphins have had in the last 3 decades.

dreamblk

Club Member
Reaction score
We all know that trading for Culpepper and not signing Brees was a huge mistake. I totally disagree with the OP that Brees would have sucked with the Dolphins. Yet Brees did end up in a better position for him at the time because Payton is a far greater offensive mind than any offensive HC or OC the Dolphins have had in the last 3 decades.
Exactly

AphexPhin

Starter
Reaction score
Folks remember the circumstances here, Brees had just undergone shoulder surgery in which his shoulder was a complete mess. Most teams would have passed on him. Culpepper was coming off a knee injury which I mean, you generally see athletes successfully come back from.

Also, just because Brees was successful with the Saints doesn't mean he would have enjoyed that success with us. In New Orleans he got to work with the offensive genius that is Sean Payton meanwhile he wouldn't have had nearly that type of situation in Miami. Most likely Saban still would have bailed leading to the continued disarray the franchise went into after that. It's more likely Brees would have been cut 2/3 years after, if that long, than having the same level of success he had with New Orleans.

We need to prevent this from happening to Tua. He's THE ONE, the one who's to truly succeed "Dan the Man." They need to protect him with a sense of urgency!
Please lets not bring up the whole missing out on Brees thing. Just thinking about it makes my skin crawl. And to make matters worse, we actually passed on Brees in the draft too (and drafted Jamar Fletcher even though we already had Patrick Surtain and Sam Madison ) We have to be one of the worst / incompetent organizations out there. smh

GhostArmOfMarino

Club Member
Reaction score

I don't disagree with that. Then again, as much as I hate the slime ball maybe Saban and Brees would have been a really good combo.

Top Bottom