Culpepper was the "right" choice, and even Brees would have sucked here. Tua is THE right choice, but he needs a team around! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Culpepper was the "right" choice, and even Brees would have sucked here. Tua is THE right choice, but he needs a team around!

John813

Second String
Reaction score
That and Brees IMO did not want to come to Miami.

https://news.sportslogos.net/2021/0...-jersey-made-for-drew-brees-in-2006/football/
bleacherreport.com/articles/1448986-miami-dolphins-nick-saban-says-team-offered-drew-brees-contract-in-2006
^ Even when I select "link" the forum converts the http to media and it shows up blank.
Copy and paste for article if you care what Saban said.

https://miamiherald.typepad.com/dol...ubject-directly-for-the-first-time-it-wa.html
The Saints were desperate to make a statement that would be perceived as a vote of confidence in the city and would drive ticket sales. They made that statement by offering Brees a five-year contract that included $8 million guaranteed the first year and a $10 million option the second year.

Brees was blown away, but sources insisted he really preferred to play for the Dolphins instead.

So he left New Orleans without signing a contract and flew to South Florida. He had dinner with Saban at a place called Grille 66 in Fort Lauderdale which to this day remains where the Dolphins take their free agents and coach candidates and alike.

Everything seemed cool but the next day weirded Brees out. He was reportedly subjected to a six-hour physical that centered, of course, around his surgically repaired shoulder. To this day, I am not certain whether or not the Dolphins made Brees an offer. A good source close to Brees insisted Miami did, although it was a lowball offer.

Both Saban and Mueller said that they did offer a contract to Brees, but the medical staff didn't clear him. Saints came back with a 6yr 60mil deal and that's that.

AZStryker

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The brainiacs on this board. “Small, injured, weak armed QBs are a terrible idea and will never be an elite QB. You have to go prototypical size, athleticism, and arm strength every time!”

Also “Brees was the obvious choice over Culpepper.”

Now I agree that Brees was the obvious choice but something doesn’t quite add up here.

39wildman

Club Member
Reaction score
We would of been much better team w drew bress as our qb..I would say N.E dont win that much SB with drew on dolphins...we alway pick wrong qb..we miss again w herbert..this is unbelievable....dolphins are lacking big time qb like other good team in afc

1972forever

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
The lengths people go… to try and convince tua was the right choice.
Tua was the choice and he is the Dolphins QB. Whining about the fact they didn’t select Herbert instead is no better than a child who cries when he doesn’t get what he really wanted at Christmas. Deal with it or become a Charger fan.

39wildman

Club Member
Reaction score
Bress vs Rivers was easy choice.. let bress walk once he got hurt..chargers was very smart run organization back than..that move I think dolphins might need to do..draft another qb.

GhostArmOfMarino

Club Member
Reaction score
The brainiacs on this board. “Small, injured, weak armed QBs are a terrible idea and will never be an elite QB. You have to go prototypical size, athleticism, and arm strength every time!”

Also “Brees was the obvious choice over Culpepper.”

Now I agree that Brees was the obvious choice but something doesn’t quite add up here.

That isnt the argument, that's a huge strawman.

The argument is that if you lack those things like Tua does you need to compensate by being mentally elite, above overs with those talents, if you want to be a top QB. Some of us don't see that in Tua.

AZStryker

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
That isnt the argument, that's a huge strawman.

The argument is that if you lack those things like Tua does you need to compensate by being mentally elite, above overs with those talents, if you want to be a top QB. Some of us don't see that in Tua.

First of all those are actually hot takes from some of the other brainiacs. In fact they’ve regurgitated that over and over it wouldn’t be that hard for you to find.

What indications of being “mentally elite” did you see in Drew Brees through year 2? Hell year 5 even?

Brees became the mentally elite player you remember when he received proper coaching and put in an effective offensive scheme sounded by complimentary talent.

I know, I know he’s your outlier. There’s just no way for a hardworking and ultra dedicated kid whose found success everywhere he’s been to replicate that type of success because ….. why now???

Maybe Memories

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Tua was the choice and he is the Dolphins QB. Whining about the fact they didn’t select Herbert instead is no better than a child who cries when he doesn’t get what he really wanted at Christmas. Deal with it or become a Charger fan.
No whining here. This thread was started by trying to force a narrative. Daunte was the right choice? Tua was the right choice? No, neither of them were. Either way, we gotta live with it…

Top Bottom