Culpepper was the "right" choice, and even Brees would have sucked here. Tua is THE right choice, but he needs a team around! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Culpepper was the "right" choice, and even Brees would have sucked here. Tua is THE right choice, but he needs a team around!

SF_Dolphins_Fan

Scout Team
Reaction score
The two negatives regarding Tua is he doesn’t have the arm strength of a QB like Herbert and Allen. His durability because of his injury history is a concern.

Other than those two concerns, I see no other issue with Tua that would prevent him from being an excellent QB in the NFL.

Does Tua stare down receivers or is he skilled at misleading the secondary by looking one way and eventually throwing to a different target ?

Namor

Pro Bowler
Club Member
Reaction score
Brees @ 75% > than Culpepper@100%......All day,every day....

67Stang

Club Member
Reaction score
Brees was good in SD before NO, not quite as good but either was their team. He flourished under the Big Easy system.
Drew Brees had a passer rating of 84.9 with 12,348 yards, 80 touchdowns and 53 interceptions in 59 games for the San Diego Chargers in his career.
Brees was not very good in San Diego. His last 2 years in SD were pedestrian, and his first 3 years were horrible. He really didn't become really good until 2008, his 3rd year with the Saints. People just don't give QBs a chance anymore. Tua's numbers are SIGNIFICANLTLY better than Brees' in his first few years in the league.

jtoomuch

Apalled and aghast
Reaction score
The two negatives regarding Tua is he doesn’t have the arm strength of a QB like Herbert and Allen. His durability because of his injury history is a concern.

Other than those two concerns, I see no other issue with Tua that would prevent him from being an excellent QB in the NFL.
I don't really get the arm strength stuff. I have seen him throw some beautiful deep passes. Fix the O-line.

Bridgeburner

Active Roster
Reaction score
ah, yes, the ole the mysterious mystique theory that hall of fame players would have been garbage here so why even bother to get good players?!

rocfins

Rookie
Reaction score
Folks remember the circumstances here, Brees had just undergone shoulder surgery in which his shoulder was a complete mess. Most teams would have passed on him. Culpepper was coming off a knee injury which I mean, you generally see athletes successfully come back from.

Also, just because Brees was successful with the Saints doesn't mean he would have enjoyed that success with us. In New Orleans he got to work with the offensive genius that is Sean Payton meanwhile he wouldn't have had nearly that type of situation in Miami. Most likely Saban still would have bailed leading to the continued disarray the franchise went into after that. It's more likely Brees would have been cut 2/3 years after, if that long, than having the same level of success he had with New Orleans.

We need to prevent this from happening to Tua. He's THE ONE, the one who's to truly succeed "Dan the Man." They need to protect him with a sense of urgency!
First of Culpepper was garbage. Brees would of done much better then Culpepper. Do I think he would of had the same success as he did with Saints obviously not but definitely wouldn't have been as bad as Culpepper. Plus we would of kept our 2nd pick with Brees. Talk amongst yourselves

1972forever

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree with that. Then again, as much as I hate the slime ball maybe Saban and Brees would have been a really good combo.
Saban has claimed that he left the Dolphins because he didn’t get Brees. I just don’t believe him. I think he realized early on that he preferred coaching college football over the NFL. His wife hated South Florida and she pushed him to go back to college football.

The job at Alabama was too good for him to remain in Miami and I think he would have gone back to coaching in college whether Brees came to Miami or not. He never really wanted to leave LSU but Huizenga kept upping the offer until eventually he just couldn’t say no.

Yet two years in the NFL and a job offer from Alabama was all he needed to be convinced the NFL wasn’t the right place for him. I think his wife was ready to leave South Florida from the moment she got here.

Tua-N MARINO

Scout Team
Reaction score
Regardless of injuries (which they both had pretty serious injuries) Drew Brees was always my preference and I was so disappointed when we decided to trade for Culpepper who had one or two good years but I was never a fan of his and thought he was overrated. Conversely, I was a big time Drew Brees fan.

But I understand the point you are trying to make and its definitely something to think about, however; I think Drew Brees would have had some success here, definitely a lot more than Culpepper.
Thank you for your thoughtful response.

biggrouper

Scout Team
Club Member
Reaction score
Hindsight will destroy any intelligent argument in this arena.
We absolutely KNOW that it was the wrong choice even if it was the better choice prior to that knowledge being obtained.

Tupac Shakur

troublesome
Club Member
Reaction score
gus frerotte > culpepper

pepp was a victim of randy moss syndrome. when you have randy moss in his prime, you can look a lot better than you are. just heave it up to 84 and good things will happen. hell he even made an old asz jeff george, brad johnson, and randall cunningham look like world beaters.

while it's true drew brees wasn't really drew brees yet in the spring of 06, he showed enough to clearly be the better choice. he was miami's first choice. we were his first choice. it should have happened. we screwed up the 2001 draft and this was a gift from the gods to make it right and we ****ed it up as usual. just another in a long line of making the wrong choice when presented with a golden opportunity. the stadium. the owner. the logo. every qb. almost every first round pick since the 90s. and that's why we are totally irrelevant.

DolfanISS

Perennial All-Pro
Club Member
Reaction score
gus frerotte > culpepper

pepp was a victim of randy moss syndrome. when you have randy moss in his prime, you can look a lot better than you are. just heave it up to 84 and good things will happen. hell he even made an old asz jeff george, brad johnson, and randall cunningham look like world beaters.

while it's true drew brees wasn't really drew brees yet in the spring of 06, he showed enough to clearly be the better choice. he was miami's first choice. we were his first choice. it should have happened. we screwed up the 2001 draft and this was a gift from the gods to make it right and we ****ed it up as usual. just another in a long line of making the wrong choice when presented with a golden opportunity. the stadium. the owner. the logo. every qb. almost every first round pick since the 90s. and that's why we are totally irrelevant.
It’s funny, and I hate to stick up for Culpepper in any way, but there was a stretch in which he played his best football and Randy Moss was out injured or ailing. I remember folks sharing it with the stats back in the day but don’t want to put the effort in now.

Found it, 04 was Culpeppera beat year and Moss played 13 games, almost all of them, and had 49 catches for 767 yards receiving. Nate Burleson was the Vikings leading WR that year. It was Culpeppers beat year as a pro QB.

Top Bottom